• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Winter Camino Portugues Central

Simperegrina

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023-24, Portugues Central, Invierno 2024
Set out from Porto yday morning, having stayed a couple of nights in Gallery Hostel in Cedofeita (highly recommended).

The walk out of Porto is what it is - leaving any major city tends to mean kms of traffic heavy roads. But I rather enjoyed passing through the various neighbourhoods, and noticing the difference as you reach the outskirts, leave Porto behind you, and start walking the back lanes.

First Camino since breaking my wrist in Rabanal del Camino last Oct. Good to be back on the Camino trail again.

The rain was a major factor yesterday - maybe 6 bouts of intensive, heavy showers, some quite lengthy. Poncho on and off, or rain jacket? Fleece on or off? Oh the conundrums!

I loved the detour to the right at the Giao-Joudina junction. Vairao is delightful - I almost wished I’d decided to stay at the albergue but I’d already told Laura / Carlos I’d be staying at Casa da Laura in Vilarinho. There was an incident where I almost bowled into the tiny chapel but at the last second realised there was an occupied, open casket, and 3 people keeping vigil, looking at horrified expressions as I appeared at the glass door! Eeek.

So here I am at Casa da Laura, with the accommodation to myself. Which brings its own benefits - I can spread out, empty my pack etc. I love the tea/coffee/biccies/milk/beer/wine help -yourself hospitality here. Loved the plug in heater in my dorm room - much appreciated

No other Pilgrims spotted en route on day 1.

Gonna be a quiet one?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Simperegrina — I think I was in Rabanal when you broke your wrist. Glad to see you are back. :) Nelle

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you sleeping in the kitchen at Laura’s? I stayed in the other albergues but my friend showed me a picture of her accomodation at Laura’s and the bed was in the kitchen. Which I thought was hilarious.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you sleeping in the kitchen at Laura’s? I stayed in the other albergues but my friend showed me a picture of her accomodation at Laura’s and the bed was in the kitchen. Which I thought was hilarious.

Er, no. Perhaps your friend was there at the height of the season when all the regular beds were taken, and the owners kindly put her up as an overflow?

I was in a shared room of 6 bunk beds. The room shared facilities - bathroom, plus little hallway in between this room and a double private room, that had tea, coffee, microwave, fridge etc.

Day 2 saw me set off under some blue sky, which was very welcome. I was staying on the track as it heads out of the town, and it wasn’t much walking along the road (note: on pavement) before the track turns off and starts winding down between trees. A river to the right was spotted, and then my first view of the lovely 8-arch Romanesque Punte de Ave. Crossing this the path then climbs up to rejoin the N306. Very shortly after, the detour appears on the left, and what followed was a meandering but bucolic ramble through countryside and hamlets, punctuated by the occasional barky dog behind a wall, outraged at my temerity at passing their boundary. Always a delight to see something like the bowl of fruit left out on a pilgrims bench.

Next up was the village of Sao Mamede, where I stopped for coffee and a muffin at its little bar-store. Leaving cobbles behind, it’s a tarmac road till the gravel and stone path that leads you to your first view of Sao Miguel de Arcos and it’s church tower. It’s here where you start to see signs of the Coastal and Central routes meeting.
And my first encounter with another pilgrim. Exciting!

Then onto Rates. I missed the instructions for the original route so followed the road (the newer route). Perhaps less interesting? After Rates, I wondered whether I’d see more pilgrims joining from the coast, but given this was late morning, probably too early for anyone crossing over from the coast to make Rates.

The stretch from Rates to Pedra Furada doesn’t get much in the way of a description eg Wise Pilgrim, but it’s 6-7km of the path crossing through farmland, very little in the way of cobbles or asphalt, and some modest ups and downs. Note that’s worth making sure you’re ok on the water front. I was running low before Pedra Furada, and nipped away from the route as it turns to the right, to find a top up in a village cafe bar.

Then to Pedra Furada and the main road. I stopped to take a look at the donativo, Albergue O Palhuco, opened in 2022. The hospi Marianne kindly gave m a quick tour and it’s delightful. I’d already made plans in Barcelos, but I’d recommend it to anyone looking to stop here. A reviving stop at a restaurant up the road run by the charming Antonio, and then on for the final push which as it usually the way at the end of a long day, seemed to take forever. I took the variants on offer to get off the road.

Weatherise, it changed every time you looked at it - sun-rain-wind-stillish-wet-dry.

A lovely day’s walking.

Here’s a pic from the bridge into Barcelos.

IMG_8388_jpg.jpeg

I remember the walk into Rates as being a very narrow, winding road with no shoulder and literally no place to walk - So they have changed the route? We had to tie orange bandanas to the top of our poles to be seen and keep from being hit by fast-moving cars.

Attachments

• 1009_1504 Road to Rates.JPG
    1009_1504 Road to Rates.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 2 saw me set off under some blue sky, which was very welcome. I was staying on the track as it heads out of the town, and it wasn’t much walking along the road (note: on pavement) before the track turns off and starts winding down between trees. A river to the right was spotted, and then my first view of the lovely 8-arch Romanesque Punte de Ave. Crossing this the path then climbs up to rejoin the N306. Very shortly after, the detour appears on the left, and what followed was a meandering but bucolic ramble through countryside and hamlets, punctuated by the occasional barky dog behind a wall, outraged at my temerity at passing their boundary. Always a delight to see something like the bowl of fruit left out on a pilgrims bench.

Next up was the village of Sao Mamede, where I stopped for coffee and a muffin at its little bar-store. Leaving cobbles behind, it’s a tarmac road till the gravel and stone path that leads you to your first view of Sao Miguel de Arcos and it’s church tower. It’s here where you start to see signs of the Coastal and Central routes meeting.

Then onto Rates. I missed the instructions for the original route so followed the road (the newer route). Perhaps less interesting? After Rates, I wondered whether I’d see more pilgrims joining from the coast, but given this was late morning, probably too early for anyone crossing over from the coast to make Rates.

The stretch from Rates to Pedra Furada doesn’t get much in the way of a description eg Wise Pilgrim, but it’s 6-7km of the path crossing through farmland, very little in the way of cobbles or asphalt, and some modest ups and downs. Note that’s worth making sure you’re ok on the water front. I was running low before Pedra Furada, and nipped away from the route as it turns to the right, to find a top up in a village cafe bar.

Then to Pedra Furada and the main road. I stopped to take a look at the donativo, Albergue O Palhuco, opened in 2022. The hospi Marianne kindly gave m a quick tour and it’s delightful. I’d already made plans in Barcelos, but I’d recommend it to anyone looking to stop here. A reviving stop at a restaurant up the road run by the charming Antonio, and then on for the final push which as it usually the way at the end of a long day, seemed to take forever. I took the variants on offer to get off the road.

Weatherise, it changed every time you looked at it - sun-rain-wind-stillish-wet-dry.

A lovely day’s walking.

View attachment 164922

A lovely day’s walking.

View attachment 164922
Lovely descriptions ! Thank you so much for taking us along with you !

Set out from Porto yday morning, having stayed a couple of nights in Gallery Hostel in Cedofeita (highly recommended).

The walk out of Porto is what it is - leaving any major city tends to mean kms of traffic heavy roads. But I rather enjoyed passing through the various neighbourhoods, and noticing the difference as you reach the outskirts, leave Porto behind you, and start walking the back lanes.

First Camino since breaking my wrist in Rabanal del Camino last Oct. Good to be back on the Camino trail again.

The rain was a major factor yesterday - maybe 6 bouts of intensive, heavy showers, some quite lengthy. Poncho on and off, or rain jacket? Fleece on or off? Oh the conundrums!

I loved the detour to the right at the Giao-Joudina junction. Vairao is delightful - I almost wished I’d decided to stay at the albergue but I’d already told Laura / Carlos I’d be staying at Casa da Laura in Vilarinho. There was an incident where I almost bowled into the tiny chapel but at the last second realised there was an occupied, open casket, and 3 people keeping vigil, looking at horrified expressions as I appeared at the glass door! Eeek.

So here I am at Casa da Laura, with the accommodation to myself. Which brings its own benefits - I can spread out, empty my pack etc. I love the tea/coffee/biccies/milk/beer/wine help -yourself hospitality here. Loved the plug in heater in my dorm room - much appreciated

No other Pilgrims spotted en route on day 1.

Gonna be a quiet one?
I'm a few days behind you. Leaving on Wednesday from Porto along the Coastal route. Hoping to stay in Albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back