• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Galician Retreat!

AndreaF

If you are looking for a place to rest a few days after your camino, or are looking for a base to do some walking from definitely check out The Little Fox House! (https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleFoxHo ... ts&fref=ts)

Tracy was a wonderfully helpful host while we were there. She gave us a cozy place to stay, yummy food to eat, shared her knowledge of the region and dropped us off at the start and picking us up at the end of each day of walking.

Her retreat is in a small, quiet Galician village not far off the Camino on the way to Muxia from Dumbria. The area around her place is lovely and rural but even better was the coastal walking we were able to do between Camarinas and Laxe. The coast line is beautiful and pristine and you spend all day walking along it and hardly bump in to another soul.

Tracy is a great resource and her Little Fox House retreat is a real gift whether you're looking for a pause before jumping back in to life, or want to explore coastal Galicia for the adventure of it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I missed visiting the little fox house on my 2012 Camino, but it is on my itinerary for this years Camino.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Andrea. The two of you were pioneers in that this was the first time I had organised an actual walk along the coast from Fisterra to Laxe. The coastline is indeed glorious and so few people are even aware that you can walk the entire Costa da Morte and very rarely even have the sea out of sight. It would be wonderful if more people could factor this into the walking the Camino time.
I just wanted to add that a stay at The Little Fox House is on a donation basis and includes meals. This year I want to expland my "History and Mystery" tours of the area. There are some amazing places to visit you´ll never find on the bus! I´m even including a dolmen hunt - in Galego!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My stay with Tracy was wonderful. I found my way to her last October, at the end of my Camino. Big surprise waiting for me once I stepped into her cozy home. Heather (another forum member) had cooked up a storm and we all sat down to a wonderful dinner, and great conversation. We scooted around the countryside in her car, along the costa del morte. Heather and I walked the river walk from The Little Fox House to the next town, what magic. Visited the Castle and Lace Museum in Vimianzo and had tons of fun eating freshly baked churros at the local farmers market. Now, if one would not want to do any of this, and just hunker down on her sofa, with the cats purring and reflect on once Camino just completed, all possible. As is painting, playing the guitar and taking a try on the Gaita perhaps. Relax in the sun outside the door, and watch village life unfold.

A touch of paradise created by a wonderful women, who has made Galicia her home and welcomes pilgrims with a warm smile and generous hospitality. Oh, and btw, this is a Donativo... so be generous.

The Little FoxHouse has been a turning point for my son, as he finished his Camino from SJPdP to Fisterra and Muxia last fall, but still was too harmed by stress and had unsolved questions on what to do with his life... he simply wasn´t ready to leave the simple, quiet and somewhat sheltered life of the Camino-World and get going in the "Everyday-World".
My son needed a place to be between these 2 realities and... luckily he heard about FoxyHouse, which was just right for him.
A 5 days stay together with Tracy and other pilgrims, with as much quiet and solitude as he needed in between, gave him back the perspective and helped him to find the answers that, both arriving in Santiago, in Finsiterra and Muxia, had not given him.... the Camino might open up for both questions and answers, but might not be long enough or the right place to settle them all :)

I love FoxyHouse for that and I love FoxyHouse for its warm openminded spirit, that I has self enjoyed and tried my utmost to put into being a hospitalera there twice myself.
Tracy is a fantastic person: wise, deep, knowledgeable, great compagny, a brilliant cook, a real friend that I am so gratefull to know!
FoxyHouse: till next time...soon <3

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have heard so many nice things about the Little Fox House. It seems the perfect place to end your walk. A lot of pampering when you need it most. I hope I will be able to walk fast enough to have some days at the end to visit this little gems......

I'm also going to chime in and gush about the Little Fox House. Such an amazing time. I stayed last fall for three days after my Camino Portuguese walk and it was a delight to stay there. I got the History and Mystery tour and it was amazing to learn so much about Galicia's ancient history. I hope to return again on my next Camino...maybe this time I will finally walk to Finisterre and beyond... :)

A kind reminder though...Tracy does this all by donativo. This is not a business for her but rather a way for her to give back to the Camino and the pilgrims who need a place of rest before they return to the "real" world. Your donations help her continue to provide a warm, welcoming, peaceful place to reflect, pray, talk, and share with others (or not!). You'll have a warm bed, delicious food, and an opportunity to just "be". Be generous with your donativo too. :)

For those of you planning to stay here, I have FINALLY finished The Little Fox House website with information about how to get here, etc. You can see many photos of The Little Fox House Retreat as well as the surrounding area and details of the walking tours too. Lots of pilgrim pix! I have also included some advice about "The Way and the way home". Here is the page for that:
http://www.thelittlefoxhouse.com/camino ... e_way_home
Buen Camino Todos...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just returned from my final stage of this years Camino, I had the pleasure to visit The Little Fox House (LFH) I was able to spend 3 relaxing nights with great company an great food. A visit to Tracy's retreat is a great way to gently come down from the weeks of walking, on previous caminos I have found the ending at the plaza in front of the cathedral too abrupt. If you find yourself in Santiago for a while before your return flight, etc a visit to the LFH may be just what you need to ease back into the real world.

I came home on Sunday after 5 weeks in Spain (2 as hospitalera and 3 as a peregrina). I was lucky enough to spend last Friday and Saturday at The Little Fox House with Tracy and three other pilgrims: Lisa from the U.S., Patricia from N. Zealand and Fabienne from the Canary Islands. Tracy was so gracious as to share her own bedroom with me. Her beautiful stone home is definately a Galician Retreat!

Although it is customary to spend 3-5 days at The Little Fox House, Tracy was kind enough to let me stay one night as I had to return the following day to Santiago to catch a night bus to Madrid. It felt quite strange not having to walk but there is always lots to do to help out: clean the house, fold laundry, water the church garden, etc. Normally you do not have to "work" the first day with Tracy but I don't listen very well.

The best way to reach The Little Fox House is by walking from Muxía but as I had already walked to Muxía and then to Finisterre I took a bus to Vimianzo where Tracy picked me up. We visited her language school in town and then she dropped me off about 2 km from her home so that I could walk the rest of the way along a lovely stream and wooded path (marked with arrows and foxy faces).

Do go visit Tracy - a peaceful way to end your Camino.

One of these days I will make it to Carantona, it seems like a perfect way to end the Camino.

And, sorry that this is off-topic but -- LTfit has surfaced! Can't wait to hear how it went. Did you walk the Sanabres? Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry for this interlude- Hi Laurie! Yes I did do the Sanabrés (the Primitivo and El Salvador are for next year unless I do the Voie d'Arles and the Aragonés...)and loved it! Pretty much did the same etapas as you. Will post some updates on the VdlP/Sanabrés when my head clears. Started work on Monday but am wandering around in a Post-Camino daze!
Cheers,
LT

If you are looking for a place to rest a few days after your camino, or are looking for a base to do some walking from definitely check out The Little Fox House! (https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleFoxHo ... ts&fref=ts)

Tracy was a wonderfully helpful host while we were there. She gave us a cozy place to stay, yummy food to eat, shared her knowledge of the region and dropped us off at the start and picking us up at the end of each day of walking.

Her retreat is in a small, quiet Galician village not far off the Camino on the way to Muxia from Dumbria. The area around her place is lovely and rural but even better was the coastal walking we were able to do between Camarinas and Laxe. The coast line is beautiful and pristine and you spend all day walking along it and hardly bump in to another soul.

Tracy is a great resource and her Little Fox House retreat is a real gift whether you're looking for a pause before jumping back in to life, or want to explore coastal Galicia for the adventure of it.

Already booked in mid-July...looking forward to it!

Kris

Just to let everyone know...Tracy and her retreat are still there and pilgrims continue to be welcomed. This is a lovely place to rest and recuperate before plunging back into life after your Camino. It's also a great place to linger if Galicia has grabbed your heartstrings the way it did mine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!