• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hebrew Bible to go on display in Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those interested in ancient books, visit the San Isidoro Basilica museum in Leon. They have a room full of ancient texts and a 900 year old Bible.

The Bodleian Library have a web page on the Kennicott Bible with some history and sample photos. A beautiful thing.
And they have digitised all 922 pages:
https://digital.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/inquire/p/db7fbdca-964e-4a16-93c8-f07e2d8e3c33
Not the same as seeing the real thing but still ...

I'm showing my high level of ignorance when I admit that it had not even occurred to me that something like this exists ... a Hebrew bible with beautiful medieval decorations and made in Spain. I've associated these motifs always with books produced by monks in monasteries ...

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
THIS looks like it's worth a visit if you happen to be in SdC.

Thank you, Jeff, for the article. And just as I was going to ask how we individually could see those marvellous inllustrations....

..... I found your link, Bradypus,....

.... and yours, Kathr1na! Wonderful! Thank you all!!!

Beautiful detail in the scanning though - you can even see the different density of ink as the character was written. I imagine that heavy book box has helped to keep it safe over the years.

Perhaps not entirely surprising when you consider the importance of the written text to the Jewish religion. There are a number of lavishly illuminated Jewish manuscripts from the middle ages, generally reflecting the artistic styles of the particular time and place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum