• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diverting to Norte

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
We are in the planning stages for our May/June17 Camino. We will likely be starting in SJPdP on the Frances. However I'm interested in possibly leaving the Frances along the way and walking some/all of the Norte.

1) What's the closest to Santiago along the Norte that you can begin and receive your Compostella?
2) My primary interest is to walk along coastal portions of the Norte (or any other route for that matter). What would be a good transition point? (from where - to where)

Mark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What's the closest to Santiago along the Norte that you can begin and receive your Compostella?

I think that Baamonde but wait for confirmation for someone with first-hand experience.

My primary interest is to walk along coastal portions of the Norte (or any other route for that matter). What would be a good transition point? (from where - to where)

It depends on how much you want to walk on the Francés and how you want to change (if walking or taking public transport). You can easily change from Pamplona to San Sebastián (or even to Irún if you want to walk all the Norte) or to Bilbao. From Logroño and Burgos you can easily change to San Sebastián and Bilbao as well as to Santander. From Frómista you could go to Santander easily too. From León you could walk the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo and once in Oviedo walk to Avilés to pick the Norte there... Or you could take a bus or train from León all the way to Gijón and continue on the Norte from Gijón onwards.

I think that Baamonde but wait for confirmation for someone with first-hand experience.

It depends on how much you want to walk on the Francés and how you want to change (if walking or taking public transport). You can easily change from Pamplona to San Sebastián (or even to Irún if you want to walk all the Norte) or to Bilbao. From Logroño and Burgos you can easily change to San Sebastián and Bilbao as well as to Santander. From Frómista you could go to Santander easily too. From León you could walk the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo and once in Oviedo walk to Avilés to pick the Norte there... Or you could take a bus or train from León all the way to Gijón and continue on the Norte from Gijón onwards.

Thank you for the fast reply. I know there are many ways to go, but I was looking for personal insight or recommendation. The question is from my sister who will be joining us for her first Camino. She has a desire to walk a portion of her Camino near the sea. We can switch off the Frances and onto Norte, but I know not all the Norte is by the sea and, like the Frances, not all of it is beautiful.

I thought switching to the Norte "for a few days" and then back to the Frances might be to disruptive - but having never done that I'm not sure - so I was recommending we search for a place to switch from the Frances early enough to have time by the sea, but not so late to miss getting a Compostella and just complete the Camino on the Frances.

There is so much I want to see again on the Frances, but also would like to experience something new.

Love to hear from folks about their advice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it's the coast of the Norte that interests you, you may want to pass on the last 100 km of the Norte as they are inland.

Visit the Eroski site, it lists the "main" etapas with distances, and you can work them back and see where that is on the map.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=camino+del+norte+map&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=-h8npKC-FyxrKM:

Hope this helps a bit.

Perhaps you would consider starting in the Norte, going back to the Frances when you get to Santander for example, jump on a bus to Burgos and pick up the Frances there. The first 7-1o days of the Norte are beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
An option you might consider is to get off the Norte in S. Vicente de la Barquera, walk the Camino Lebaniego to the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana (next year is a Holy year there) and continuing on the Camino Vadiniense all the way to the Francés (you would join the Francés in Mansilla de las Mulas).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.