• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easy stopping points 7-10 days from Le Puy?

Time of past OR future Camino
Not sure what's next
I'm planning to walk the Via Podiensis in a month or two, and my father may join me for the first 7-10 days of the chemin before he returns to the USA. So I would like to guide him to an easy exit point about a week into the walk. Considerations:
  • We will probably walk 20-25km per day.
  • My father speaks almost no French, so I want to keep his return path to the US simple.
Studying the SNCF rail maps, I see train stations in Aumont-Aubrac (90km from Le Puy) and Figeac (250km from Le Puy). These seem the obvious exit points, but one is a bit too near Le Puy and the other too far. I think the ideal distance would be 150-200km, putting us near Espalion to Conques.

Does anyone know of an easy way to get from Espalion or Conques to an international airport (Paris, Lyon, Marseille)?

Merci beaucoup!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning to walk the Via Podiensis in a month or two, and my father may join me for the first 7-10 days of the chemin before he returns to the USA. So I would like to guide him to an easy exit point about a week into the walk. Considerations:
  • We will probably walk 20-25km per day.
  • My father speaks almost no French, so I want to keep his return path to the US simple.
Studying the SNCF rail maps, I see train stations in Aumont-Aubrac (90km from Le Puy) and Figeac (250km from Le Puy). These seem the obvious exit points, but one is a bit too near Le Puy and the other too far. I think the ideal distance would be 150-200km, putting us near Espalion to Conques.

Does anyone know of an easy way to get from Espalion or Conques to an international airport (Paris, Lyon, Marseille)?

Merci beaucoup!
the La Malle Postale shuttle will also take you / your dad back to Le Puy ... another option might be [if you are closer to Conques] is to take the local bus to Rodez which is an important railway junction and from where your father can take the train to Paris. I have in mind there is also a local bus from Espalion to Rodez [cost is just €2] ...

p.s. bus route number is 201 from Espalion and the journey is just 36 minutes!

In many ways this may be your dad’s best option as the connection to the train is inexpensive and quick 😊

Since your father does not speak French, he might find it less stressful to take the Compostelle bus or Malle Postale from Conques back to Le Puy. I had a friend who tried to go back to Paris from Espalion via the bus to Rodez, and she had a very confusing experience beginning with a sudden change in bus schedules and more. Sign language and a French person who spoke English helped her.

I also recommend the compostelle bus.

If your father has arrived via LePuy, it will be the easiest way to go back the same way. That bus operates all the way from Le Puy to Conques and stops in most stage towns inbetween.

I've used that bus a few times. In the opposite direction, but it was reliable and not complicated.

Bon chemin!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks to @BlackRocker57 @TaijiPilgrim and @good_old_shoes for your thoughts. I think taking the bus back to Le Puy is a very good option; because the bus makes so many intermediate stops between Conques and Le Puy, we will have flexibility about how far we walk during his time in France.

And since my father has discovered this thread, I would like to make clear that he is an excellent traveler! But nonetheless I wish to prepare him a smooth and enjoyable return journey. 😜

In April I walked with a friend who could only be away for a week, when we got to Saint Côme d’Olt late morning she took a taxi (arranged the evening before) to Rodez, and from there she took a train to Toulouse (she was flying home from there the next day). Low-stress as she spoke little French.

The little bus back to Le Puy sounds like a winning solution.

Just fyi, there is a train station in Decazeville, which is on the route, a day’s walk past Conques.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm writing from Aire sur l'Adour to follow up -- my father took the Compostelle bus from Conques back to Le Puy, which provided an easy transfer to the train station there. He enjoyed revisiting our walk in reverse out the window. The La Malle Postale van would have provided similar service (or the Transports Claudine van after Cahors).

Our thanks to those who offered suggestions!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back