• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino frances June 23rd

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Even if you don't, I'm sure you'll meet plenty of folks out there. It's always good to start alone, that's what I say!

23rd June start

Hi StaceyNicole,
If you are planning to reach Santiago around about the 25th July - the feast day of St James - I would suggest you try to reserve a room in Santiago before you leave home. The city has thousands, sometimes millions of 'tourist pilgrims' arriving on the Saints' Day.
Have a wonderful walk - and give the saint a hug for me when you get there!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm with Minkey on this one. It's such a personal experience. I know of best friends that have split up because of probs. in getting along with each other while on their journeys, what with diff walking rhytms, temperaments, not having "lived" with the person and there u r with them, 24/7 for weeks, etc. On the other hand I know of people that have bonded for life. Such an unpredictable experience...Best, xm 8)

Stayceynicole you will not be alone. You will meet many pilgrims and arriving in Santiago at the end of July, the camino will be like an "autobahn" around Munich at 8 am on a week day in October...

Buen Camino and come back to tell us your experiences.

Thank you for all your posts guys, I'm really glad I'm going alone now, and really confident that I'll meet people on my journey!
I have a question about the celebrations on July 25th. I'm not sure I'll make it to Santiago by then, are the celebrations on that day only? If I arrive on the 26 / 27 will I still find it difficult to find a place to stay if I do not book before I leave?
Looking forward to hearing some more good advice,
Stacey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
celebrations on July 25th. ...are the celebrations on that day only? If I arrive on the 26 / 27 will I still find it difficult to find a place to stay if I do not book before I leave?

Hi, Staceynicole. Celebrations take place during the whole month of July, culminating on the 25th. That's when the awesome fireworks + audio visual spectacle with the cathedral's facade as a "projection screen" + acrobats doing all kinds of things on the towers, take place. It's something to see at least once, and then die :!: I remember crying from the emotion I felt re: how beautiful it all was, embracing my friends I was with then, we knew we had experienced something unique and unforgettable. All kinds of cultural events take place during July: (pop/Brazilian/classical/African/Galitian/rock, & more) concerts, Galician music choirs with singers dressed in their impressive native costumes, plays, zarzuelas, etc. U see bands of gaiteros in traditional Galician garb, playing Galego music around the streets on the old section of town, as well as a great kids' traditional fashion show on the Praza de Quintana, right next to the Cathedral. There's usually a big concert on Santiago's night starting very late, with smaller ones, too. The atmosphere is very festive. The Caminos, as u can imagine, r full of pilgrims wanting to get to Compostela in time for the festivities. If u've never seen this, I suggest you experience it. It is awesome. After that day, the place goes dead, in comparison to the previous weeks. I mean, gradually dead, deader, deaderest... U should not have a prob finding accomodations on the 26th/27th (but I suggest making reservations just in case). Though I remember once being unable to find a train seat on the 26th, having to take a bus to Madrid in order to catch the plane to my "reality." Best, xm 8)

oh now I am really excited!! I can't believe it, what a coincidence that I chose June 23rd to set off! of course now that you've told me that, I'll have to ensure I get to Santiago for July 25th!
Would you recommend that I take a mat in that case?
I really appreciate your advice!

Would you recommend that I take a mat in that case?

Well...you may want to make reservations in advance for that day, hotels or albergues. That's for one. For another, and this is very important, to see the fireworks and all on the 25th, u want to be at the Praza de Obradoiro as early as poss, say 7-8 pm, if not sooner, to make sure u have a good place to experience the whole thing from. There r no seats, people just kind of sit on the ground reserving their "space." People watch the spectacle standing up. If I remember correctly the spectacle starts at 11:30 PM. It gets super duper crowded, not only at the Obradoiro, but all around. No traffic, place is sealed off. There r people watching the show from as far away as the park. You will have the time of ur life :!: Best, xm

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back