• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Name of Dog at Oseira?

Shine

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (October 2023)
As our family is approaching another camino, I'd like to ask if anyone is aware of the name of the black dog that hangs out in the monastery in Oseira along the camino Sanabres. My brother surmised that it may be a Spanish mastiff as it is quite large. This dog did us a great service by guiding us out of a dark and rainy path leading out of the monastery during last October's pounding rain. We left the albergue at the very early hours of the morning as we were anticipating a long day to get past the closed albergue at Castro Dozon and along the way, my mom broke her ribs after falling on very slippery rocks. We only had one headlamp and this dog that 1) picked us up from the albergue in the morning and 2) lead us through the dark to safety. We truly wanted to take it home as we believed it had saved us in more ways than one but it had a leash so belonged to someone. If anyone encounters this dog along the way, please send all our love and if anyone knows the name of our savior, we would be so grateful to find out.

Unfortunately, we don't have any good pictures, but I've attached a few anyway.

Attachments

• 2022-10-27 15.10.45.jpg
    2022-10-27 15.10.45.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,507
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 96
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We ran into a very similar dog after leaving Osiera that followed pilgrims for a couple of days all the way to Bandeira, where the authorities picked it up. I think they indicated they knew the dog and it belonged to the Monastery and would take it home, we figured it was a dog that enjoyed walking the Camino. I don’t have a good picture either, but here is one when it was walking with us.

Attachments

• 98B2B60E-7F6B-411E-B287-612D3BC78B25.jpeg
    98B2B60E-7F6B-411E-B287-612D3BC78B25.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
We ran into a very similar dog after leaving Osiera that followed pilgrims for a couple of days all the way to Bandeira, where the authorities picked it up. I think they indicated they knew the dog and it belonged to the Monastery and would take it home, we figured it was a dog that enjoyed walking the Camino. I don’t have a good picture either, but here is one when it was walking with us.
This might be the one. Ah, so it belongs to the monastery. Thanks for sharing!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes it seems that he ( he seemed like a boy but maybe not) had appointed himself (or herself) as the pilgrim guide out of Oseira.
He/ she walked with us in the dark up that first very steep and rocky section. When we got to the road he / she turned around and went home.
Blessed dog. It felt so very comforting.

PS. I am reminding myself of the Liberation Front scene in The Life Of Brian. 🤣🤣

Yes it seems that he ( he seemed like a boy but maybe not) had appointed himself (or herself) as the pilgrim guide out of Oseira.
He/ she walked with us in the dark up that first very steep and rocky section. When we got to the road he / she turned around and went home.

PS. I am reminding myself of the Liberation Front scene in The Life Of Brian. 🤣🤣
Interesting that we didn't encounter him until around Castro Dozon where he led / walked with a group of Spanish pilgrims. He showed up in Estacion de Lalin, we encountered him in Sedilla, and then he walked with us and another pilgrim into Bandeira. Quite a way from home if he was the same (monastery) dog.

As our family is approaching another camino, I'd like to ask if anyone is aware of the name of the black dog that hangs out in the monastery in Oseira along the camino Sanabres. My brother surmised that it may be a Spanish mastiff as it is quite large. This dog did us a great service by guiding us out of a dark and rainy path leading out of the monastery during last October's pounding rain. We left the albergue at the very early hours of the morning as we were anticipating a long day to get past the closed albergue at Castro Dozon and along the way, my mom broke her ribs after falling on very slippery rocks. We only had one headlamp and this dog that 1) picked us up from the albergue in the morning and 2) lead us through the dark to safety. We truly wanted to take it home as we believed it had saved us in more ways than one but it had a leash so belonged to someone. If anyone encounters this dog along the way, please send all our love and if anyone knows the name of our savior, we would be so grateful to find out.

Unfortunately, we don't have any good pictures, but I've attached a few anyway.
How lovely

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting that we didn't encounter him until around Castro Dozon where he led / walked with a group of Spanish pilgrims. He showed up in Estacion de Lalin, we encountered him in Sedilla, and then he walked with us and another pilgrim into Bandeira. Quite a way from home if he was the same (monastery) dog.
That is quite a long way from home. But I’ve got a feeling it’s the same one. ❤️ this pilgrim dog.

Blessed dog indeed! Our German acquaintances dubbed him the holy dog. Looks like we had a bit of a similar experience in the dark. Funny thing too was that he led us to the viewpoint first to take photos in the dark before moving on.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back