• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting my gadgets in Spain

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
We have decided to do the Primitivo next May/June. I would like to get my gadgets in Spain, namely a small knife with spoon, fork and cork screw. Also a walking stick to avoid the TSA drama. Is it safe to assume that this will be easy to do in Oviedo?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Finding trekking poles should be no problem. Finding a knife that combines spoon and fork and corkscrew might be more tricky. Easier to buy those separately. Plenty of places will sell a knife and corkscrew.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can I buy Trekking Poles in Santiago?
It makes sense to buy them in Spjp
I know ppl have mentioned Decathlon but I haven’t heard about on in Santiago?
I’m trying to avoid the plane drama too.

Yes, there are two Decathlon stores in Santiago - a small Decathlon City store in town, and a larger store a bit out of town.

Yes, there are two Decathlon stores in Santiago - a small Decathlon City store in town, and a larger store a bit out of town.
Thanks Trecile That’s great to know….
Your real world experience… walking and being on the ground… “knowing” these little details is great

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You certainly can buy them in Santiago, at the Decathlon stores as mentioned above and probably others, too. But Santiago is probably the place you are most likely to find free poles that you can reuse that have been left behind by other pilgrims who were "carry on only" and unable to bring their poles home. I would check Pilgrim House before Decathlon. Why pay for poles when you can get them free? Why not reduce waste and reuse?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

I was in that store about 9 months ago. It's very limited - but handy for hats/gloves that I had forgotten to bring - forgot December in northern Spain would be cold! The larger store will likely have more of what you need but is a distance out.

With Decathlon I tend to use Click and Collect - pre-ordering what's needed. My "local" stores are 50-60 miles away so don't want to just turn up on the off chance.

Great idea!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum