• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Historical Path - San Martin del Camino

browneyedsusie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April - June 2024
I'm after some information on whether I should chose to walk from Leon to San Martin del Camino or by Villar de Mazarife. I've read that the way via San Martin is the historical path. Can anyone enlighten me please?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Of all the miles husband and I have walked alongside Spanish roads, this route ranked near the worst. Folks at the bar in Villadangos told us about a pilgrim recently hit by a car on that road (2022). We’ve walked to Villar a couple of times, and as @C clearly says, it’s quite nice (and safer too!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked both routes. I believe San Martin is the historic route, but it is not the most pleasant.

Oh the Vilar every time.

Just one thing to be aware of: I walked Leon to Hospital del Obrigo via this route, and the distance is further than the apps or the guide books have it. No reason at all not to walk it, of course - just don’t be surprised by the difference!

There’s a great hostel with cafe bar in Oncina de la Valdoncina a few kms after you pick up this route at La Virgin del Camino - just when you might fancy a break.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, the historical path got many portions paved over by Franco. If you like long straight path next to lots of commercial traffic, take it. The alternate is much quieter and goes through plenty of small villages with cafes and albergues.

Most read last week in this forum