• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Do I need to bring a passport?

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
I know perhaps not all country nationals will be able to relate to this question.
I have an EU national identity card - I can fly with it freely anywhere in the EU - no passport needed. Also, I have a driving licence; so I was thinking to just bring these two cards - nice, compact, easy.
Is there any need for a passport - I don't know - for check in at accommodations or for the certificate - any reason at all?
Has anyone travelled without a passport here - can you share your experience on that?

Thanks in advance, as always!
Sophia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With the Dutch national identity card you can travel in Europe and Spain is in Europe , that will be no problem .
Don’t know where you live but google to find out where you can travel to with your id card.

Wish you well , Peter .

Hi, Sophia,

There is ongoing thread with the same question. Maybe scroll down the new posts a bit or use Search function.
But to answer you short: you'll be OK with your national (EU) ID card.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
With the Dutch national identity card you can travel in Europe and Spain is in Europe , that will be no problem .
Don’t know where you live but google to find out where you can travel to with your id card.

Wish you well , Peter .
Hi Peter, thanks for your reply!
I am confident I can travel with my ID card - however, I was just wondering, perhaps for some reason albergues wouldn't take people in, unless they see a passport or something like that.

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply!
I am confident I can travel with my ID card - however, I was just wondering, perhaps for some reason albergues wouldn't take people in, unless they see a passport or something like that.
You would be ok.

Your national ID card and a 'pilgrim passport' - that means your pilgrim credencial which should have your name and national ID number written in it. Tighter security this last year or so means places now need both. One to prove who you are and the other to prove you are a pilgrim. ☺

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum