• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Visigodo

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
Has anyone heard of or know anything about this camino, could it be linked into the via de la plata?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It sounds like a great detour from the Via de la Plata. I'd love to see the black virgin of Gualalupe, and all the Zurbaráns and Giordanos in the monastery there - once the third most important pilgrimage site in Spain, and the mother house of the Escorial.

The amazing visigothic chapel of Santa Lucía del Tampal is under an hour from Alcuéscar on the VdlP. It's a lovely, mysterious, serene place - a very simple three naved building in a little clearing in the oak woods of the dehesa. It was built on the site of a celtiberian temple to Ataegina, their version of Persephone, the goddess of spring and rebirth. She was apparently a popular goddess in Extremadura, and often associated with healing waters - the Roman reservoir that served Mérida is called Prosephina in her honour, and the Trampal stream has warm springs on it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, @alansykes that's good information, although I have to admit it might be a foreign language as far as I can understand it!

I visited Guadalupe in 2001 and stayed in the parador for a couple of nights (after a visit to Mérida) and absolutely loved the area. I remember seeing the black virgin.

I only became aware of this camino after buying a spanish lottery ticket that promoted the 'Camino Visigodo'. I may well walk the via de la plata next year , starting with the camino Mozarabe (actually starting from my front door, as I live only 60 km from Málaga) and this looks like an interesting diversion, although I guess I will break over two years.

Many thanks to you and Albertinho for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back