• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi,just to introduce myself....

howardR

I'm new to this forum, and to camino planning - am finding this website really good for info from all you veterans out there. I'm hoping to do the VDLP next year,either spring or autumn - I' m a fairly fit and experienced walker, but was wondering how much training do youall do before setting off? Also, some of the books say one needs fairly good spanish language skills on the VDLP - mine are VERY basic,though I got by well enough doing the Traumantana in Mallorca. Can't wait to get started!!
ATB and buen camino - Howard.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there,
Like you I am an experienced walker.I actually believe that far too much is made of "training" for a long trek.Long distance walking takes place in your head.As long as a person is reasonably physically fit they can walk long distances.The main thing you need when attempting a long walk is motivation.On top of this it is essential that you have good footwear that fits well.Nextly keep your rucksac weight down to the bare essentials, no more than 10% of your body weight.
I maintain that it takes three days to walk yourself into a good rhythm, not too quick but not too slow.Day three tends to be the difficult day for most people.This applies whether you are a regular walker or a total beginner.I have known regular walkers struggle as often as beginners in this first three days.By day four you should be well into your stride.
As for the language thing.I actually enjoy being a foreigner in a foreign land.I have often travelled in countries where I have not been able to speak the language.If anything this has added to my enjoyment of the experience.I do,like you, have a few words of Spanish and have always found that I have managed to deal with anything that comes up.It is good to have a basic phrase book in your pack-just in case.
Happy walking.
Harry

Hi Harry, Thanks for that - I note you're planning the VDLP next spring - we may meet up along the way!! I will be 61 then - a friend of mine did the CF from Pamplona a few years back at the age of 78, so there's hope for us oldies yet!!
ATB Howard.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
howardR said:
wondering how much training do youall do before setting off? Also, some of the books say one needs fairly good spanish language skills on the VDLP - mine are VERY basic,

I did zero hiking training before leaving for Europe. I'm in pretty good shape due to boxing and martial arts training. However, walking is a different story, and I regret not doing at least some preparation in that area. I did the Frances route from St. Jean to Santiago, and starting in the mountains was quite hard on me.

I wasn't an experienced walker - I hadn't carried a pack since I was a young Marine in the late 80s/early 90s. That inexperience (along with some hubris), combined with way too much initial pack weight (22 kilos) almost cost me the Camino. If I hadn't gotten rid of a bunch of unneeded stuff and taken it slow until my 40-year-old body recovered/strengthened enough, my Camino would've ended long before Santiago. I suffered a lot of unnecessary pain - although perhaps in some sense it was necessary for personal growth.

As for language - knowing some Spanish helps, especially in the small towns where English isn't a hot commodity. For down-and-dirty instruction, I recommend One-Day Spanish by Elisabeth Smith. It's about 70 minutes worth of instruction on a single CD (easy enough to burn to an iPod for a refresher on the plane over, or even on the Way).

Ms. Smith focuses on European Spanish, and provides some very helpful phrases (like ordering vino tinto, for instance - haha). Knowing the Spanish numbers from 1 to 100 is a good idea, since that's how the shopkeepers quote their prices - it helps if you can quickly give them the right amount, especially when there's a big line behind you. You'll pick up more on the Way as well. Buen Camino! :)

vinotino..... I find the story of how ill-prepared you were to start with, both physically and by carrying too much gear that you needed to jettison, one of the most inspiring I have read on the forum. I admire the way you slowed down to recover, then made some changes and walked the Camino despite your bad start. I hope I will think of you on the days when I find the going tough next year. Thanks for sharing your story.
Margaret

Hello Howard,

Just returned from walking the Camino Frances 9 days ago. We were blessed with beautiful weather. As to preparation, if you are an experienced walker, I guess, just keep walking everyday. It will also depend on how many kilometers you would like to do everyday. I agree with Harry that one needs motivation to attempt a long walk. The other two important things are: a very good pair of footwear and a light backpack. The walking becomes more animated when you are not carrying a heavy load. I was informed, though, that the VLDP is quite different from the Camino Frances, so you may have to check more on this route as to availability of accommodation and food and water supplies.

As to being 61, you are very young! I met a 75-year old gentleman who was walking his 3rd Camino.

Buen Camino!
Paola

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back