• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese Starting Week In September

Dennis M

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015 - Camino Ingles; Future Caminho Portuguése, Camino de Fisterra
Hello,

As I plan my Camino Portuguese starting from Valenca, Portugal in September next year, I have a few questions.

1) Which is better start week? Start on 2nd week or 3rd week of September?
2) What are the pros and cons of starting week? Weather, albergue, cafes, and number of pilgrims

Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You should start on the second week of September. The weather will be perfect. All the Albergues will be very comfortable, the cafes will be charming and welcoming and there will be just the right number of friendly fellow pilgrims to make the whole experience wonderful.

On the third week of September there might be people like me 😳

You should start on the second week of September. The weather will be perfect. All the Albergues will be very comfortable, the cafes will be charming and welcoming and there will be just the right number of friendly fellow pilgrims to make the whole experience wonderful.

On the third week of September there might be people like me 😳
Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll start planning (look around for airfare) for 2nd week then & I’m also hoping to see you even it’s only on the 2nd week.

Take care.

Best regards, Dennis

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll start planning (look around for airfare) for 2nd week then & I’m also hoping to see you even it’s only on the 2nd week.

Take care.

Best regards, Dennis
Hi Dennis

From your reply, I can't tell if you picked up on the humour (sarcasm?) of the reply from @Tincatinker If you did, yours was a perfect response. And, in any case, a gracious one.

Lots of people on the forum ask questions which seem a bit obvious to others and/or are not possible to answer. But I'll give it a try. I can't think of any reason for you to favour or compare the second week of September over the third. September is a popular time on the most travelled routes. There will be pilgrims in both weeks. Albergues and cafes will be open. People often ask about weather on the forum - but it's impossible to predict the weather in September 2024, let alone the second vs third week. September is popular for a reason, and one of those is the weather - usually neither too hot nor too cold, nor too wet. But who knows.

Also, you can find plenty of information on the forum about the route you want to walk. Spend some time browsing and using the search function.

I'm only adding my comments as you are looking around for airfares. I recommend you don't be concerned about whether it's the second or the third week, just take the dates and deal that suit you best

Best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only adding my comments as you are looking around for airfares. I recommend you don't be concerned about whether it's the second or the third week, just take the dates and deal that suit you best
I agree with Pelerina ;find the best deal and go with it!!
You will find good people whatever time you walk.
Regarding the weather i would say like others it's impossible to give a definitive answer.
However i walked in 2021 and was there from 17th Sept till 13th Oct temps in the region of 20 to 27 C ( mornings were a bit chillier) had one day of rain!
But i think i remember someone posting that in 2019 -20 somewhere on the route in Galicia they had snow and 2C temps.
Once you have booked your flights just roll with it you can't change the weather; if it rains smile and keep telling yourself you love the rain.
Buen Camino
Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked from Porto on the Camino Portugués Central & Variante Espiritual from September 1st to 15th, 2022. In both weeks, I had a mix of rain (sometimes even heavy rain) and sunshine, often both within one day. Temperatures were quite nice for walking, in the lower 20s Celsius.

Hello,

As I plan my Camino Portuguese starting from Valenca, Portugal in September next year, I have a few questions.

1) Which is better start week? Start on 2nd week or 3rd week of September?
2) What are the pros and cons of starting week? Weather, albergue, cafes, and number of pilgrims

Thank you.
Hola, we started at the beginning of the third week in September this year and it was very hot. Towards the end of the week we had a day of drizzle and light rain showers, which we regarded as a blessing from the heat. We are used to much more rain than that here in the north east of England!

There shouldn't be much difference between the 2nd and 3rd week of September. Go when it's convenient for you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for all the input. Much appreciated

There shouldn't be much difference between the 2nd and 3rd week of September. Go when it's convenient for you.
Hi Dennis

From your reply, I can't tell if you picked up on the humour (sarcasm?) of the reply from @Tincatinker If you did, yours was a perfect response. And, in any case, a gracious one.

Lots of people on the forum ask questions which seem a bit obvious to others and/or are not possible to answer. But I'll give it a try. I can't think of any reason for you to favour or compare the second week of September over the third. September is a popular time on the most travelled routes. There will be pilgrims in both weeks. Albergues and cafes will be open. People often ask about weather on the forum - but it's impossible to predict the weather in September 2024, let alone the second vs third week. September is popular for a reason, and one of those is the weather - usually neither too hot nor too cold, nor too wet. But who knows.

Also, you can find plenty of information on the forum about the route you want to walk. Spend some time browsing and using the search function.

Best wishes
Thank you.
Hi Dennis

Best wishes
I may have slightly picked up what @Tincatinker may have meant 😀.

Thank you for your response. Have a fantastic day!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back