• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer to complete the walk

pcurtin

Good morning everyone
My name is Peter from Australia, Im 63 and plan to retire from work in 2 years, the date of my last day will probably be in May 2012, then off for the adventure of a lifestyle. Before I start this "walk" one needs to fit phyically and mentally, I think I can fit both.
I need to lose 20kgs before I start and I believe I will lose nealry the same of the 3 month period I will be walking, and hoping to fix my type 2 and weight all in one.
I have one son who will be living in Geneva by then and my plan is to travel from Australia to Rome, then train to Geneva, stay a few days with my son and his wife, then train from Geneva to Le Puy, few days in Le Puy, then off to St Jean, looking at 35-40 days in walking.
On reaching St Jean plan to stay a few days to look around then off to Santiago, once again 35-40 days.
My walk is to raise money for the PARKINSON FOUNDATION here in Victoria, and its my plan to have 300 sponsors at 10c km in me reaching my distination from Le Puy to Santiago.
I have walked the mountains in Nepal, Great Wall of China (not the tourist section).
My time now until 2012 will be planning get really fit, boxing sessions twice per week, 3 walks of 30mins, building up to 1-2 hours, then 3-6 hours, then 8-10 hours once Im fit, well that's the plan.
My motivation is to complete this walk, to raise money for the Parkinson Foundation, to fix my weight and type 2 problems and enjoy meeting many people as I can.
I have most the gear now, 2-man tent, bags, poles, boots etc.
Im travelling by myself and if anyone is looking for a partner - peter.curtin1947@hotmai.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Peter, welcome aboard! Your reason for doing the walk is terrific, and will certainly help get you over the tough parts. It amazes me how doing for someone else will keep me at something I might otherwise walk (or cycle!) away from if left to my own. Sounds like you've already got some pretty good experience, but keep surfing thru the forum as there is and absolutely amazing wealth of information and advice from some incredible people.

Wishing you the very best,
Buen Camino,
Karin

That's a lot of great reasons to walk the Camino! And it sounds like you're starting to prepare well in advance.

You mentioned a tent - are you planning on camping instead of staying in hostels?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the reply, my email address was wrong, peter.curtin1947@hotmail.com
I still work at present, retiring in 2012, then off on this amazing walk.
Already have 4 sponsors, only 296 to go, this site is excellent wealth of info will surely help, if your are motivated and have great attitude of mind, this walk will be easy (well not really, Im sure you all understand what I mean). I have started my trained with 2 sessions of bxing for 90 mins and 2-3 walk a week with round of golf thrown in for good measure.
I hope to stay in touch with everyone
many thanks
Peter

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back