• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting the credential

Lemonkid

I'm a Canadian who's living in China, is it possible to pick up the credential in St. Jean, where I'm planning on starting my trip? I think it might be difficult to get my Canadian Chapter to send me one in China.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, you can pick up the credential del peregrino at the Pilgrim´s Office at 39, Rue de la Citadelle the opposite of the L´Esprit du Chemin. They will give you general information on the weather, and you get a height map on the Frances.
annie

You will get a friendly welcome in Pilgrim´s Office on Rue de la Citadelle. I recall the friendly gentleman receiving me and telling me how he "sizes up" pilgrims. One look at me and he knows to put me in a bottom bunk!
It might be nice for you to have papers from Canadian Chapter. Perhaps they would mail them to you if you can cover costs of postage/shipping.

Enjoy the planning and anticipation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can I get this in Barcelona? I am studying abroad in Barcelona, and plan to do a ten day trip from Ponferrada to Compostela in March.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
timothyd said:
Can I get this in Barcelona? I am studying abroad in Barcelona, and plan to do a ten day trip from Ponferrada to Compostela in March.

You will be able to get a credential in Ponferrada without much problem. Most, if not all, albergues will have them available.

My Canadian Company of Pilgrims source notes that credentials have recently been supplied to Canadians in exile in Korea, Shanghai and Sydney and that all they ask is sufficient time to get them going.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe I am mistaken about what "credential" this refers to. I mean the one that enables people to stay at the albergues alnog the route, and so that one can receive a certificate of completion at Compostela. Is this correct? I can pick this up at albergues, and in Ponferrada? I thought I had to visit a pilgrim office?

Most read last week in this forum