• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completo!

vinotinto

Hey all:

My name's Erik, and I'm from the west coast of the USA. I began my Camino on 14 July 2007 from St. Jean Pied-de Port. I finally walked into Santiago on 24 August 2007.

The Camino was one of the best things I've ever done or been a part of. It was certainly a struggle, but well worth it. The countryside was beautiful, and I met many cool folks.

Now I'm back at work, and sometimes it seems like I never left. In the US the Camino is almost unheard-of (indeed, I only met 4 fellow Americans on the Way, and two were brothers). So, it's hard to find another peregrino to commisserate with.

Anyway, if anyone planning to do the Camino in the near future has specific questions, I'd be glad to try and answer them. I had to learn some things the hard way, so perhaps I can spare you some pain :)

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How wonderful, Congratulations! I plan to walk the Camino Frances starting in SJPDP in August 2008. I am very interested to know whether you found it very hot and also July August is supposed to be the busiest time. Did you have problems geting a bed? I have been walking lots in preparation 12 - 14K's a day but not carrying a pack! I believe I will need to do my walks with a pack as time draws nearer. I'd be interested to hear any problems you encountered or anything you think would be useful to tell a novice.
Ginny

Ginny said:
I am very interested to know whether you found it very hot and also July August is supposed to be the busiest time.

Apparently the summer of 2007 wasn't as hot as normal. But it was still quite warm, especially on the meseta (up in the 90s F; over 30C). However, it rained as well - especially in Galicia. Also, July-August is supposed to be the busiest time, based on my research. The Way gets especially busy during the last 100K, since many touristy types start at that point in order to get the compostela. I don't mind heat, and meeting people was one of the best parts of the Camino for me, so I'm glad I went during July-August.

Ginny said:
Did you have problems geting a bed?

No, I always got a bed for the night. However, I usually stopped walking between 12 and 3 PM (I started walking each day between 6 and 7:30 AM). The longer you wait, the tougher it is to get a spot for the night, especially in the smaller towns. However, the people running the albergues will help a tired pilgrim find a place to sleep - although it may be on the floor or in a tent. In the bigger towns and cities you'll also find hotels, pensions, and so forth if the albergues are truly full. As I alluded to above, there will be more competition for the albergues during the last 100K.

Ginny said:
I have been walking lots in preparation 12 - 14K's a day but not carrying a pack!

That's more training than I did! :) I was in pretty good shape from my regular exercise, but consistently walking before I left would've been helpful. At least a couple of months before you leave for the Camino, I'd recommend walking with your pack and the boots you're planning to wear. That way you can make adjustments and break in your equipment (especially the boots). At the beginning of my Camino, I discovered that I brought too much with me, and my boots were too heavy. That caused me a lot of pain, so for a couple of weeks I walked slowly and for short distances while getting rid of stuff. I also got a pair of lighter boots in Logrono at the Planeta Agua outdoor store, and stayed an extra day at a hotel to recover and break them in.

Ginny said:
I'd be interested to hear any problems you encountered or anything you think would be useful to tell a novice.

Check out the other forums on this site - very informative. Here are a couple of tips, though:

1. Pack light - you shouldn't be carrying much more than 10K. You can always buy items along the Way if you really need to.
2. Become a student of your body - drink lots of water, use sunscreen, eat well, and take care of your feet by wearing good boots, the right socks, and practicing blister prevention. Indeed, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure on the Camino.
3. Be flexible & don't rush on the Way - taking rest days is OK.
4. Learn some Spanish (numbers, asking directions, travel-related vocabulary, polite terms, etc.).
5. The Camino is cash-driven (most of the albergues are cash-only), so bring a couple of debit/credit cards that will allow you to withdraw money from cash machines.
6. Get a good guidebook, like John Brierley's book. In fact, find books by other pilgrims and read them before you go.
7. Be open to meeting new people from all over the world.
8. Go through the threads on this board - I wish I'd found it before I did the Camino, instead of after.

I kind of envy you, because the Camino is a great adventure and you are just beginning it. I hope it will be everything you want it to be - and more. Buen Camino! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great posts, Vinotinto and Ginny! I will start the Camino in June 08 and every tiny bit of information is important to me. There's something I'd like to know from you, Vinotinto, did you take a silk sleeping bag with you? Did you use the pillow provided by the albergues? If so, did you take a pillowcase or something to protect your face? I am sorry to appear so ignorant about this but I hope you guys will say that everybody asks similar questions... :lol: :lol: Thanks a lot, Sulachado.

Sumachado said:
Vinotinto, did you take a silk sleeping bag with you? Did you use the pillow provided by the albergues? If so, did you take a pillowcase or something to protect your face?

I took a silk sleep sack and a light synthetic travel sleeping bag. I ended up getting rid of the silk sleep sack (left it at an albergue) because the bag was better. Best of all, the bag unzipped into a quilt, which is how I tended to use it (I don't like being confined in a bag - I enjoy having my lower legs exposed in order to cool down).

I didn't take a pillowcase - I mostly used the albergue pillows. If I felt like they were scuzzy (or if no pillow was present), then I used my fleece vest for a pillow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back