• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Early September Camino--silk liner only?

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
I walked from SJPP to Santiago beginning in early September and I remember the evenings being quite warm until Leon. Then the weather began to change and Galacia was wet and cold. I took a 300 wt fleece blanket cut smaller (weighed less than a sleeping bag and was easily washable) and used that with my silk liner when I got cold. It worked fine for me and there were a number of places that did not have blankets (plus with bedbug scares I'm not too inclined to want them). I am thinking that walking the Portuguese from Sept 9-22nd that I might not need the fleece? What weather/temps did you encounter in September? Just 11 weeks to go!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a lightweight jacket, like a windbreaker, and my poncho. With silk underwear, a T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, jacket, and poncho, no fleece is necessary for warmth, on the trail or indoors. My fleece is nice and toasty, but it is a few ounces I can do without. Bed bugs have no respect except for poison, so don't expect them to avoid anything that you bring unless it is permethrin-treated! Albergue blankets are no more or less infested than the rest of the place -- bunk bed, mattress, walls, paneling, etc., so are not worth avoiding on that basis. I found the moisture in the blankets more offensive than the bugs.

I would also like opinions on this as I'm trying to figure out what type of silk liner to buy, if there's a difference?

Also, after seeing the second reply, should we be treating all our clothes/materials that we take to prevent bed bugs getting in them? If so, how do we go about doing this?

I was thinking of just taking a windbreaker/North Face jacket for rain, if any, and forgetting the fleecy, but still concerned about the evenings.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum