• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - human traffic inquiry

bd250

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP 2004, Le Puy to SJPDP 2006, SJPDP 2009, Sevilla (Sanabrés) 2010, Lisbon 2011, Henaye/Irun 2012, Salamanca (Sanabrés) 2013, Sevilla (via Camino de Torres) 2014, Col St. Bernard-Rome 2015, Le Puy (via Norte & Primitivo) 2016
Quick summation: How ‘busy’ does the Portugués become during the months of July and August?

Hi all,
Long time walker, (almost) first time writer.

I’m considering the Camino Portugués for this summer (July/August). I received the Brierley guide today (appears to be the only English language option available), and I’ve just read that, “Summer is busy and hot and hostels often full.”

This surprises me. Walking the Via de la Plata last year, I met a German bloke who’d walked the Portugués during the previous year. He reckoned that the Plata (which was wonderfully quiet) was equally or perhaps even more greatly populated than the Portugués, which he described as being very peaceful (human-traffic-wise), even during the summer months.

If anybody with recent high-summer experience of walking the Portugués can give a knowledgable opinion as to its 'population', I’d very much appreciate it.

Cheers folks... BD

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: Camino Portugues - human traffic enquiry

Hi BD. We walked the Camino Portuguese in Sept/Oct starting in Lisboa. It was extremely hot. Temperatures were about 37 - 40 deg C. for the first week (starting on the 5th Sept).
The albergues were not full, but in some places there are no albergues.
Try the CSJ version of the Camino Portuguese as well as John Brierley. Brierley's guide is good after Porto but was not very useful before that.
Bom Caminho
Sharon

Cheers Sharon... I appreciate the reply... your comments regarding the pre-Porto sections of the Brierley guide are interesting. Temperature-wise, it's not really a prob... not to say that 40C is comfortable, but the Plata was quite similar, and I survived :D .

My inquiry remains that of footfall during the months of July and August - how quiet/busy I can expect the track and albergues to be.

Any further comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Sharon... Hope you enjoyed your walk

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, bd250,

I think it's safe to say that before Porto you are unlikely to see anyone else. I walked from Lisbon to Porto in different stages as I was working on the CSJ guide from Lisbon to Porto, and I never saw anyone. There is now one albergue, in the small town of Sernadelo, which is right outside Mealhada. I posted info on it earlier, but in case you haven't seen it, here is the link:
el-camino-portugues/topic10706.html

That link also includes the SOS peregrino phone that the Lisbon Friends of the Camino group operates on a 24/7 basis in a variety of languages.

Once you hit Porto you will see pilgrims, but I don't think the traffic will be too heavy till you get to the border. From Tui to Santiago, I imagine it will be quite busy. If you do walk from Lisbon, I'd appreciate any updated information for the online guide.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I also walked the Vdlp, it was last May, and things were really quiet as well. From this year's postings and blogs, though, it seems to be extremely crowded, with full albergues in many places.

To Laurie,

Many thanks for your reply. Very helpful and informative.

Thanks for taking the time,
BD

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back