• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Algeciras - Cadiz - Jerez - Sevilla

Delphinoula

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C.Franconia 2019 C.Algeciras Sevillia 2019
Swabian C. (2020)
Has anybody walked from there to Cadiz?
My first leg would be from Algeciras to Cadiz at Eastern..
Anything I should not miss?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I understand you are going on foot, right?

You have the so called "camino del estrecho". All I can say is, Cádiz is a blessed place on Earth.

I have seen some very vague information here

I believe it is called "Camino del Estrecho". I know a few stretches, but I would use "wikiloc.com" for more accurate reference.

Algeciras-Tarifa

you can go all the way along the coast, I believe, but if you discover the cork oak mountain forests with holly, ferns and rain forests you would be shocked. I would go over Botafuego to Garganta del Capitán, Las Corzas, the youth hostel Inturjoven in El Bujeo, then down to the coast and follow the stunning coast to Tarifa along the Flysch geological rocks, with Africa just at a stone throw, over Guadalmesí river and onto Tarifa.

Tarifa - Bolonia

is a stretch you can do walking on the beach, you will find some bar open along the way, thousands of surfers and the cleanest sand in the world. You might find some rocky outcrops much easier to manage on low tide (and good waves). In Bolonia you will find restaurants, bars and some amazing Roman ruins.

Bolonia-Zahara de los Atunes

you can climb the massive dune west of Bolonia and walk along the beach, the cliffs, the Cañuelo forest and beach, up the lighthouse of Camarinal, the posh Alemanes cove, Atlanterra residential area, then 4 km of pristine beach.

I believe from Bolonia onwards there is another variant that goes over Facinas and the Janda flats.

Zahara de los Atunes - Barbate

Along the beach again, some 8 km along virgin beaches, to Barbate. No bars along the beach, though, in fact it is a military area and might be banned to public access at rare teams

Barbate-Los caños de Meca

Past Barbate, a fabulous walk among pine trees over mid height cliffs.

Los Caños-Trafalgar-Zahora-Conil

Pure beach walk, sandy all the way, a couple of bars along the way. Conil is a nice little town

Conil - Chiclana

Cliffs, pine tree forest, no more beach walk.

Chiclana -Sancti Petri-Cadiz

pine trees, no more beach walk too many cliffs, and lots of tarmac as you approach the jewel that Cadiz city is.

Thank you.
Yes I will be walking.
I read some of the descriptions from the local Camino societicy and some news paper articles.
I habe been to Taifa for the ferry to Tangier and found the little city interesting.
I am looking forward to the archaeological sites of Bolonia and the dune. I will ask if this one is save to walk across and if there are marked paths for nature protection. Surfer paradise. Do you surf yourself? Is it wind surfing? And can you rent a board In Zahara ? Are schools out in Spain over Eastern and how long?
Thank you again. Your answer are so invaluable, since you are somewhat local or almost.😀

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Delphinoula, we have done the route between Algeciras and Cádiz twice, once walking and once cycling. I would second all the advice given by Amancio above, especially about the high route above Algeciras through El Bujeo and the part through Bolonia.
Have fun planning!

Last edited:
Delphinoula, we have done the route between Algeciras and Cádiz twice, once walking and once cycling. I would second all the advice given by Amancio above, especially about the high route above Algeciras through El Bujeo and the part through Bolonia.
Have fun planning!
Thank you so much. I’ll look it up right away

It’s nice to see that the way I was looking up n Google maps are actually real roads or paths to follow. 🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi getting now soon on the road. Four more days. Any last minutes advice?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From Jerez Airport to center of town only Taxi available without having to wait 4 hours. Shared one with a nice Lady going to Cadiz so it was 10 Euro instead of 19.40. 55445Took a Bus to Algeciras for 10.45. So versus 95 Euro Taxi not a bad deal. Bus ride was through the very green Natur park while the busdriver was listening to flamenco. So we joddeled through Spain and I got a show inclusive. In Algeciras I went to the High Place plaza Alta. Saw the start of my Camino. But all the churches are closed today. Go figure. 5544655447 walked through downtown got a stamp at a bar. Ate couscous with great mint tea. And sitting now watching the habour. Great sweets too i guess the arabic influence. Had some very convincing gentlemen tried to sell me ticket to Marokko and I showed then I rather walk than he made the swimming movement and I nodded. Total stangers allmost 0 language and we had a ball laughing.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Left in morning original plan was to overnight in Pelayo. But no beds. I took the bus out the buisy city and I am glad I did. According to the signes it was from there to Tarifa 26 km defacto with checking the town out I walked ed 34 ks. I am nomore used to this. The nature park was so diverse and blooming and wonderful. They have cow gates one time so short and narrow i had to take my gear off and go sideways. 55569Afrika5557155572 After that tower the European walking way turns into a goat path and my vertigo kicked in. I guess when the going gets tough the though.....

After that tower the European walking way turns into a goat path and my vertigo kicked in.
That's a beautiful shot of the tower, Delphinoula. Thanks for taking the time to post. Looks like you had perfect weather. The day we were there, it was cold and rainy.

You must be seeing a lot of traffic going through the Strait of Gibralter. If you want to be able to identify the ships passing by, the app MarineTraffic will tell you the ship's name, where it left from, what it is carrying, how many days it is out for, and what port it is headed for.

That's a beautiful shot of the tower, Delphinoula. Thanks for taking the time to post. Looks like you had perfect weather. The day we were there, it was cold and rainy.

You must be seeing a lot of traffic going through the Strait of Gibralter. If you want to be able to identify the ships passing by, the app MarineTraffic will tell you the ship's name, where it left from, what it is carrying, how many days it is out for, and what port it is headed for.
Thank you for your reply. I have heard from the kitesurfers here no wind for 3 days. I was wondering about those cargo ships. Now I can see more.

Tarifa is such a lovely little town busteling with live.my hostal had many kitesurfers as guest and it was a carefree island mood. I went early to bed and I shared the dorm with young more or more tipsy guys.
It was funny how they tried not to wake me up. It made me smile so much consideration.55634

Through sweet smelling field towards Bolonia. 55635. Then a breakfast for incredible 2.50 coffee toast tomatoes and as the farmers from the next table showed me some pork spread
55636again some very wild free laying dogs.IMG_20190421_102326.jpg

Last edited:
Bolonia definitely worth it.non EU member pay 1.50 all others free entrace. But of course you can always donate if you like. The lady at the entrance was so nice to watch my pack . 55638in the back you see the dune. Continued toward Zahara. Now I know why there is no costal walk. It"s partly an exercise area. But if you follow the red and white stripes they guide you to truely impressive stone formations55639to a light tower. Safty first the guardia civil is patroling the area. Maybe bored. Then through villas and, nice cove to the Zahara beach area. 55640the European hike rout leads you now down to the beach.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
55641. While I was debating with myself if I should take of and walk in the sand. The decision was taken from me
An enormous wave came in. Could run away fast enough got so soaked boots cloths amd parts of the bag. Just great now I am part of the flip flop walkers. Hey was only 4 more ks while my wet boot dangeling from the pack kicked me every step. God must have been laughing realy hard. No pics from that.

Aren't the Roman ruins at Bolonia great?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's report and photos. Hope your boots dry overnight!
Elaine

I loved them. I almost saw the old Romans walking the streets. Do you what kind of a tree this is?

Last edited:
Zahara is a smalish town with an old fortification.

My first wild falcon.

They have a Market hall dedicated to the tuna as well. Get coffee here only locals no tourists and you get a con Leche fpr 1 Euro.
If you like to walk along the beach be aware that there is a river, s mouth very marshy. Full of wild fowl.IMG_20190422_084123.jpg

Last edited:
Had a stroke of luck. In Barbate fairly midsized town I sought refuge from the rain in an Aldi and got new inlets for my boots. The old ones did not survive the bath.Its funny how a given of yesterday(dry boots) become a blessing when they dry again.
55714Near the Tourist office where i got my stamp.
I followed the scenic rout along the outside harbour wall ;). But found local water hole called little fisherman with real fair. If only I had not picnicked earlier.
Now comes so far the most beautiful part the walk on the cliffs to Canos de Mekka when you start in the wetlands at the second boardwalk to the sea I went up the hill otherwise I would have the bottom of the cliffs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
55720In the distance you see whete I came from.
Walking throug lavender fields all Iwild. 55721
Love those Umbrella pines. Know now why the Romans settle here looks just like Italy.
Yes it is Trafalgar cap. Great

Do you what kind of a tree this is?
I'm not sure on that tree, but there is an app called PlantSnap that might help when you want to identify the next tree or flower. We started using it at the end of our last trip and really liked it. You take a photo of the plant and within seconds the app suggests a name. It has almost 600,000 species in its database.

I'm glad you got new insoles! The sky looks a bit threatening in your photos and the weather forecast says showers for a few days to come, so dry shoes will be a luxury.

The map showing the GR's in the area is quite interesting. I'm going to look those up now and see what topoguides are available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not sure on that tree, but there is an app called PlantSnap that might help when you want to identify the next tree or flower. We started using it at the end of our last trip and really liked it. You take a photo of the plant and within seconds the app suggests a name. It has almost 600,000 species in its database.

I'm glad you got new insoles! The sky looks a bit threatening in your photos and the weather forecast says showers for a few days to come, so dry shoes will be a luxury.

The map showing the GR's in the area is quite interesting. I'm going to look those up now and see what topoguides are available.
Snap works realy great so much fun. I only know the common name of some. Do you know one for birds and butterfly/moths?

IMG_20190423_180305.jpgIMG_20190423_180339.jpg
Got up early to see the sun rise on Trafalgar bay and make a picture. It was raining so hard did almost miss the surf line. So no sun rise no pic. Helped me with my decission to walk inland thought the river mouth may be an obstacle. So some foliage instead.

Last edited:
In Conil decided on a rest day. Pretty town. Took Williams recommendation and went to Vejer up in the hill such a picturesque town. Love itIMG_20190423_120257.jpg
Conil sunlight
IMG_20190423_111015.jpg
River Sejo?

Vejer
had a nice conversation with a couple of Manchester. Almost missed my bus.
While the busses may come and leave early That bus came both times late. I will never complain about tardiness. I just made the bus both times. How lucky am I. Well it did not sit well with some German compadres.. but I took the wind out of his sail: Still faster than walking. IMG_20190423_140112.jpg
It looks a lot like the old town in Tangier. IMG_20190423_141550.jpg
I am an artist ha you see only sun. While I get wet. Readindg recommendation: Idefonso Falcones: The hand of Fatima. It’s about the Arabs after the last Califat has fallen.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_141813.jpg
    IMG_20190423_141813.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190423_151301.jpg
    IMG_20190423_151301.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
IMG_20190423_195651.jpg
Last look on Trafalgar Bay?

Do you know one for birds and butterfly/moths?
Sadly, I don't of any apps for birds or butterflies, but maybe someone else will chip in.
Loved the photo of the fountain in Vejar. A friend took us to see the restored windmill on the edge of town, and the guide gave a great demonstration of how they ground flour there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes Yes Yes.

Needed another rest day. So I skipped to Cadiz walked along the beach.

It was a good decission since dense populatated an industrial is not so much my thing.
Found a great physiotherapist, who told me what I allready knew and didn't want to hear.
I got to stress my knee less if I want to continue.

He did wonders and I taped the knee.So my next stop was Stantiago church next to the cathedral. IMG_20190424_115554.jpg
The custos was very nice. From here the Augusta starts but I came in that way.IMG_20190425_102000.jpg
IMG_20190424_115525.jpgIMG_20190424_182858.jpgIMG_20190424_183421.jpg
In Cadiz they have the original finds from Bolonia. Got in the Museum in for free.
Cadiz has everything you may need to replenish.
Here a view on there fabulous bridge which can open up. Unfortunately only wheeled traffic permitted.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To shorten my walk a couple of km I started in between Puerto Real and Puerto di Santa Maria.
Like I was told they done a nice job marking it along the way in I saw a Nina rebuilt? IMG_20190425_103139.jpg
Then I was told that Gaballeros was not the horse stable for the bull fighting ring. but a vinery. Lol I it means Knights but I am a bit daft.
Then my Spanish must have completely broken down. because when asking for a stamp they told me to wait it was not lunch time yet.
A bit flabbergasted I waited to find out they took me for homeless.
So I went to the Tourist ist Information where I got my stamp. Restroom a bit in front of them in the former Augustin cloister. Very nice and clean.
IMG_20190425_111348.jpgIMG_20190425_111033.jpgIMG_20190425_112834.jpgIMG_20190425_105131.jpg

Last edited:
You follow the yellow arrows this is the last time before Jerez for provisions and water
And then restooms only al fresco.
Up the hill pass an abandoned Farmhouse that looks like a juvenile party place.IMG_20190425_141158.jpg
There you see it in the back. On the other side you have good look on Cadiz Bay.

Last edited:
Then all alo g the highway luckily not so buisy but still loud.
IMG_20190425_141223.jpgIMG_20190425_145241.jpgIMG_20190425_151544.jpg
May some one knows what kind of gritter that was look a bit like an ant queen. With those warning stripes telling me to look somewhere else for a Snack.

Last edited:
In Jerez the Tourist Information stamp is not readable but the cathedrale one is nice.
Did not make it to the St. JAMES CHURCH. IMG_20190425_163320.jpgIMG_20190425_164700.jpgIMG_20190425_170055.jpgIMG_20190425_171451.jpg

Last edited:
From Jerez I went on the wrong side of the airport and walked for a while along the canals until I joint N 4 which was buisy but not too much. You saw the ondulating hills old farms vineyard and sunfloer fields. In Summer must be quite impressive..
Ill ad some pics later.
No Wifi
Stay in the parroquial room. No more sheets and towels, but hot water. Previous pilgrims left crumps so I cleaned shower toilet and bedroom with broom and mopped it. So to say thank you.
On the way up here I saw many enthusiatics thumps up and ollas. It made me feel good. IMG_20190426_155404.jpgIMG_20190426_145206.jpgIMG_20190426_115103.jpg

Last edited:
Next to the church is a clarel a kind of drug store. They have 5 l water there for 49 cents. And travel size toiletries in case you need it..
Acros the Algarabia Bar serves a menu del dia with selection of first i took the lentil seconds great fried little fish a beer with olives bread and desert ice cream for a total of 8 Euros.
I had a hunch since large Spanish families were eating here.
Now I got a key to lock myself in seem to be the only pilgrim..
So I guess you are my amigos del Camino.

€46,-
IMG_20190427_081301.jpg

Lovely walk out of town along the road on a field way. Not much traffic. Arrived in Lebrija in no time. So I watched Mari.
IMG_20190427_110030.jpg
She stays buisy, and treaded me to some.

Went to the impressive church but both padres had to go to Mama for lunch. So no stamp we are closed.
If nothing if not flexible got one at the local bar they serve real large shikebab on for 14 Euros and two for the same price.
Too much for me - their tapas were good too.
It's right at the little fountain place.
MediIMG_20190427_143227.jpgIMG_20190427_144626.jpgIMG_20190427_152929.jpgeval ruins and a church up on top which good not hide her Mourish influences.

May some one knows what kind of gritter that was look a bit like an ant queen. With those warning stripes telling me to look somewhere else for a Snack.
I think the bug is a Berbermeloe majalis, a black and red lined blister beetle. They produce cantharidin, a strong poison comparable to cyanide and strychnine in toxicity. The cantharidin is stored in the insects' blood and remains toxic after the beetles die, so if they get ground up in animal feed, it can poison even large animals like horses. Not worth trying to pick one of those up!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well thank you still fascinating. Good that I was not that hungry. We say traveling educates.

Left Lebrija at sun rise and followrd the signes. IMG_20190428_083949.jpgIMG_20190428_085604.jpgIMG_20190428_091523.jpg
Even grain needs to be watered.

The last part was not well marked you could see the town but which one to go since from dryness wind and rain they all looked alike.
There comes a farmer a d by the time he tries to explain he gives up and takes me the last step into town.
It that nice or is that nice.?
Its hot and 2 l water is good to take.IMG_20190428_114951.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Las cabezas de San Juan is a welcoming. On the main place a lot of families are having an outing and little girls in their communion dresses look like little brides. Proud Papas and buisy Mamas. IMG_20190428_122523.jpg
In the back is the hostal I am staying tout comfort great view on the city
IMG-20190428-WA0005.jpegIMG_20190428_150557.jpgIMG_20190428_150455.jpg

Last edited:
Canals and dirt road plus dawn did not agree with me. So what to do.Decided to track back to the train station which is about 5 km out of town and take a train to Utrera.IMG_20190429_072912.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure there was no canal monster lurking but had not a good feeling. I am a bit disheartened and I know 32 to 35 km is to much in the heat for me.... Still
So this town awaits me.

Old punic castle that was closed, but the gardeners let me have a look.

Never thought Scipio's cetero censeo.... Where he recommends the destructipn of Karthago meant so far out
Hannibal had ordered to built this castle the Moors kept them and then the Christian.
IMG_20190429_105422.jpg

Santiago keeps watch over the City. IMG_20190429_151333.jpgIMG_20190429_151333.jpgIMG_20190429_113447.jpgIMG_20190429_113643.jpgIMG_20190429_114145.jpgIMG_20190429_102006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_095902.jpg
    IMG_20190429_095902.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Had not make my mind up which way to go. So far met two pilgrims in Las cabezas. So one of them very well organized sat down and helped me debunk the Spanish instructions. How to get out of Utrera.
If you know it its easy.
You walk in direction of Sevilla on the big avenida where the Burgerking is. At Burgerking you take a right.... Ltata the markings appear. IMG_20190430_174934.jpg

I am glad I choose Alcala.
Before Burgerking there are couple of Caffès. If you to early for them their is a 24 gad station with a bar. The lat oportunity for restroom and Coffein.

First you pass a industrial size bakery and the streets smells like fresh bread..
The you cross the train tracks. IMG_20190430_180201.jpgIMG_20190430_180240.jpg
Then I had to slow down. In the middle of nowhere speed limits. IMG_20190430_180313.jpg
When you pass a farm through mud slug you come up to an intersection. The least promising road straight is the way you go.
Then along the river with birds sinIMG_20190430_125626.jpg
ging their hearts out.
Up the hill and then through an Allee of Eukalyptus Trees.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.