• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone join us on July 8, 2016 departure from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port?

Amadis

Time of past OR future Camino
From July 8 onward. Pa'lante!
My wife and I plan to start walking the CAMINO from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port. It's a tremendous undertaking this Camino no matter how you slice it. I think that having some support from others would be encouraging for us and vice versa. One thing that scareds the living daylights out of me is how on Earth I will carry some 15 kgs. on my poor back up and down sideways and everywhich way. (((Wish me luck!))) In any event, I'd love to hear from other enthusiastic 'caminantes' who plan to walk this July even if you are not walking the exact dates I am. You can reach me for comments, advice, giving or receiving or whatever at regalsolomon@gmail.com

Another comment I have is how on Earth all these people are spending 30E per day. There are days when we have no choice but to spend 50E on a hotel room, for example, upon reaching PAMPLONA, or else we miss out on San Fermin. In some villages there are no hostales and if there are, the reviews are crap. And no... my mother's training did not include putting up with bedbugs and someone's smelly feet. Sometimes I wish she had trained me like that but - hey - here I am the way I am.

Having said this, I am trying to keep costs as far down as possible. I would love some good tips on how to pack food and that's another headache because some food needs refrigeration. Furthermore, not every town has a market. (((Another headache!))) Maybe I am worrying too much. Anyways...I still have months before me. I want to hear any/all comments from all of you from all over the world. Once again, my name is ARAMIS at regalsolomon@gmail.com Un servidor y caminante.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there, and welcome.

Well, first, you won't be walking alone in July.
There will be hundreds of pilgrims to walk with.

2nd, unless you weigh 300 pounds, you won't be carrying 30 kg.
Best to keep your pack to around 10% of your body weight.

3d. Money. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it.
I manage on 20 euros per day but if you want to book private lodgings all the way, yes, it will be much more.
I suggest you do a search on the forum to find a list of albergues.

Camino food doesn't need refrigeration.
Lots of helpful hints here on my blog:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html

You might browse the blog for other tips as well.

I'd like to be a fly on your wall - sounds like you're going to have a real experience!
Buen Camino, Aramis!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Annie...what a beautiful lady you are. And no...I am not 300 lbs. ha ha I am 220 and I plan to shed 20 before the Camino. I plan to carry around 8 kilos (Gosh! Sorry...I can't think in pounds anymore) ...about 18 lbs. Do you think I can make it. My wife has back problems that set on if she carries too much so we have agreed she will carry 8 lbs. Do you think we can fit everything into 26 lbs?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was about the same weight as you when we walked in 2013. I carried about 20 lbs (maybe more when I carried some of my wife's "necessities" - which we posted forward to Ivar in Santiago) You will want to carry water and some snacks. You will not need to carry a lot of food. The only time we carried extra food was when we planned on stopping for a picnic lunch one day. Some food the first day over the Pyrenees would not be a bad idea. We walked in August-September and it was pretty hot then. I would stop for a drink and always get ice. Put the ice in my water bottle when I was done with the drink. Kept it colder for a little while longer.

Buen Camino !!!

Carry what you need and forget the weight. Take note, I said need. The weight of my empty backpack is only 1.13 kg. Many can weigh twice that much, so, choose your gear and your 'stuff' wisely. Don't over pack. Look @ some packing lists on this site and choose carefully. As far as walking alone in July!!!! Ain't gonna happen. You will be walking with hundreds of others JUST as nervous as you. So, be open, be patient, go with the flow and you will do fine. Remember, there is no finish line on the Camino, so, let the wind at your back guide you.
Welcome, and Buen Camino.

Just a thiught - I never got bedbugs in cheap hostels, but I did have a bedbug-infested night in a relatively expensive hotel!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ps. I lost 20 pounds when I walked the CDS in 2012(unfortunately, I walked from SJPP to SDC in 15 days) It's a good idea to lose weight (if you are over weight) prior to the CDS. However, do not sacrifice getting in shape for weight lose. Just get in walking shape, eat right, and let it be.

My wife and I are walking in March and April. We have been practicing packing and repacking. We are traveling through the part of the year when weather is unpredictable. Rain, snow, ice yet we all of our clothing weight is down to about 12lbs minus water and snacks. Water an additional 2lbs and travel snacks.
We have been training fully packed for 2 months in wet miserable weather (Washington State) praying when we arrive in Europe the weather will be nicer. You will do fine. We figured the other day if we were traveling in warm weather we could shed 2 more lbs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I are walking in March and April. We have been practicing packing and repacking. We are traveling through the part of the year when weather is unpredictable. Rain, snow, ice yet we all of our clothing weight is down to about 12lbs minus water and snacks. Water an additional 2lbs and travel snacks.
We have been training fully packed for 2 months in wet miserable weather (Washington State) praying when we arrive in Europe the weather will be nicer. You will do fine. We figured the other day if we were traveling in warm weather we could shed 2 more lbs.

The surest way to guarantee warm dry weather is to carry down jackets and full rain gear....

@Amadis It is not a wilderness hike. It is Europe in summer. It is basically a hike from village to village, from café to café. There are shops everywhere. Supermarkets, groceries, bakeries, patisseries, restaurants even.

If you want to keep down the $ do not discount staying in albergues. You may be surprised. And if you are travelling as a couple you will also find that a private room is very affordable - and will probably not be advertised on booking.com or other commercial sites. Do not be misled by Pamplona at San Fermin (personally I would avoid it like the plague, but that is a personal thing) when prices reach ridiculous heights. Try searching this forum with the tag "accommodation" to get ideas.

In July on the CF it can be hot. You will need very little and should be able to keep your packs down to under 8 kilos each, including pack weight, water and snacks.

My go-to packing list for July is as follows:
Walking skirt or pants - ONE or the other, not both.
Walking shirt (light but long sleeved, for sun protection)
Hat
Umbrella (sunshade and rain)
2 pairs knickers and bra
A skirt or pants and top for evening and when hiking clothes are being washed. On some caminos I have swapped this for a lightweight dress.
1 fine merino wool cardigan, black Icebreaker long johns (footless tights).
Altus poncho.
Walking sandals (I walk in sandals).
1 pair fluffy striped socks from the $2 shop - to put on at night if my feet get wet and cold during the day. Weight - nothing.
Crocs for the shower and to give my feet a change from the hiking sandals.
Nightdress or silk knickers and top (I don't like wearing clothes to sleep)
Swimmers.
Lightweight cotton sarong - to sleep on, to use as a towel, to use as a modesty skirt over swimmers.
Minimal spongebag - soap (multipurpose - hair, body, clothes), hair conditioner in a tube, toothbrush, tiny toothpaste, anti-chafe cream (doubles as anti-perspirant deodorant)
Moisturising sunscreen (small)
First aid kit - tweezers, scissors, needle, antiseptic rubs, tape, pyrethrum spray.
1 lightweight hiking quilt (instead of a sleeping bag)
2 x 600ml water bottles.

If I was wearing shoes I would also need several pairs of socks.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back