• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Extra preparations?

Choweth

I know there have been deaths on the camino over the years. Some natural causes, some caused by ignorance, some accidental. Before you leave/left for your pilgrimage, are/did you make preparations in the case of your death (such as a living will)? Just curious to see who's thought about it or done it.

{Candace, Texas, USA)
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-
KIK: candacehoweth91

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Somewhere I've seen statistics on Camino deaths. Yes they occur, but for as much attention as they may get, the "lost in a fog" type deaths are really uncommon. Most are of heart ailments and natural causes that very likely would have occurred regardless of whether the people were on Camino or sitting on that Lazy Boy chair at home.

In terms of a living will or other preparation, Camino or no Camino that might be a good idea for everyone to think about.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We always have a will made out with provision for the children. When we have travelled as a family we have also had a plan in place with a friend who was willing at a moment's notice to come to wherever we were (should hubby and I both be killed) and bring the children home. Needless to say, these are very special friends!
BTW, travel insurance is a no-brainer for us too.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
We aren't making any provisions beyond what we have normally. I don't think the camino is any more dangerous than normal life.

I got a full physical check up from my Dr., just to make sure my health was in proper form. Outside of that, there isn't too much you can do.

Most read last week in this forum