• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hydration pack or water bottles?

BrendanRoach

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I am doing the Camino from Leon and was wondering if I should get a hydration pack for my backpack?

I was thinking No! but then I wondered if I could refill drink bottles with water about every 5 klms. In that way, I do not need to carry a lot of water (weight).

So, are the drinking fountains regularly along the way?
Is the water safe to drink from the water fountains?
Can you buy bottled water frequently along the route?

I am walking from mid September to early October so I am not worried about the heat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just finished the Frances (June7). I had both a water bottle and a bladder, planning to drain the bladder each day, then get the bottle filled and add my electrolytes. After the first week I quit using the bladder. Just kept refilling the water bottle. But, I would often fill it with tap water from a sink or potable water fountains, so can’t really speak to how prevalent bottled water was.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just use a water bottle. The bladders are such a hassle to pull out of your backpack to fill up. Also if you don’t let it air out every couple days it will grow mildew and you can get sick. There are plenty of fountains in the Frances. I carry a 32oz Nalgene as my reserve water. Then I have just a regular 12 oz bottle that I refill throughout the day. The 12 oz bottle is small and easier to pull out of my backpack water pocket than a bigger bottle if I don’t want to take off my pack.

Also if you don’t let it air out every couple days it will grow mildew and you can get sick.
This is not true. So long as you are putting only clean water in it every day there's no reason that it will grow mold or mildew. I finished 40+ days on the Camino and I never did anything other than a (very) occasional rinse. No issues whatsoever.

Here's a good post on the topic of bladders and when to clean them (or not).

1. Sanitation. With water carry, bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay just as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through frequent use which keeps bottles, reservoirs, and tubing fresh and sanitary. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc.) are put into a bottle or a reservoir.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

One example study, from 2009:
https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(09)70419-3/fulltext

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and then are not properly washed out prior to long term storage. Mold may also form in the shorter term when fluids with sugars are exposed to warmth and sun.

Also, not all discolorations are harmful molds. Most times, it may be an algae growth from leaving stagnant water exposed to light

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used water bottles with the SmarTube and loved it. Kinda the best of both worlds. Super easy to take a sip while walking.

My original plan was to use a bladder, but many folks made a good point about how challenging it can be to remove and reinsert the bladder from the inside your pack along the hike.

I used my cycling water bottles. The kit comes with a couple of different sized tops, so you have options. Bottles fit easily into the side bottle pocket on my pack.

Buen Camino!!

I wondered if I could refill drink bottles with water about every 5 klms.
No. I recently posted about this here. In short, only about 60% of places will be within 5 km of the previous one. The other 40% are going to be further, some much further.
There are fonts at villages and towns, and there are some fonts between villages, but not regularly in my experience.
Not all fonts will be regularly tested for potability. If they are fed from the town water supply, you can expect them to be potable. If they are definitely non-potable, they will be marked as such. Other signs indicated that the water haven't been tested or treated, eg if they are fed by a stream, spring or from an underground water source.
Yes, at bars and cafes, supermercados of various sizes, and food/drink vans that trade between towns.

And as a postscript, to answer your first question, that is up to you. I have always used a bladder with a reserve plastic bottle. I don't ever put anything but clean water in the bladder. If I make up a re-hydration mix, that is done in the bottle. Once in a while, normally before I leave for the camino, I will flush my bladder and hose with a cleaning tablet, typically a denture cleaning tablet because I already have a supply of these.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used a bladder once. The cap broke.

Since then I have always used half-litre bottles. I usually carry four. I keep them inside my pack where the water remains cool for a surprisingly long time.

I have only run out of water once: on the VF between Canterbury and Dover!!

No. I recently posted about this here. In short, only about 60% of places will be within 5 km of the previous one. The other 40% are going to be further, some much further.

There are fonts at villages and towns, and there are some fonts between villages, but not regularly in my experience.

Not all fonts will be regularly tested for potability. If they are fed from the town water supply, you can expect them to be potable. If they are definitely non-potable, they will be marked as such. Other signs indicated that the water haven't been tested or treated, eg if they are fed by a stream, spring or from an underground water source.

Yes, at bars and cafes, supermercados of various sizes, and food/drink vans that trade between towns.

And as a postscript, to answer your first question, that is up to you. I have always used a bladder with a reserve plastic bottle. I don't ever put anything but clean water in the bladder. If I make up a re-hydration mix, that is done in the bottle. Once in a while, normally before I leave for the camino, I will flush my bladder and hose with a cleaning tablet, typically a denture cleaning tablet because I already have a supply these.
Its never been the " fillabilty " as an issue with me and bladders. I use them for the ease of " water on the go " of which principle I am a devoted adherent.

Each to his own no doubt :)

Stay safe.

Samarkand.

The advantage of hydratation pack is that you can drink more often, without stopping walking.
The drawback is that you have to take it out to refill, and that you cannot share water with others.

On the Meseta when the weather is hot I give advice to bring 2L of water.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The drawback is that you have to take it out to refill, and that you cannot share water with others.
That depends on the bladder and the configuration of your pack. I normally use a Source bladder, and either carry the refill kit that allows it to be refilled without even opening up my pack, or I can refill it by removing the top clip, again without removing the bladder itself from the pack.

As for sharing water, I'm not sure that it is any more difficult than sharing a bottle. If there was some emergency where sharing might be essential, it could be done. That said, my tolerance for other people's saliva is quite low, and I don't think I would normally consider sharing from either a bottle or a bladder.

On both my Camino Frances i used only bottles and would do so again. Bladders are fine for me when i can properly clean them at home but i would not want to take them on Camino. Plus I'd rather refill my bottle with cold water every couple of km than have my bladder getting warmer by the hour.
Depending on how much water you drink, you can be fine with as little as 1L, maybe even less, depending on the frequency of villages and fountains. I'd usually take something around 1,5L. Just to be sure. Occasionally a bit extra when i knew i would have a very hot day or little to no resupply for longer distances.

I recommend getting something to attach a bottle to the shoulder straps if you want to use them. Bottle sleeves are sold by different companies, but there are also clips you can use. Find that much easier than getting the bottle out of my side pockets everytime.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am doing the Camino from Leon and was wondering if I should get a hydration pack for my backpack?

I was thinking No! but then I wondered if I could refill drink bottles with water about every 5 klms. In that way, I do not need to carry a lot of water (weight).

I am walking from mid September to early October so I am not worried about the heat.
I prefer to carry two water bottles. One on each side of the pack for balance and easy to refill at a fountain or cafe/bar. Also; I generally have electrolytes in one and plain water in the other.
Fresh orange juice is a pleasure and I sometimes fill one bottle with it after buying a litre and drinking some for breakfast.
I only buy water occasionally and that would be fizzy water out of the fridge. They say fizzy water is absorbed quicker, or my wife says it and who am I to disagree.
Two bottles gives you this flexibility. Each to their own but this works well for me.

Thanks, Thats what I was thinking. Just refill water bottles
I always use a bladder (and take additional spare water). You can walk a long way without food but not far without water. The tube for my water bladder is held next to my mouth so I can drink frequently. The tendency is to drink less when you have to keep reaching for a bottle.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also like the combination of hydration pack and separate water bottle for electrolyte mix.

The Osprey hydration pack has a stiff back, making it easier to put it back in your pack (I initially bought an off-brand hydration system by mistake, one of those Amazon switcheroos when you search for something specific and a "sponsored" product comes up first - the stiff back really makes a difference, maybe other brands have it too). The tube detaches at the top, making it easier to remove for refilling.

I used a HydraPak 500 ml collapsible silicon water bottle with a wide mouth for electrolyte mix (and easy refill once I finished the mix). There's a loop on the lid so it attaches easily to front of your pack and has a small slim profile that doesn't roll around; once you're done it can be flattened, rolled up and stowed away. Wide mouth also makes for easier cleaning. Additional advantage to a hydro pack is you can see how much water you have consumed. I mention this with more detail because I found lots of people I met on the Camino were interested in it (and took photo to help them remember) because the loop and compact size made it easier to access from the front than their stiff bottles in side/back pockets and also the light weight and slim profile. I also use it in airports, empty through security, add water and electrolyte mix after I pass through to sip on flight. Available at REI in US.

I always use a bladder (and take additional spare water). You can walk a long way without food but not far without water. The tube for my water bladder is held next to my mouth so I can drink frequently. The tendency is to drink less when you have to keep reaching for a bottle.
Agree about tendency to drink less if water is not easily accessible! If you're waiting until you're thirsty to drink, you're likely waiting too long. Walking with people using a bottle stowed in their packs, I would often be asked to help them get it out or put it back and noticed they might go hours without drinking, maybe because of the hassle?

I brought a 1qt canteen. The longest I’ve gone without seeing a water fountain is probably 17k, which is about 3.5hrs walking. If you’re drinking enough water at night, a 3L bladder is overkill.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I brought a 1qt canteen. The longest I’ve gone without seeing a water fountain is probably 17k, which is about 3.5hrs walking. If you’re drinking enough water at night, a 3L bladder is overkill.
3L seems like overkill in any event - 2L worked fine for me, filled it to 1L mark on days when the route indicated lots of potable water locations on route, filled it up on days where there weren't. 2L is heavy!

3L seems like overkill in any event - 2L worked fine for me, filled it to 1L mark on days when the route indicated lots of potable water locations on route, filled it up on days where there weren't. 2L is heavy!
How much you need depends on a lot of things. Some are external eg temperature and humidity, but some are internal. I don’t seem to need as much when I am walking as long as I catch up in the evening. My wife is different needing a steady amount during the day.
I read on a PCT through hiker site that if you are not peeing 8 times a day then you are dehydrated. Seems like a good guide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally I prefer the hydration pack, however like others have said above, I carry a small bottle to mix electrolytes. The rucksack I favour these days is a Scrambler RT 35 which has a hydration sleeve which I do find handy.

It's quicker than most of pilgrims with a backpack: average speed is estimated to 4km/h. Therefore, 17km means more than 4 hours walking.
Google Maps assumes that an average human walks at 4.5km/hour or 3 miles/hour. Supposedly it adjusts for slope but not distance or terrain, nor for if someone overpacks or has blisters or whatnot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The advantage of hydratation pack is that you can drink more often, without stopping walking.

We thought that would be the case but the two times we tried bladders we found, after the hike (very hot - Grand Canyon) we had drunk about 2/3s of what we thought and of what we had intended to drink.

We’ve gone back to bottles so we can be sure we drink enough.

I much prefer my metal bottles to plastic as it keeps my water cold and it tastes better. Sometimes I fill them up, other days not. It depends on the walk and the weather. Some days there are lots of places to get more water, other days not. Using Wise Pilgrim or a guide book, you get an idea of where you can fill your bottle.

This is not true. So long as you are putting only clean water in it every day there's no reason that it will grow mold or mildew. I finished 40+ days on the Camino and I never did anything other than a (very) occasional rinse. No issues whatsoever.
Take both. Bladder water on the move. When you stop drink from bottle which you can refill at fountains.

€60,-
I used a water bladder and was so happy I did. Did not want to carry water bottles in front of me and would not have been able to easily reach either pocket of my Osprey backpack. I emptied the 2L bladder nightly and put this inside (something similar, mine was black and not the same brand) to ensure it was kept clean and dry when not in use.

Hydration Bladder Dryer 2Pack - Camelback Cleaner Kit - Absorbs Moisture within 5-6 Hours - Used with & w/out Hydration Bladder Cleaning Kit & Cleaning tablets - Hiking Backpack Drying Kit https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Z6CXBJ4?tag=santiagodec0b-20

The most I filled it to was 1.5L (for the meseta) and filled it as needed. Super easy to take out and put back in regardless if bag was fully packed. I prefer to drink smaller quantities often while walking rather than use a bottle.

Having said that using a water bladder vs bottle is a personal choice.

I am also interested to know of this. Thank you.

When I did the Camino Frances my walking partner did not clean his and got sick so it can be true.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I would be careful with ‘bladders’ (hydration packs), as they have a tendency to leak. I learned this the hard way two or three times on different Eurowalks. For that reason, I always carry bottles in addition to my bladder, despite the extra weight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I prefer the running style flasks that go in pockets on the front of my pack. They are half a litre each and I'll have a third one in my pack. It all depends on your walking style too, once I get going I can't be bothered to stop to get my bottle out, so I like my water near my mouth and sip often and keep going.

Also, when you're having a tough moment, it feels hard, heavy legs: reason one is often dehydration and second lack of carbs. So for endurance type action they recommend to sip sip snack. Drink a lot and eat a something regularly. For me, who likes to keep going, I keep water and snacks handy.

At the end of the day, what works for you is best for you.

I do not use a bladder simply on the issue of carrying more water than I can use during a day when bottle water/fountains are available.

Keep in mind that water weighs 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) per liter.

Carrying a 2.5 liter bladder of water weighs 5.5 pounds. I often see people with much bigger bladders fill
them each morning and carry unused water all day.

I am just not into carrying unused weight.:cool:

I have used the Blue Desert drinking tube set up for many years. It gives you the bladder type tube convenience on a bottle of water...most sizes.
Amazon used to carry it ....but now it is easiest to find at WalMart.

Use the link below…I have no idea why it is labeled that way but I can’t change the label

It does lead to the WalMart site for the tube

Last edited:

Hi Brendan, I learned about the hybrid hydriation system from a friend who did the Camino 5 times.
It's basically a hydriation pack using bottles. This works fantastic for me
Currently using the Convertube from Source. Highly recommended.

Check out on YouTube:

Last edited:

€60,-
You may be mixing up cause and effect.
I mean I literally saw the mildew in the water bladder so I’m not confused here. It was a new water bladder and after 6 weeks it had mildew so I’m not sure what else I need to say to prove it but that was the experience I encountered and it’s not cool to dismiss my experience as something that didn’t happen or is not true.

I used water bottles with the SmarTube and loved it. Kinda the best of both worlds. Super easy to take a sip while walking.

My original plan was to use a bladder, but many folks made a good point about how challenging it can be to remove and reinsert the bladder from the inside your pack along the hike.

I used my cycling water bottles. The kit comes with a couple of different sized tops, so you have options. Bottles fit easily into the side bottle pocket on my pack.

Buen Camino!!
great Idea, I will look into it

IMHO Far more flexibility with bottles. I buy them in country and rotate them as required - usually two "powerade" bottles for balance which are of sturdy plastic and have a nozzle top. Don't have to stop to use. Not stressed of damaging or loosing and can alternate preferred liquid if required. If a longer stretch coming up or heat an issue I just add a couple more lightweight bottles. I can also distribute the weight where I want it. Certainly not a fan of bladders which I find inflexible, limiting and of questionable hygiene. Every litre of water is 1kg so I only carry what I need. TBH Didn't carry anything until Burgos on the CF due to frequency of villages etc. The CF is not the Outback ! Good luck !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it possible your friend was eating and sipping at same time (take a bite, take a sip), say like an energy bar or something else? In that way, some food or sugars could have come in contact with the drinking nipple and through that into the bladder itself? (more obviously, putting any kind of flavor powders in the bladder, but that doesn't seem to be the case here?). In my experience, if just pure water and no sugars, highly unlikely to get mold over 6 week period - although they do need to be cleaned when not in use, saliva can also contaminate. I used to keep a camelback bottle in my office for water and was horrified one day to notice black mold inside the nipple (hard to see because of the dark blue silicon and it was disgusting to think of how long I had used it without noticing it, ugh!. But I routinely would take a bite of something, take a sip, like when I was eating my lunch at my desk. And saliva too. That and months of lax cleaning routine and not checking the nipple (the inside of the bottle had no visible mold). I stopped using them after that.

I used a Gatorade water bottle strapped on to my pack strap with shockcords. Easy to drink while on the go. It lasted the entire Frances Camino--over 30 days. Gatorade is a particularly robust bottle with an excellent twist cap.
And, yes, there are plenty of drinking fountains. No need to buy water. I used Orux Maps (off line, GPS) to locate water fountains not immediately on the Camino).

Attachments

• Gatorade bottle with shock cords.jpg
    Gatorade bottle with shock cords.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Very good advice here. Recent readings of this App helped point out my habit - I’m a sipper. My pack has a bladder system, but now it’s modified to feed from an exterior bottle via tube. One post stuck with me - the writer said it was important to them to see their water supply and assess a top off. It all added up to alter my kit. This research optimized my process.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

On the Meseta when the weather is hot I give advice to bring 2L of water.
You can share with others simply by squirting some into a cup/mug or whatever! I likewise carry 2l on Meseta.

Samarkand.

Bottles will be fine, preferably ones that will last you the whole of your camino. 2 x 1L is my choice and there are plenty of places to re fill with potable water. This is a well trodden path and most of the guide books show where the fonts are

The trouble with water bladders is you can't see how much water you have left without taking off your pack and looking inside it so most tend to overfill them adding that extra weight, especially on the Francis where there is no shortage of places to refill with drinking water, and bottles are a lot easier to fill up.

€83,-

Bottled water readily available. Spain is a modern country after all. There are a couple of stages where there are no villages or fountains so you need to carry more water than usual. I would advise against filling bottles in albergues in towns/cities. Water is perfectly potable but I found the taste to be a bit chemically if thats a word. Fountains are usually fine but where not, they are marked as non potable. Basically, getting water is no more difficult than in your home country. As for bladders, I have never used them. It may only be a myth but I have heard that as they are harder to clean than a bottle, bacteria can build up hence some of the stomach problems around half way stage

I mean I literally saw the mildew in the water bladder so I’m not confused here. It was a new water bladder and after 6 weeks it had mildew so I’m not sure what else I need to say to prove it but that was the experience I encountered and it’s not cool to dismiss my experience as something that didn’t happen or is not true.
Thank you for the additional info. Cannot image why such a thing happened as I have used my water pack for up to 8 weeks and for more than 8 years without any issues. However, I only ever put water in it.

I would be careful with ‘bladders’ (hydration packs), as they have a tendency to leak. I learned this the hard way two or three times on different Eurowalks. For that reason, I always carry bottles in addition to my bladder, despite the extra weight.
The only time I have seen a bladder 'leak' was when it was one with a screw closure that had not been sealed properly. I wouldn't be blaming the bladder for that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Its a personal choice. I always take 2 x 500ml bottles for the Frances.
Im not a fan of bladders.

Thanks for all the feedback. It has been very helpful

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I don't like to carry water bottles. They are so easy to leave somewhere and getting them out of my pack is a hassle. With a bladder I found that I could drink when I wanted hands free. It meant everything to me.

CF gives no problem in getting water: regular stretches with lots of cafés where you buy extra bottles.
Here I used mostly ½ litre bottles. Never went dry.
On the VdlP were long stretches with irregular service and walking alone, you want to hedge your bets, and I used both bladder and bottles
Tip: buy bottled water before nighttime, fill up bladder, put into fridge over night, and you have cool water till noon.
Upside on bladder is, as mentioned, the sipping method: two mouthful at a certain interval will guard against overdrinking. One mouthful for downing and number two for keeping long in the mouth will keep you long on a hot day. My hot days took 2,5 litres in the bladder and two ½ litre bottles, and then some further refreshments on the way.....
At the end station of the day, a large bottle of water to clean my system ...Ahhhh

CF gives no problem in getting water: regular stretches with lots of cafés where you buy extra bottles.
Here I used mostly ½ litre bottles. Never went dry.
Did you carry more than one bottle for the legs likely to be longer than an hour or so of walking?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used a bladder and carried an empty water bottle to easily refill the bladder without taking it out of my pack. What I like better about a bladder (compared with a water bottle) is: The bladder can be purged of air so the water doesn't make sloshing noises while walking, the water stays cool, it's easy to drink from and there's no bottle to get/put away (which I did a lot for my fellow-walkers), you don't need to be hunting for water (I'd either fill mine to last the full day or to last a half-day).

Just use a water bottle. The bladders are such a hassle to pull out of your backpack to fill up. Also if you don’t let it air out every couple days it will grow mildew and you can get sick. There are plenty of fountains in the Frances. I carry a 32oz Nalgene as my reserve water. Then I have just a regular 12 oz bottle that I refill throughout the day. The 12 oz bottle is small and easier to pull out of my backpack water pocket than a bigger bottle if I don’t want to take off my pack.
Ditto. Water bottles

These were issues with previous generations of water bladders, and clearly bladders are still being put down for such things.
The bladders are such a hassle to pull out of your backpack to fill up.
Indeed, some still are, but there are many bladders with top clips that can be accessed without removing the bladder from the pack. I have had a couple of different versions of these, and either refill from a bottle or use a refill kit. See post #16 above. The refill kit should fit other bladders such as those with a screw cap, but I haven't tried that.
Also if you don’t let it air out every couple days it will grow mildew and you can get sick.
Again, modern bladders are generally made with some form of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal treatment that reduces the need for this. It has been nearly 15 years since I had a bladder or tube that had any fungal buildup after long term use. I am not suggesting that cleaning isn't required, but not every couple of days. I clean rinse mine out with a cleaning solution every few months. I only fill the bladder with water, never adding anything else. If I want to make up a hydration solution, I will do that in a separate bottle.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

At home, I always hike with a hydration pack, but switched it out for the Camino because of ease of refilling water bottles. Excellent choice on my part - I never had a problem finding water - if not a fountain, then an accommodating restaurant or bar. Having to dig a hydration pack out of my backpack to refill, then repack, would have been an unnecessary hassle.

You can add a quick connect system to a hydration pack to enable you to refill via the tube without removing the pack from the backpack.

How to info in this post.

There are modification kits by Sawyer and others which are inexpensive and allow one to add the ability to refill the water reservoir without removing the water bladder. Heck, you do not even need to take the backpack off. It also allows a backpacking filter to be used if needing to refill from water sources which are suspect.

You will find a short demonstration video HERE. The video shows the Quick Disconnect being used with a backpacking water filter. However, for Camino I skip the water filter and attach the Quick Refill cap onto a collapsible bottle like this one HERE. With this, if I want to refill or do a bit of a top off:
1. I pull the collapsible bottle from my side pocket and unscrew the Quick Disconnect lid from the bottle
2. Fill the bottle and replace the Quick Disconnect lid.
3. Quick Disconnect the mouth piece from the feed tube and connect the water bottle to the feed tube.
4. Gently squeeze the water in the collapsible bottle into the feed tube, filling the water bladder.
5. Disconnect the bottle and reconnect the mouthpiece. Stow the water bottle

Normally, I do not completely fill my 2 liter water bladder. If I did wish to do so, It takes me well under a minute to do so following the steps above. If using a filter on the refill bottle, it would take a bit longer due to the decreased water flow due to the slight restriction to water flow through the water filter.

There are other brands of collapsible water bottles which I use as well, an include Sawyer and Osprey.

You can add a quick connect system to a hydration pack to enable you to refill via the tube without removing the pack from the backpack.

How to info in this post.
Or in my earlier post, #16, above for the Source refill kit which does the same thing. It might be more widely available than the Sawyer kit, which I have never seen in Australia or the places in Europe that I have shopped for trekking gear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you carry more than one bottle for the legs likely to be longer than an hour or so of walking?
Did not quite get that.. legs as in distances ?
on the CF the need was not more than one ½l bottle, no......the luxury here is a café almost every 45 minutes !

the luxury here is a café almost every 45 minutes
The CF must have changed a lot since I last did it, or you are walking extremely fast. About 60% of places seemed to be within 5 km of the previous place, the other 40% are longer distances. I did a check on godesalco.com, and that seems to bear out that impression. I think the longest distance is about 17 km, but there is only one of those, but there are quite a few that were over 10 km. Even at my best, I was averaging about 4.5 km/hr, so it would have taken me well over 2 hours to walk those.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think the longest distance is about 17 km, but there is only one of those, but there are quite a few that were over 10 km.
On the Meseta, when the weather is hot, I think that one liter of water is not enough. I have a 2L bladder.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I've been pondering this same question. Last year I walked Camino del Norte to Llanes and I'm finishing this year the Norte/Primitivo. Last year I just had a hydration pack. In May I hiked in Finland with a water bottle.
The cons to a hydration system: heavier if you completely fill, harder to fill, electrolytes change the taste for quite a while.
The pros to a hydration system: enough water for the whole day if you stop for coffee or a snack. Easy to access.
My bottle is very hard to get to without taking off my pack or having someone hand it to me. This October, I'm going to put some water in my hydration system and use a water bottle with electrolytes.
I found lots of places to get water - fountains, bottled water, cafes. On the Norte, I don't think you could fill every 5 km on the part that I was on. There were some longer stretches without fountains or towns.

The CF must have changed a lot since I last did it, or you are walking extremely fast. About 60% of places seemed to be within 5 km of the previous place, the other 40% are longer distances. I did a check on godesalco.com, and that seems to bear out that impression. I think the longest distance is about 17 km, but there is only one of those, but there are quite a few that were over 10 km. Even at my best, I was averaging about 4.5 km/hr, so it would have taken me well over 2 hours to walk those.
Maybe my memory does not serve me right as I tend to lose sense of time!!
At least it feels like there is a watering hole ever so often

The cons to a hydration system: heavier if you completely fill, harder to fill, electrolytes change the taste for quite a while

October, I'm going to put some water in my hydration system and use a water bottle with electrolytes.
Good plan. You should only put plain water in a hydration pack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am considering taking bottles on my next Camino instead of the hydration pack I have always used in the past. Ease of access is key to me so I am tossing up between attaching them to my backpack straps with a device like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004915518137.html
OR seeing as I like to wear a bumbag for my passport, money, journal, watercolours, glasses, phone etc trying something like this: https://waterflyshop.com/products/waist-pack-with-double-water-bottle-holders
OR with just one bottle seeing as you can only drink from one at a time and I only drink water (and keep a second in my pack) - like this:
OR this one
If anyone can comment on particular brands I would be all ears.
My final consideration would be whether it is worth taking my Clima24 bottle which keeps water cold (or hot) BUT it weighs 274g which is more than my insulated hydration bladder but only carries a quarter of the water. Or do I just stick with a cheap and nasty plastic bottle?

Last edited:
I am considering taking bottles on my next Camino instead of the hydration pack I have always used in the past. Ease of access is key to me
If you are used to using a hydration pack you can add a Sawyer quick connect kit and fill from the tube as @davebugg talks about in this post.

There are modification kits by Sawyer and others which are inexpensive and allow one to add the ability to refill the water reservoir without removing the water bladder. Heck, you do not even need to take the backpack off. It also allows a backpacking filter to be used if needing to refill from water sources which are suspect.

You will find a short demonstration video HERE. The video shows the Quick Disconnect being used with a backpacking water filter. However, for Camino I skip the water filter and attach the Quick Refill cap onto a collapsible bottle like this one HERE. With this, if I want to refill or do a bit of a top off:
1. I pull the collapsible bottle from my side pocket and unscrew the Quick Disconnect lid from the bottle
2. Fill the bottle and replace the Quick Disconnect lid.
3. Quick Disconnect the mouth piece from the feed tube and connect the water bottle to the feed tube.
4. Gently squeeze the water in the collapsible bottle into the feed tube, filling the water bladder.
5. Disconnect the bottle and reconnect the mouthpiece. Stow the water bottle

I am considering taking bottles on my next Camino instead of the hydration pack I have always used in the past. Ease of access is key to me so I am tossing up between attaching them to my backpack straps with a device like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004915518137.html
OR seeing as I like to wear a bumbag for my passport, money, journal, watercolours, glasses, phone etc trying something like this: https://waterflyshop.com/products/waist-pack-with-double-water-bottle-holders
OR with just one bottle seeing as you can only drink from one at a time and I only drink water (and keep a second in my pack) - like this:
OR this one
If anyone can comment on particular brands I would be all ears.
My final consideration would be whether it is worth taking my Clima24 bottle which keeps water cold (or hot) BUT it weighs 274g which is more than my insulated hydration bladder but only carries a quarter of the water. Or do I just stick with a cheap and nasty plastic bottle?
The year I walked the Via Podiensis with two friends, I used a waist bag with a water bottle holder nearly identical to the one you show on Amazon's "resistant Bottle" link and I loved it because I didn't need help from my friends when I needed a drink and was large enough to carry everything my usual waist bags hold. I did keep a larger bottle in my backpack side pouch to refill it on occasion.
Looking at the Waterfly brand, it looks great, too, in the single bottle model, but is almost twice the price.
I think you would be happy with either one of those two.

I took water bottles.
Some mention that, with a hydration pack, you don't have to stop to drink. I see that as a drawback. I think it is a good idea to stop when you drink. Your body gets a needed rest, even if just for a few minutes, and you get some deep sips of water as needed.
Water bottles are easy to share and to fill along the way.
If you use a bum bag with pockets to carry water, make sure a.) you can carry enough water to make it worth your while to carry them, and b.) they don't throw your natural gait and balance off, which can lead to some painful muscles.
I have wonderful memories, and photos, of those short pilgrim get togethers around the town fountain where everyone was refilling their water bottles.

Some mention that, with a hydration pack, you don't have to stop to drink. I see that as a drawback. I think it is a good idea to stop when you drink. Your body gets a needed rest, even if just for a few minutes, and you get some deep sips of water as needed.“

I appreciate that yours is the method you use; there is nothing wrong with doing hydration as a stopping break if you take frequent breaks in the course of an hour.

However, I separate how I hydrate myself the way I need to do, which is with regular sips of water as needed, from rest breaks I need every 60 to 90 minutes, to allow a short rest for muscles and joints and feet. I do not need a rest break more often than that based on my physical condition, preference, or needs.

If I wait to hydrate based on when I take my breaks, I would become dehydrated rather quickly. I would also note that for water uptake, frequent smaller sips seem better with GI uptake and absorption.

I do also hydrate during rest breaks. For me, it is not an ‘either or’ question or requirement.

Some mention that, with a hydration pack, you don't have to stop to drink. I see that as a drawback. I think it is a good idea to stop when you drink. Your body gets a needed rest, even if just for a few minutes, and you get some deep sips of water as needed.“

I appreciate that yours is the method you use; there is nothing wrong with doing hydration as a stopping break if you take frequent breaks in the course of an hour.

However, I separate how I hydrate myself the way I need to do, which is with regular sips of water as needed, from rest breaks I need every 60 to 90 minutes, to allow a short rest for muscles and joints and feet. I do not need a rest break more often than that based on my physical condition, preference, or needs.

If I wait to hydrate based on when I take my breaks, I would become dehydrated rather quickly. I would also note that for water uptake, frequent smaller sips seem better with GI uptake and absorption.

I do also hydrate during rest breaks. For me, it is not an ‘either or’ question or requirement.
There are as many ways to do a Camino as there are pilgrims! Buen Camino, friend!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now that I've switched from a packable daypack to my Camino pack with full load-out for training hikes, I started realizing how stopping to drink has to be a more mindful affair with side pocket water bottles, as it's not possible to reach the water bottle while walking on an internal frame pack, vs. on the more malleable daypack.

However, it brings me back to the days when I was in the Outdoor Activities Club back in junior college (a.k.a. senior high school), 30 years ago in Southeast Asia with no internet access and no local outdoor chain stores. We filled up 1.5-litre jumbo mineral water or soft drink bottles, and laid them horizontally in our packs, usually somewhere in the middle for better balance. Would I rather put my pack down, grab my water bottle from the side pocket and have a drink, vs. opening up a top loader, pulling out a bunch of clothes, and then lifting a 1.5 kg mega bottle to hydrate? Absolutely, any time! (As an aside, we often shared water, probably because of the sheer hassle of taking a bottle out. We would pass the bottle from one person to another and pour the water into our mouths, making sure that nobody's lips touched the bottle. This was only possible with narrow-mouth plastic disposable bottles, not the wide-mouth Nalgene kind).

Boots, shoes, sandals?
Poles or not?

It's the same with water bottles and bladders.
A very personal choice.
Whatever works best for you. @BrendanRoach

I have tried both.

On my first Camino I used a 2L bladder.
It worked great, till it didn't.
On a really hot day it leaked without me noticing.
Thankfully I came to a water supply within a few kms.
No problems with mould though.
I would clean it once week.

My biggest problem with bladders, apart from the fiddly refilling, was.......

I could not SEE how much water I had left.
So I ran out twice.
After that I started carrying an emergency 500 ml bottle as a backup.

Now, I use bottles.
2 x 1L mounted on the front straps of my pack. (spares in the side pockets if required)
And I attach a drinking tube so I can sip as I walk just like a bladder.
The benefits I have found are.
  1. I can see how much I have left.
  2. I can see how much I am drinking, to make sure I drink enough.
  3. The weight is on the front and acts like Aarn balance pockets, distributing the weight.
  4. They are very easy to swap over or refill.
Does the water get hot? No. I've never noticed it get hot.
But in very hot weather I use my umbrella anyway.

For me it's the perfect system. Doesn't look great, but who cares.
It allows me to closely manage by water supply and intake.
That's more important.

It's interesting here on the forum how threads that are months or sometimes years old suddenly spring back to life.

As @Robo says, the answer to this one is as individual as we are.

I started realizing how stopping to drink has to be a more mindful affair with side pocket water bottles, as it's not possible to reach the water bottle while walking on an internal frame pack, vs. on the more malleable daypack.
Like Robo, @PJX and @SF-Pilgrim, I use the combination Tube and water bottle system. My bottles stay inside my pack - on opposite sides- because they stay cooler there. You could of course put them in the pockets if you have insufficient room inside your pack. Or hang them as Robo does.
I have a half-liter bottle connected, and a 1l that I never ever drink from as my spare. (Minimal cleaning required, and that way I can easily share).
I'm somebody that likes to sip frequently, but also take a big long drink whenever I take a break. So then the bottle with the tube on comes out, cap off and I drink directly from it. Refill from the 1l, or fountain. After drinking my fill, top up and move on. For me, it's the best of both worlds.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
(...)
For some it is more difficult with a bladder to keep track of the remaining water supply since you can't see it. I remember being sadly surpised by an empty bladder on a long and hot road and whished I had brought a water bottle with me. Sipping and forgetting about the refill turned out to be a mistake!

For some it is more difficult with a bladder to keep track of the remaining water supply since you can't see it. I remember being sadly surpised by an empty bladder on a long and hot road and whished I had brought a water bottle with me. Sipping and forgetting about the refill turned out to be a mistake!
This is so easily addressed by carrying a small water bottle, somewhere around 500 to 750 ml, and using that to top up the bladder. This provides considerable flexibility. I use the small bottle to make up a hydration mix at the end of the day, and for water treatment when I collect water when I am bush walking. I have even done this on the camino where I collected river water, but that was something I have only had to do once in all my Caminos.

in Oct.Nov - we used collapsible drinking water bottles with drinking tube. ( used Platypus brand) . carried on outside of pack in the side pouches.

Advantages:
in heat- take small sips more frequently without needing to pause to get a bottle - drank more that way so stay hydrated ( yes- we still took breaks,!)
In high rain & wind- can drink from the tube without needing to remove layers ( just ensure have tube end up close to access)
Good for environment- no need to buy more plastic or other bottles.
Longevity- have used many time before for multi day hikes, during the Camino & will use again after
Light & Collapsible- fold up small & refill as our water bottle for flights

Method:
One bottle with tube, the other with lid ( so can drink from like a bottle)
Took some baby bottle steriliser tablets & soaked 3 times thoughout the journey.Probably unnecessary, as were flushing with water all day, but more for my own over cautious nurse brain !
Except for a few days where longer distances between water source, we Did not need to fill them right up, as no need to carry 2 litres.

Last edited:

€60,-
in Oct.Nov - we used collapsible drinking water bottles with drinking tube. ( used Platypus brand) . carried on outside of pack in the side pouches
I used a similar bottle and tube system on my first Camino in August/September 2016. It got too hot in the outside pocket of my backpack, so I carried it inside my backpack to keep it cooler. I then realized that I basically had the same thing as a water bladder. Since then I've carried a 2 liter water bladder (usually not full) on Camino along with a small bottle with maybe 250 ml in it for emergencies.

I only buy water occasionally and that would be fizzy water out of the fridge. They say fizzy water is absorbed quicker, or my wife says it and who am I to disagree.
Welcome to the club. I don't need Google. My wife knows everything.

I do the same as you regarding water. 2 bottles, one on each outside of backpack. Wife knows these things.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's bottles for me.
I HATE how warm the water in a bladder gets.
Give me cold fountain water instead and there are fountains all the way from SJPP to Santiago.

€60,-
Water from my metal bottles stays cold and tastes great.
Put me in the group that stops, takes off the pack, drinks and rests for a few minutes.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back