• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

December, 10-12 days

Elizabeth Chois

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2018
I am looking to do 10-12 days on the Camino this December. This will be my first time, and I have read many posts about what to pack and wear, but my question is where to start and end? Do I do the Leon to Santiago? Do I start closer because it's winter and I may go more slowly? Do I do an earlier segment and not end in Santiago de Compostela? Thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If this is your first Camino, I would advocate in the direction of starting at the "beginning" (yes, I know that's open to discussion). However, since crossing the Pyrenees by any route in December is not really advisable, that makes Pamplona worthy of consideration.

Is it important for you to get to Santiago, or do you just want to walk?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To walk from Leon to Santiago in 10 days would mean walking on average more than 30km per day. Many people would find that too much. Do you already have experience of walking days that long? There will probably be few other pilgrims around at that time and there will be less need to stop early in the day because of the "bed race". However, day length will be relatively short: in mid-December sunrise will be close to 9am and sunset before 6pm. Are you sure that you will be able to walk the daily stages that you have in mind in such short days? Something to be considered with winter caminos.

Is it important for you to get to Santiago, or do you just want to walk?
I just want to walk. I am open to opinions on what would be better. I assumed that arriving in Santiago would be advised, but if there is a better stretch, I would happily do that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
where to start and end? Do I do the Leon to Santiago?
Leon to Santiago normally takes about 14 days. Ponferrada to Santiago is nine to ten days. The Camino will be very quiet in December, so I would suggest the busiest part, which will be the last part. The scenery from Ponferrada is great all the way to Santiago. If you want to add a day, take a taxi to the Iron Cross, and start there.

Many places will close on October 31, so plan accordingly. None of the small albergues are likely to be open, so you will be locked into the larger towns and cities. That means that stages will be longer, and you will not have the option to stop almost every 5 km. Albergues will be reluctant to provide and excess of heat, so be prepared for indoors to be as cold as outdoors.

Buen camino!

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. I'll look into this option. I really appreciate it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum