• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Correct SIM card for France & Spain

Tony Bobcat

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Can someone tell me which SIM card to buy that works in SJPD and Spain, I had an Orange Sim card a few months ago and it only started working once I got to Pamplona. I would like to make sure for next year to have a card that works in both countries.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Any SIM supplied by the French or Spanish mobile companies will work in both countries but it is important to be sure that you have international roaming enabled on your phone and account to do so. Otherwise it will only work while in range of the parent network. Recent changes in charges for international roaming within the EU mean that you should pay the normal rates set by the company supplying the SIM in either country with no additional costs for roaming.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just check when roaming as they may no longer charge high rates but some have caps/limits.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We will be walking the Camino Primitivo/Verde/Norte in May. I would like to buy a data/phone sim in Australia before I leave, so as to have everything organised before I leave Sydney. I will only need it for about a month, and it would need to cover UK, France and Spain. So many offers on the net. Which to choose?

Thanks Bradypus for your help, I will work out weather to top up my old SIM card or buy a different card.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
All comes down to how you'll be using it as to what you need really.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just check when roaming as they may no longer charge high rates but some have caps/limits.
Thanks for your help Tuesday Wildchild, I found it so strange when I crossed into SJPD and my phone was not working. In Australia you can travel thousands of km and you still have coverage

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum