• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ebro route question re Sant Carles de la Rapita & day 1

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago 2012-13; +++; Somport-Burgos 2023
According to all of the sources I’ve seen (gronze, various threads, maps, wikitracks), day 1 of the Camino Ebro takes you southwest from Deltebre to Sant Carles de la Rapita (20 km), and day 2 takes you north-northwest towards Tortosa after passing through Amposta (at about 12 km).

Meanwhile there is a bike/walking trail that follows the river from Deltebre to Amposta (15km) in a more direct westerly direction.

What is special about Sant Carles de la Rapita that makes it worth going those extra 17 km?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nothing. I used to work in Catalunya for some years as a sales representative and had some customers in this deserted most southern part of Catalunya
it is an area with hundreds of irrigation canals for agricultural purposes and has nothing special to offer.
San Carlos de la Rápita is small place at the coast with a beach and a small harbour .
Better start in Amposta .

Thanks Albertinho.

I just re-watched the video in this thread and noted they walked directly from Deltebre to Amposta on that footpath.

I found in one of @alansykes threads of his walk of this camino, that Sant Jaume d’Enveja was noted for being the place Santiago departed from when he sailed back to Jerusalem. I’m hoping he sees this thread and if he has a different opinion about Sant Carles de la Rapita, he’ll comment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, we walked directly from Deltebre to Amposta along the river. Nice footpath. We did because that was a better way to get good distances the first days. I always try to plan for short distances the first days of a camino. Goog luck with your planning!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.