• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi friends. Had to bail Spain unplanned. Dental issue. Go back in January?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So I had completed the Norte from Irun to Santiago for the 5th time starting in mid September and arriving in mid October 2023. I then hopped on a long train ride / taxi to SJPdP. During the Norte, on the walk, I enjoyed the best weather I've ever enjoyed on that route. I got a tan!

Then, on the taxi ride into SJPdP from Pamplona, I noticed the trees swaying in the wind. The same day I took the Napoleon route. OMG IT WAS CRAZY! Winds like I've never experienced before in my life. Like I am not a small man, and I was blown across the trail.

The foul weather was relentless on the Frances. I've done the exact same route at the exact same time of year before, but it was so windy and rainy this time. I love the Camino, and this one started to suck.

Well, it got really bad when I arrived in Astorga. After a day of cold weather and relentless rain, I decided to chill, just a walk from Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga instead of continuing on to Rabanal. I sat on my bed and chewed a nail. (Bad habit). My right front tooth broke off at the gum line. (It was an old sports injury from my teenage years).

I was on a train the next day to Madrid, and the day after that a flight back home.

So after a month of dental visits, everything taken care of, I want to finish what I started.

I feel I fly back into Madrid, train to Leon, walk to Ponferrada, and then take the left turn to the Invierno... in January... Then get to Seville...

-OR- Fly into Madrid, train to Seville. Do the VDlP again, maybe this time taking the route to Astorga, then going to Ponferrada, and continuing on the Invierno?

Thoughts, suggestions for a mid January to end of Feb. route?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Personally I'd probably like to finish what I started. But the January return date - I like winter caminos - but the VDLP and Seville might be a better start given the bad weather in the autumn tinged your CF experience.

Have you done the Mozarabe? If not that might be a change. Not sure about lodging in winter, but I would think the weather would be milder? You'd still end up on the VdlP.

That's a bummer about your dental work.
I have not and I'm researching it now! I am a little nervous about the Sierra Nevada tho... to me that sounds like snow! Any thoughts about that? Also, I notice multiple starting points... I'd be inclined to just choose the furthest one (Almeria) but I think if I start instead in Malaga I avoid the sierras?

There is apparently an awesome Amigos group that helps you with the first several stages (albergues, etc.) if you start in Almeria. I don't know about Malaga. I have not walked this route, but have always wanted to do it in winter. I'm sure others will chime in and you may see some threads from the last couple of years that will give you some wisdom.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd be inclined to just choose the furthest one (Almeria)
I’d say definitely start in Almeria …. (There are 3 starting points). Almeria , Malaga & Jaén. @AJGuillaume & wife Rachel have walked all three. He has posted lots of info on all three, here in forum.

The amigos from Almeria to Granada are second to none …. You will have access to support at any time with them and they will
send contact info /code to Albergues along the way. South will be a good choice starting in winter .

Buen camino.

Edit: Walking from Sevilla again would also be a good choice. You would more than likely meet a few more peregrino/as on that route . I’ve got a feeling you’re not a great fan of walking completely solo??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Decisions... I love this map..
I agree., it’s a great map …..there are so many routes to choose from and you’ve walked many of them.
I have just seen on the forum calendar Damien, that you are starting in Almería on Mozárabe on Jan 16.. 🥾. so, wishing you a great journey along the different routes you have chosen to takes from Mérida to arrive at Santiago.
Buen camino and take care.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back