• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dog Warning

mmm042

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
Hi.

I'm in Zamora now and wanted to warn those behind me about two aggressive dogs that are just outside the town of Calzada de Valdunciel, a little north of Salamanca. Two days ago as I was leaving town around 1 p.m., I heard two dogs barking and racing towards me. They appeared to be German Shepherd mixes. The home has a gate, but they scrambled over debris next to the gate and onto the road. I turned toward them, but kept walking backwards down the road. One ran back to his house once he saw I was passing, but the other kept snarling and me and baring his teeth. He was only a yard or so away from me and I knew my walking sticks wouldn't be any protection. I yelled, "GO HOME!" -- which I've done many times in the past, without luck -- and the dog actually paused and started to turn back. But then he turned back towards me and made two little charges, so I tried what someone else on this forum said, which was to reach down and pretend to pick up a rock to throw. My Camino angels were there, and the dog went home. I couldn't believe it, given the level of aggression he/she was demonstrating.

Just a warning to those of you coming through. If I had to go again, I'd find someone from town to walk me past that house!

Other than that, my first few days out here have been heavenly. Beautiful views, good food, great people, great weather.

Melanie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

You did the right thing Melanie. I once posted this:

I suppose someone might have to throw one sooner or later.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Melanie, thank god nothing happened to you. I remember people telling me that on the camino St.James always guides you. Hope you won´t be in similar situation in the future. Next time show him/her (these dogs) your beautiful TEETH and let him know that your BITES really hurt!!! ha!ha!ha! Cheer up

Most read last week in this forum