• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Has Anyone Stayed at the Monasterio de las Huelgas in Burgos?

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I plan to start my next Camino (Maseta, Salvador, Primitivo) from Burgos. I want to recover from jet lag the day I arrive, casually explore the city the following day, and start walking on the third day.

I've seen reference to the Monasterio de las Huelgas and their website references reception of guests. I am a big fan of the ideal of monastic life, the communal prayers and the intimacy of communal Masses, and I greatly admire those who live the life. Moreover, it helps make for a prayerful start to the pilgrimage.

Has anyone stayed with the sisters at the Monasterio de las Huelgas for a day or two?

Aside from being slightly removed from the central part of Burgos, is it conducive to use as a base of operations to go exploring for a few hours on the second day?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't myself, but I know from others that they do indeed have a hospederia (guest house). See http://www.monasteriodelashuelgas.org/hospederia.html if you are interested in staying there, I would just contact them. Buen Camino, SY
SY, thanks much. I've been to their site and seen the guest house option. I was holding up firsthand contact with them until I had a sense of things from others on the forum who might have had firsthand experience with them. I don't expect a lot of firsthand experience with the monastery, especially given the other plentiful lodging options in Burgos, the monastery's distance from the city center, and the fact that most people are passing through fairly quickly. But, given the diverse and eclectic group this forum attracts, I figure at least one or two have experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum