• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

drinking water

moonwood

A question about the drinking water in Spain. Is the tap water OK to drink on the Camino, in the refugios etc.? Is bottled water easily available along route?
Thanks Renata

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Water

Hi Renata, I never bought bottled water on the Camino. Just filled up my water bottle in refugios and at fountains. All but a few fountains have drinkable water, and those that don't are clearly marked. There is no need to by bottled water, unless that is your preference.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
True - and if you are really stuck just knock on the next door that you pass.

Hi !

Bottled water is easy to find along the way. I bought some quite often. Supporting the local economy, and being generally sceptic about tapped water. Besides, you you use the same bottle for too long, it becomes quite dirty. But the times I used water from taps along the way, wheter it was in the refugios or the taps for pilgrims along the way, I had no problems, even if my stomach easily gets upset when I am being abroad.
I kept a few Imodiums just to keep certain, but I never used them.

Good luck, and buen camino !

Liv

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hallo all

We walked the camino in October and met a French lady who told us that she got infected after drinking the water along the camino and advised us against drinking non-potable water. So we took our advice and bought bottled water along the way

Regards

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I trusted it, without problem

and as for bottled water, it's very available and at the grocery store chain that gives you free stuff (can't remember the name) you can get lots

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum