• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances May 2014

EllenZimmer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2014)
Hi my name is Ellen and my family plans to walk the camino may 2014. Started out with just me, then each of my daughters in turn and then my boyfriend all got into it! We have set up the bank accounts and started the research... Hoping to start "trying on" packs next week. We hope to do some major hiking with the equipment this summer in the mountains of pennsylvania, where we live. My biggest concern right now, well besides equipment and money, are my knees and hips... But i am working hard to strengthen these and certainly have plenty of time! I already workout and ski regularly but for some reason that does not seem to make these areas any stronger! Any tips from past Camino walkers with knee and hip issues would be greatly appreciated! I do wear braces already and plan to do so each day on the Camino.

Planning this is so exciting. Hard to stay focused on my day to day as all i want to do is read blogs and forums with all these thoughts and ideas. Time passes quickly though and i am certain May 2014 will be here before i know it!

See you all on the trail!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there, Ellen. Welcome to the Forum! Your excitement is palpable :). With regards to hip and knee problems, you might consider using a transportation service for carrying your backpack some or all of the Way. A search on Check if your question has been asked before will come up with a few options.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

:D
EllenZimmer said:
Hi my name is Ellen and my family plans to walk the camino may 2014. Started out with just me, then each of my daughters in turn and then my boyfriend all got into it! We have set up the bank accounts and started the research... Hoping to start "trying on" packs next week. We hope to do some major hiking with the equipment this summer in the mountains of pennsylvania, where we live. My biggest concern right now, well besides equipment and money, are my knees and hips... But i am working hard to strengthen these and certainly have plenty of time! I already workout and ski regularly but for some reason that does not seem to make these areas any stronger! Any tips from past Camino walkers with knee and hip issues would be greatly appreciated! I do wear braces already and plan to do so each day on the Camino.

Planning this is so exciting. Hard to stay focused on my day to day as all i want to do is read blogs and forums with all these thoughts and ideas. Time passes quickly though and i am certain May 2014 will be here before i know it!

Buen Camino!

I will be starting my first Camino in May too! Maybe I'll see y'all there!! :) I have been doing the research and getting things ready myself. Believe me any question that you have will be here...I have been looking at these forums enough to find it too be true. Have fun preparing because I know that I am! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the replies! It seems everyday i stumble onto a new tidbit... Today it was buff headwear... Very neat and seems to pay for itself with all the uses! Still trying to find a reasonably priced lightweight sleeping bag... Most just seem sooo expensive! This week we will do our first pass at the pack shopping in pittsburgh... Very excited to finally try some on!

Hi Ellen,

I am from PA also and plan on doing the Camino in May. I know what you mean by reading a lot. Just curious where you are flying into and if you have your flights and dates yet. I don't have either yet.

Hi!
I am leaving SJDP on May 27th, 2014! Can hardly wait! I leave Denver on May 24 to Paris, then via fast train to Bayonne. Spend the night and early train to St Jean that morning of the 26th. Get everything in order then out the door the 27th!

Buen Camino to all! Hope to see you on the Way!:D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I as well am originally from the Pittsburgh area and plan my Camino to start May 22. Seems like there will be quite a few of us Pennsyltucky folks on the Camino in May/June.

Buen Camino!
Hi Ellen:
I completed my first Camino this past year, leaving SJPDP on April 24 and arriving in Santiago June 2 -- so about the same time of year. I "trained" for the trek by just walking a lot, at least 2-3 miles every day and then one long 8-10 mile walk once a week. This was OK for endurance, but did not adequately prepare me for the ups and downs, especially the ups. If you do not have hills that go straight up where you live, I would recommend simulating the uphills and downhills by going to a nearby stadium and walking up and down the stairs several times and then going and walking 4 or 5 miles after that. This will build strength in your quads. Always wear your backpack with the weight you plan to have with you. I was 70 years old when I made the trip and came through it OK. Eighteen months before that I had back surgery and suffered a long recovery with residual nerve damage in my right leg. Still made it. I am sure you will do fine. Buen Camino!

Hi Ellen,
My wife and I will star our walk from SJPP, on or about 26 April. Walking sticks will be a big help for you if you are concerned about your ankles and hips. Also, my wife seems very happy with her pack. It is a Kelty Terra 55. Lots of space and very comfortable. Hope to see you on the walk. Bill & Joan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ellen,

I am from PA also and plan on doing the Camino in May. I know what you mean by reading a lot. Just curious where you are flying into and if you have your flights and dates yet. I don't have either yet.

To answer a previous post from paladycamino, we are flying on may 12th from erie, pa to Detroit to JFK to Madrid. I like that we do not have to go through customs until madrid. I think we will take a train or bus to SJPP... This part is still being determined. Now that we nailed down the flight i am ready to start working on more of the details. How are your plans coming? Where in PA are you from?

Hi Ellen:
I completed my first Camino this past year, leaving SJPDP on April 24 and arriving in Santiago June 2 -- so about the same time of year. I "trained" for the trek by just walking a lot, at least 2-3 miles every day and then one long 8-10 mile walk once a week. This was OK for endurance, but did not adequately prepare me for the ups and downs, especially the ups. If you do not have hills that go straight up where you live, I would recommend simulating the uphills and downhills by going to a nearby stadium and walking up and down the stairs several times and then going and walking 4 or 5 miles after that. This will build strength in your quads. Always wear your backpack with the weight you plan to have with you. I was 70 years old when I made the trip and came through it OK. Eighteen months before that I had back surgery and suffered a long recovery with residual nerve damage in my right leg. Still made it. I am sure you will do fine. Buen Camino!

Based on your response i think i need to step up my walking! Hard to have time to do all that walking while working etc.! I have been walking with my pack. I am using walking poles, which i love!

Sounds like we will be starting around the same time as we plan to get to SJPDP on 15th May and start our walk on 16th so we may see you - hope you are doing plenty if walking to build up your legs :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ellen, hope you have a nice and easy Camino,make sure you have nice fitting Boots with plenty of room for your toes to move around,as the feet swell
up when walking,doing the Camino is life changing,,,I myself hope to return in 2014 for a second time,having done the Camino from Lourdes(France)
V SJPDE to Santiago in 2010,as for training I didnt do that much,but starting where I did,got me in shape for the first biggest trek from SJPDP over the
Pyrenees which can be very arduous at times,walking to Roncesvalles is about 17 miles, is a long slog and injury is more likely to happen going down
into Roncesvalles,so you should take it easy,and you may already have this info ,but keep the weight of your Backpack down,you and your Family
doing the Camino will give you all the time of your lifes ,dont forget that you will get to Santiago,its 98% in your mind and the other 2% in leg power
I was 65 when I did my last Camino,and a few years before that I had a double By Pass Op,Good Camino

Ellen
I see you and your family plan to also start on the 16th May as are Des (my wife) and I so I look forward to meeting up with you all

Ellen
While we will be doing the whole walk we are planning to send our backpacks from SJPDP to Roncavelles by transport as this just allows us to ease into the walk rather than suffering the first day. You can also send your luggage through to Santiago from SJPDP so you have clothes at the end there are threads re this in the forum.
Larry

Thanks for all the great tips! Every night i try to read a blog or forum area... So many great postings.
I am a bit concerned about the early part of the walk. We plan to not go very far the first couple of days and hopefully that will be enough. Do you know what the cost is to send a pack to the next "stop".. Just incase we need it!

Now that us a good question as we plan to send our luggage now to roncesvalles and then use Spanish post and not French post as it's cheaper and not international - will research and get back to you

Hello,
the transport of bag from st JPP to Roncesvalles is possible and costs 8€.
The transport of another bag to Santiago is also possible and costs 70€.
This price includes the storage place in Santiago, which is not limited in the time.
When you arriva in St JPP, you have to contact me and i will come to you to pick up your bag and give you the document for the storage place.
Thanks you very much,
Caroline

EXPRESS BOURRICOT
transport bagages, pèlerins, séjours culturels

Caroline Aphessetche
Maison Jauberriko borda
64220 Ispoure
France

Tel: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76
Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

New!!! transport of bags from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago 70€, storage included
Morning shuttle to cross the Pyrénées

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all the great tips! Every night i try to read a blog or forum area... So many great postings.
I am a bit concerned about the early part of the walk. We plan to not go very far the first couple of days and hopefully that will be enough. Do you know what the cost is to send a pack to the next "stop".. Just incase we need it!
I suggest you consider stopping at Orisson the first night if you are walking the Route Napoleon to Roncesvalles, or at Valcarlos if you are walking the Valcarlos Route.
It's a big pull for a newbie all the way to Ronces from SJPdP in one day so do yourself a favor.

Buen Camino
Gerard

Yes, i made my reservations at the new orisson hostel kayola... We will ease into our walk and ease into the incline ;).

Thanks for information Larry about the bag transport. I am hopeful that i will not need it, working on taking just what i REALLY need and no more. My pack is small 28L so i will need to be selective and it will force me to keep a lighter load.

Thanks, ellen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To answer a previous post from paladycamino, we are flying on may 12th from erie, pa to Detroit to JFK to Madrid. I like that we do not have to go through customs until madrid. I think we will take a train or bus to SJPP... This part is still being determined. Now that we nailed down the flight i am ready to start working on more of the details. How are your plans coming? Where in PA are you from?
Pittsburgh. I am starting a little later in May (around memorial day.) My daughter is coming also so like you it will be a great family experience I thing. Good Luck.

Pittsburgh. I am starting a little later in May (around memorial day.) My daughter is coming also so like you it will be a great family experience I thing. Good Luck.

Hi paladycamino,

I think we are starting around the same time. I will be in SJPDP on May 26th, staying at the Esprit de CHERMIN, and Orrisson on the 27th.

Kris

Hi paladycamino,

I think we are starting around the same time. I will be in SJPDP on May 26th, staying at the Esprit de CHERMIN, and Orrisson on the 27th.

Kris

This is a small world! Me and my friend are starting on May 26th and staying at Orrisson as well! can't wait to you ladies there!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I just booked our flight from NYC to Dublin for Memorial Day May 26th. We were hoping to stay a couple of days for jet lag in Dublin and leave Dublin on Wednesday to start Thursday or Friday walking. clearskies are you flying from Dublin? If so to where?? Then train I am thinking?? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Ladies,

Sounds like we (my daughter and myself) are going to be a couple days behind you. Who knows maybe we will see each other along the way. Thanks for letting me know where you are staying because I have not booked our hotel for Wednesday night yet.

Susan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ellen, Leaving Central PA....Hbg/York....with My Dad, his girlfriend and a friend on May 12 for Paris via Dublin....starting in SJPP on the 14th or 15th. Here's to good weather, tough feet and strong backs! Have fun and maybe will cross paths along the way

Bonesaw,

Leaving Williamsport Pa on May 13th. Flying into Madrid. Plan to start walking from SJPDP 15 or 16. Staying in Spain until June 24.

Xin loi, used to go to the Little League WS every year since 2001 while I was in the service....providing WMD surveillance and Laboratory coverage for FBI security mission during the event due to the international nature of the participants. Great event and not a bad little town...minus the meth and ex convict problems that is. Hopefully, we will run into each other....i will have a blue Osprey pack with a "mike" patch and a "pennsylvania" tab patch above it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Xin loi, I use to live in Williamsport. Great town. Worked for the school district and phone company when I lived there.

Hello all, This is like a Penna thread? ha ha. I am Originally from the Pittsburgh area (Ford City) and will be starting from SJPDP a few days ahead of all you ladies (May22) so I plan to carry a snow shovel with me and shovel a snow path for you all to walk safely on your way to Roncevalles....

Buen Camino.
Ed

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all, This is like a Penna thread? ha ha. I am Originally from the Pittsburgh area (Ford City) and will be starting from SJPDP a few days ahead of all you ladies (May22) so I plan to carry a snow shovel with me and shovel a snow path for you all to walk safely on your way to Roncevalles....

Buen Camino.
Ed

Thanks Ed. Much appreciated!!!

Wow - just reading through all the threads that have been added relating to Pennsylvania. Hoping that the weather in Spain will play nicer than it has for us up in Erie this year! Someone mentioned Little League baseball in Williamsport - my Great Uncle Tuck (Carl Stotz) actually is the one that created it back in 1925 I believe... just an interesting little tidbit and really my only claim to fame (if you call it that!).

I have just recently packed my pack with all my equipment (minus what I was going to be wearing) , water and all, it weighed a heavy 22 lbs! I have been carrying 20lbs as I train, but planed to carry 13-15lbs on the Camino!!! Anyway, spent that training walk figuring out what to purge... I am really down to very little but I am weighing in at 17lbs now (minus a longsleeve tec shirt, bedbug sheet, tank top, and a few other small items). I do have about 4lbs of water... so really I am more like 13lbs of "stuff". Gosh, didn't think it would be that heavy! I had read many a pilgrim discussing taking this or that out... a few oz here and there... now I really understand about EVERY oz counts!

We are in the count down with only 25 days until we fly to Madrid... can hardly believe it is almost here!

Hope to see all you Pennsylvanians on the path!

Buen Camino! Ellen

To all of you from Pennsylvania- When I work with gas workers from Oklahoma or Texas, I always tell them the story of the Harrisburg Patriot Newspaper contest for a new state motto--the motto that came in 2nd and which I voted for was "Pennsylvania--we really are as dumb as we look" And I've packed a travel Iron!

Travel iron! We will look for you with the creases in your hiking pants!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.