• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cardiologist says 'ok to go' to Camino

walkabout

continued ...From Ottawa - Looking for walking buddy.

I have been walking about 14 kilometres each day for last week in preparation.

Last July I had some (mild) heart issues while walking some hills at the edge of the Rockies. Problems with aeortic valve and eventual necessity to have valve replacement (says the cardiologist). Another cardiaologist says okay to go to camino.

What advice can experienced 'friends of the camino' provide. It is my dream to return.

In 2004, I walked the camino and I seem to have left 'my heart' somewhere in the beautiful experience. Now I sense a strong calling to return. This cheerful heart related problem and the one above are serious concerns. Please advise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may want to investigate the financial costs of your health situation turning sour while you are on the Camino; I have heard tales of $40,000 med-evac fees, the alternative being heart surgery in Spain. Would a travel insurer issue you coverage in your current condition? Note that if you withhold information about your condition, and apply for insurance, your coverage may suddenly evaporate.

I'm not a medico -- but perhaps there is more pondering for you yet to do here.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd definitely take it easy on the ascents, especially the tough ones. You might want to plan your camino so that you hit the major ascents early in the morning instead of in the afternoon.

Kelly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm 58 with no serious health concerns and I walked my first Camino this past April and May. Early on, the first 8 days or so, I was walking with a Friend who is a few years older than me and we were given some advice from another pilgrim walking on the Veseley route in France. He told us to ignore other pilgrims who were rapidly walking up the steep slopes. Let them pass you and when you come to a climb just take it slowly one step at a time, I also found it helpful to concentrate on my feet and not look up at the hill still to be climbed. I followed this advice for the rest of my Camino it took me a little longer to climb the hills but it was much less stressful and I found that I didn't need to stop for rests as often.

My other classic mistake was far too much weight in my backpack it was weighed for me in Saint Jean Pied de Port and it came in at 15kg at the end of the Camino it weighed 10kg at the airport in Santiago. For my body weight the ideal pack would have been 9kg. Make sure your Cardiologist understands how much weight you will be carrying and I would think it might be a good idea for you to get your pack weight down below your ideal weight.

Ultreia !!

I weigh 195 pounds and I would not want to pack more than 15 pounds (backpack included) due to the concerning nature of my heart. On a second time back I know better what not to bring. It is the climbing that could potentially cause problems. Despite the probability that I may not be going this season I continue nonetheless to do preparation training (as in ..lengthy walks).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.