• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, for me the best bit was the first two weeks, but in my opinion, it was also the hardest section. After that, it was still hard, just not as hard.

There are an awful lot of up and downs on the Norte.

So, in a nutshell, if you want a less challenging section, it's not the first two weeks.

After that, it's a bit subjective I'm afraid.

If you have only 2 weeks then concider starting from Aviles.

The nature is beautiful, you do not need to worry about booking everything and no mountain challenges for quite a while.

You get Asturias + Galicia. The best combo meal you can order.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The easiest part by far of the Norte is from La Caridad. I guess you could stretch this out to 8 or 9 days. The Norte ends in Arzua so you could walk to Santiago in another 2 days. This part of the Norte is very pretty but it doesn't compare to some of the spectacular scenery along the coast. What makes the Norte less challenging is walking those tough sections especially the first week or so. You build your endurance and strength. If you want a really less challenging camino and want ocean views I would recommend walking the coastal Portugues from Porto.

I fully agree with MadisV!!! I did the Norte last year from Bilbao. The entire walk is beautiful, but if I had two weeks, I'd start in Aviles. Not Gijon, Aviles. That way, you start in a quiet little town and end up on the quiet country roads in no time, as opposed to walking 20+ km out of Gijon.

It depends on what you mean by challenging . The trail from Irun to Santander was physically challenging but oh so beautiful with fantastic towns along the way.

I found the trail west from Santander less rewarding. Too much road walking unless you made an effort to follow the coastal trails.

I don’t mind physical days when the reward is a lovely town or the hospitality of a pilgrim albergue. I find highway walking and the loneliness of a hotel to be spiritually challenging. I can recover from physical effort pretty quickly with a drink in the company of good souls.

So you might want to examine what’s important to you before you decide.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all . Will check on Gronze those places mentioned
I have done the CF X 2 and Portuguese Coastal from Lisbon
I have allowed extra time. So pondering what I really want or what is important for me
I arrive in Madrid 1 May then train to North Spain

Hi Marianne!
How nice to catch you here.
I like that northern coastline so much.
But it always appear a little tough for me, especially starting from Irun.
Another one I am investigating is the Arragones, starting at Canfranc Station, winding down thru the hill country to meeting the CF just before Puenta del Reina, so not far from Pamplona. They say it takes six or seven days. For me that means eight or ten.
Anyway I've heard about Canfranc Station since I was boy, always dreamed of seeing it, and I have a connection to the Albergue in the village of Canfranc. a few k's further down the road.
Regards
Gerard

Hi Marianne!
How nice to catch you here.
I like that northern coastline so much.
But it always appear a little tough for me, especially starting from Irun.
Another one I am investigating is the Arragones, starting at Canfranc Station, winding down thru the hill country to meeting the CF just before Puenta del Reina, so not far from Pamplona. They say it takes six or seven days. For me that means eight or ten.
Anyway I've heard about Canfranc Station since I was boy, always dreamed of seeing it, and I have a connection to the Albergue in the village of Canfranc. a few k's further down the road.
Regards
Gerard
Hi there I am doing Camino Aragonese first. Then Del Norte.
Thanks
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It depends on what you mean by challenging . The trail from Irun to Santander was physically challenging but oh so beautiful with fantastic towns along the way.

I found the trail west from Santander less rewarding. Too much road walking unless you made an effort to follow the coastal trails.

I don’t mind physical days when the reward is a lovely town or the hospitality of a pilgrim albergue. I find highway walking and the loneliness of a hotel to be spiritually challenging. I can recover from physical effort pretty quickly with a drink in the company of good souls.

So you might want to examine what’s important to you before you decide.

I walked the aragonés because I was interested in it and I wanted to get in shape before my second Norte Camino. I was able to handle all the hills until Bilbao with relative ease compared to my first Norte when I was gasping for air Al day, every day. That was four years ago so that plan may not work for me now 🙃.

More in line with your original question, Aviles is a good place to start, you could end in Santiago. Gijón to Aviles is a stage with a lot of industrial/ factory scenery. Not that appealing, after having done it once.

Hi everyone,

I am planing Camino del Norte only the part (for this year) from Irun to Santander. I will start on the 25th of April. It will be my first Camino walk and I am a bit worrying about the weather. I heard that it is one of the most rainy time and I am wondering how much can affect my walk... I would be grateful if anyone was there during these times and could share their experience.

Regards,
Mel

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,

I am planing Camino del Norte only the part (for this year) from Irun to Santander. I will start on the 25th of April. It will be my first Camino walk and I am a bit worrying about the weather. I heard that it is one of the most rainy time and I am wondering how much can affect my walk... I would be grateful if anyone was there during these times and could share their experience.

Regards,
Melike
We walked the Norte route, from Irun to Santiago, in 2019. Because it’s a coastal trek, I’d be prepared for rain year-round. No need to worry! It’s part of the journey/adventure, and I’m sure you’ll have a warm, dry place each evening. Take a poncho or rain jacket, and a cover for your pack. A hat too. Personally, I enjoyed it when it rained!

I am starting from Bilbao on the 25th of April. You will probably catch up to me since I am going slow :)

My experience from my previous caminos is that it is not that bad when it rains. It is part of the deal. I am trying to be flexible and not plan too much ahead so that I can maybe make it a shorter day if it is really bad.

I am starting from Bilbao on the 25th of April. You will probably catch up to me since I am going slow :)

My experience from my previous caminos is that it is not that bad when it rains. It is part of the deal. I am trying to be flexible and not plan too much ahead so that I can maybe make it a shorter day if it is really bad.
Hi Milena,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will definitely take it into consideration.
I wrote you in my mind, if I can catch up, we will meet and you may recognize me from my ginger hair :)

Mel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, for me the best bit was the first two weeks, but in my opinion, it was also the hardest section. After that, it was still hard, just not as hard.

There are an awful lot of up and downs on the Norte.

So, in a nutshell, if you want a less challenging section, it's not the first two weeks.

After that, it's a bit subjective I'm afraid.
In NZ, we're used to ups and downs!😂

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.