• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experience with Cycling-Rentals

ChicagoDennis

I have very recently arranged my flights to Spain in order to bike the camino. I will be starting from Pamplona in mid-April and ending in Santiago at the end of April. I have been in contact with a company called Cycling-Rentals that will arrange for a bicycle to shipped to my lodging in Pamplona and picked up 12 days later at my lodging in Santiago. The representative from this company has been very responsive to my email inquiries, and the total cost is approximately 200 euros...with some extras.

Does anyone have experience with this company and the quality of their bikes?

Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to stay in Pamplona my first night? I will be jet-lagged from my flight and will need a good night's sleep before taking off on my adventure. I would prefer a single room close to the camino.

Finally, should I try to get my Passport in advance here in the US or can I pick it up easily and quickly in Pamplona?

I have tried to reach Tournride, as well, to compare pricing, but their website does currently allow me to choose a bike. Thank you for any information.
Chicago Dennis

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi CD

Have you thought of buying a bike in a supermarket and selling it at the end or giving it away?

It will work out cheaper. I've seen many lowpriced bikes like this.

Just a thought.

Look for "hotel" on a Google map of Pamplona, and lots of choices will appear for about 30 Euro per night. Other threads in the Forum speak to rooms in Pamplona. Search for them, if you like. You can get a credential at the cathedral in Pamplona any time the office is open, which is mornings and afternoons. You can get one from the American Friends of the Camino before you leave, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Caminando said:
Hi CD

Have you thought of buying a bike in a supermarket and selling it at the end or giving it away?

Just a thought.

Interesting idea. Any idea how much it would cost to buy a mountain bike as you suggest?

Caminando said:
Hi CD

Just a thought.

Don't even think about it. I've worked as a bike mechanic, and I pretty much end up fixing someone's bike every day on the Camino. Those cheap bikes are guaranteed to breakdown and are really hasrd to fix. Bring a good bike, or rent a decent bike (which I understand the rental companies are providing), but avoid those heavy, flimsy chain store bikes like the a plague of bedbugs.

newfydog said:
Caminando said:

Don't even think about it. I've worked as a bike mechanic, and I pretty much end up fixing someone's bike every day on the Camino. Those cheap bikes are guaranteed to breakdown and are really hasrd to fix. Bring a good bike, or rent a decent bike (which I understand the rental companies are providing), but avoid those heavy, flimsy chain store bikes like the a plague of bedbugs.

Yeah, that was my thought. Thanks for the confirmation. I spend enough time as it is fixing my Specialized FSR Comp. Can't imagine a Murray going 500 miles without major frustration :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I feel your pain. The bike rental prices for SdeC self-guided touring from the big operators are crazy expensive! eg. bikeiberia and bikespain. We're departing on the camino at about the same time you are but, taking longer to do it. I've been researching prices etc. for 6 months. Since we're looking for a tandem... 805 euros ($1046.) is about the going rate for 1 month. Tournride's 13 day SdeC pack for 13 days for 243 euros (about $300) for a regular, one-person bicycle sounds good in comparison!

We've been through the same stuff you have probably... calculating air transport prices for bringing and returning with our own bikes, buying a bike and the equipment (panniers etc.), taking a scooter or motorcycle ($1500--$2000 for the month), a bus!? ...even walking!? We're stuck too.

So, what have your decided to do? Rental and Pammplona hotel?

How did this company Cycling-Rentals work out with your bike renting experience? Would you recommend them as a reliable company?

How did this company Cycling-Rentals work out with your bike renting experience? Would you recommend them as a reliable company?
Julie, I used Bike Iberia. Good bikes, very helpful staff, delivery and pickup. Wished I would have rented a women's bike for my wife, which bikeiberia offers. My wife had a very bad knee and had trouble getting on the bike at times for the high bar and all the gear on back rack. I found that renting was cheaper than taking my own bike. I also did not have to worry about boxing bike for travel or looking for a place to box for the return trip. If you have a nice broken in saddle like a Brooks...take it with you. Enjoy your trip. (12 days biking plus a days rest in a very nice place in Burgos and Leon, 14 days total May/June 2012; warn walkers you are behind them and wish them Buen Camino).

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
This is an older thread - but i wanted to ping the forum once again... My 16y/0 daughter and I depart for Bordeaux on the 3rd of June and we return from Madrid on the 23rd.

We are walking - not doubts about that - but I had an epiphany tonight --- WHY NOT rent a bike in Pamplona - continue on to somewhere in Galacia - and walk the rest of the way home....

I found Cycling Rentals ( http://www.cycling-rentals.com/camino-7-day-pro-touring-pack.html#.U2hs6sdIBcA ) with a quick easy google search - and 187 euro's for a 7 day rental.

What has the experience been with renting bikes on the Camino? I am thinking the flat land area from Pamplona to Astorga would be great to just breeze through on a bike - instead of skipping major sections on a city bus or train....

ALL input welcomed - we are looking to do the entire journey by foot and bike now.

Buen Camino!

Frank

There really isn't that much flat from Pamplona to Astorga----- lots of tough, choppy hills. It is some of my favorite biking

Agree with the above, just cycled same yesterday, challenging but great, Astorga to ponferrada another storey, up up up all the way but the downhill great

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
. I got two flats in two days.

!

Sounds like they have crappy tires. On the Frances, we've had one flat in 70 bike days. We use light but high quality mtb tires with no special tubes or puncture preventer strip.

Most read last week in this forum

To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
Good morning, In summer I am going to cycle the Camino de Santiago from Harburgo to Santiago. I need help to find the list of youth hostels or accommodation in this route. The numbers from 1 are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back