• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid March 21-or 22 2018

Cliff175

Time of past OR future Camino
April / May Camino Frances 2013
Portuguese Camino May of 2014
St. jean to pomplona, - Santander to Oviedo, SAN Salvador to Leon , to Santiago in 2015
2017 March -- VDLP Seville to Santiago
I Plan on walking the Camino Madrid, March 20th or 21st. Open for company if anyone maybe interested.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Cliff
@AcrossTheWater3008 @OzAnnie and I will be right behind you, staying at Tres Cantos on 23rd. If you get lonely . . . . . slow down, and we'll catch up with you!
Jill

Will do ! You arrive on the 22nd, stepoff 23.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I Plan on walking the Camino Madrid, March 20th or 21st. Open for company if anyone maybe interested.
Hi, flying into Madrid on the 25th and starting out on the 27th, wish everyone a great camino

Cliff, Jsalt, G:

The Madrid is a great walk. Just keep in mind, there is a good chance there could be some significant snow in the mountains between Cercedilla and Segovia. I walked this route in 2014 and had a good foot of snow for about 8 km's upon reaching the top. Therefore, most markings are hidden. That said, the route is pretty intuitive. I walked through here around April 3rd.

Ultreya,
Joe

20160403_105248.jpg

It looks like i will be passing that way around the 14th or 15th March & have been a bit concerned about the Cercedilla to Segovia stage . I suppose it will be a case of making a decision on the day , i cannot find any mountain weather forecasts for that area . I did wonder whether to take spikes / lightweight crampons , although im not sure about carrying the extra weight . Cheers Tony

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I start from Madrid on 7th April. Hope there is not too much snow.

You can always take the train from Cercedilla to Segovia, if need be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cliff, Jsalt, G:

The Madrid is a great walk. Just keep in mind, there is a good chance there could be some significant snow in the mountains between Cercedilla and Segovia. I walked this route in 2014 and had a good foot of snow for about 8 km's upon reaching the top. Therefore, most markings are hidden. That said, the route is pretty intuitive. I walked through here around April 3rd.

Ultreya,
Joe

View attachment 39011
Thank You for the advice. Did the foot of snow prevent you from walking between Cercedilla to Segovia ?
I'll have to make a decision when I come to that point. Ask the advice of some local people. I'm thinking of heading west toward Zamora on VDLP at some point, to Astorga. I walked from Seville to Zamora last year, just thinking of finishing the VDLP. Also thinking maybe just as well to stay on Camino Madrid. I'l have time to decide. Thank You again, appreciate any advice and suggestions, Gracias,

Thank You for the advice. Did the foot of snow prevent you from walking between Cercedilla to Segovia ?
I'll have to make a decision when I come to that point. Ask the advice of some local people. I'm thinking of heading west toward Zamora on VDLP at some point, to Astorga. I walked from Seville to Zamora last year, just thinking of finishing the VDLP. Also thinking maybe just as well to stay on Camino Madrid. I'l have time to decide. Thank You again, appreciate any advice and suggestions, Gracias,

Cliff and additional Madrid walkers:

At the time, I did not know how long I would be in the snow. I just kept walking but at a much slower pace.
It was a slog but very doable. I just walked in my low cut shoes but put plastic bags in between my 2 pairs of socks. I do not remember how long it took but I was tired when I arrived in Segovia. I f you go through the Madrid thread, you will probably find my daily posts. If I can be of further assistance to anyone, feel free to send me a PM.

Ultreya,
Joe

Cliff and additional Madrid walkers:

At the time, I did not know how long I would be in the snow. I just kept walking but at a much slower pace.
It was a slog but very doable. I just walked in my low cut shoes but put plastic bags in between my 2 pairs of socks. I do not remember how long it took but I was tired when I arrived in Segovia. I f you go through the Madrid thread, you will probably find my daily posts. If I can be of further assistance to anyone, feel free to send me a PM.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe, I remember you posting a video of your slogging through that snow. What is it with you and snow? I also remember photos of your Salvador with 5' or more drifts.

You just never know on these routes what the weather will be. I walked from Cercedilla to Segovia once in February when I was in Madrid for work, and it was totally passable. Best idea is to check on local conditions ahead of time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Joe, I remember you posting a video of your slogging through that snow. What is it with you and snow? I also remember photos of your Salvador with 5' or more drifts.

You just never know on these routes what the weather will be. I walked from Cercedilla to Segovia once in February when I was in Madrid for work, and it was totally passable. Best idea is to check on local conditions ahead of time.

Snow is always a risk in the Spring walking through the mountains. It just added to the story of that years journey. My walk was passable just a bit more challenging in the snow.

Thank You, I don’t mind snow, as long as I can see the arrows,
I walked the San Salvador north to south, against the fletch so was difficult to see the arrows. Lost several times, very remote.
I carry an exposure blanket, just Incase I really get lost, Boy Scout motto be prepared. Thanks Again,

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.