• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DELETE

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello to everyone! So I'm planning to do my first camino this year, at end of the april or start of the may. And as many other first timers I find it very difficult to find right route. I'm between choosing camino del norte and camino french. My latest idea will be that I start camino del norte and walk till Oviedo and then down to Leon and contiune with french way. But as I read people usually walk opposite way. Leon to Oviedo and contiune with primitivo.

My main question with this thread will be that how many of you have walked North way and connecting this with French way or opposite. I would really like the coastal view, that's why it seems smart to start with norte. But how much I'm going to miss from French way. Like what important cities and places that first timer should see. It would be nice to go over pyrenees to Roncesvalle visit Burgos, wine fountain etc. So what are the main places in french way till Leon I gonna miss if I choose North way.

Kreidy:

To answer your question about what you might miss, I would have to know more about what you are interested in.

That said, the major generic differences between the Frances and Norte, imo, are:

The Frances is more crowded and social.

The Frances is inland and the Norte is coastal.

Accommodations on the Frances are more Frequent than the Norte and the Norte has more touristy/holiday cities.

Food on the Frances is more meat and the Norte more fish.

Day in and out the Norte is a bit more challenging than the Frances.

These are just a few thoughts that come immediately to my mind.

I believe there is social value in walking either Camino in it's entirety and would therefore pick one. That said, you will meet great people on both routes.

Whichever choice you make, I am sure it will work for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
HI, Kreidy, welcome to the forum.

Joe's hit on all the high points, but I would add a caution to the idea about walking "backwards" on the Salvador from Oviedo to León. The waymarking is placed only in the León to Oviedo direction, and it might cause a bit of confusion for you going in the other direction. Also, since there aren't a lot of pilgrims on this route anyway, you're unlikely to be able to get help from people going from León to Oviedo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I read "walking the Salvador backwards" I heard myself say "no, no, no". This is a route I want to do and will do, but after having walked enough Camino km I know my limits and know I am not comfortable walking it alone, let alone against the waywarkers.

Second thought is that. Camino is so not about the tourist attractions that may be foind along its way. Now, if a long distance walk is what you are interested in, then yes, views and sites are lart of it, but a pilgrimage?

If site siteseeing is important to you, well, you will miss out on what is on the other route nomatter what. The Norte takes you through San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander, Santillana, Guernika. The food is 100 times better than what you will find on the Frances. And you will get the coast.

Walk the Frances and you walk through many old towns whose history is tied to the Camino, lots of religious architecture also tied to the Camino. You walk through San Sebastian, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga.

No matter what, you will miss out on something. Which is why so many go back year after year Nd discover a new route.

The question to ask yourself is what do you want from this walk? The Frances will give you a chance for many more encounters, it is more socialble, you will have people walking in frint and behind you regularly, and lots of known faces at the bars when you stop for a rest during the day. Walk the Norte and enjoy walking alone, while meeting uo with others in the albergues in the evening and enjoy the coast, Basque food, and just as wonderful cities and towns to walk through.

If you go from the Norte to Leon you will miss most of the meseta. Some people love that part and others hate it. You have to read about it and decide if the meseta is for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After walking from Irun to Oviedo I took a bus to Leon and continued on the Frances to Santiago. I do love the Frances and have walked it 5 times. Great for a first Camino but now so busy its best to walk off season. IMO
Heather

Hello to everyone! So I'm planning to do my first camino this year, at end of the april or start of the may. And as many other first timers I find it very difficult to find right route. I'm between choosing camino del norte and camino french. My latest idea will be that I start camino del norte and walk till Oviedo and then down to Leon and contiune with french way. But as I read people usually walk opposite way. Leon to Oviedo and contiune with primitivo.

My main question with this thread will be that how many of you have walked North way and connecting this with French way or opposite. I would really like the coastal view, that's why it seems smart to start with norte. But how much I'm going to miss from French way. Like what important cities and places that first timer should see. It would be nice to go over pyrenees to Roncesvalle visit Burgos, wine fountain etc. So what are the main places in french way till Leon I gonna miss if I choose North way.

When I read "walking the Salvador backwards" I heard myself say "no, no, no". This is a route I want to do and will do, but after having walked enough Camino km I know my limits and know I am not comfortable walking it alone, let alone against the waywarkers.

Second thought is that. Camino is so not about the tourist attractions that may be foind along its way. Now, if a long distance walk is what you are interested in, then yes, views and sites are lart of it, but a pilgrimage?

If site siteseeing is important to you, well, you will miss out on what is on the other route nomatter what. The Norte takes you through San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander, Santillana, Guernika. The food is 100 times better than what you will find on the Frances. And you will get the coast.

Walk the Frances and you walk through many old towns whose history is tied to the Camino, lots of religious architecture also tied to the Camino. You walk through San Sebastian, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga.

No matter what, you will miss out on something. Which is why so many go back year after year Nd discover a new route.

The question to ask yourself is what do you want from this walk? The Frances will give you a chance for many more encounters, it is more socialble, you will have people walking in frint and behind you regularly, and lots of known faces at the bars when you stop for a rest during the day. Walk the Norte and enjoy walking alone, while meeting uo with others in the albergues in the evening and enjoy the coast, Basque food, and just as wonderful cities and towns to walk through.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
Write down 5 or 6 Camino's on pieces of paper , roll them up and place in a jar , pick out one and walk it , every Camino is great!
Best of luck
tom

High Keide
Cycled the French route 2 yrs ago and it was amazing and recommend first timers to do this class route.
Am returning this Ye to the Norte route and am equally as excited but do think the French rote will take some beating so go for the former kidder you won't be dsointed. Buen Comino

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back