• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Holidays in the region along the CF

P

PANO

I know, this is the camino-forum and my suggestion might be considered blasphemous by some.
Last September I packed my 2013-camino-gear to redo the CF on short notice, starting in Pamplona. The weather was exceptionally hot, climbing up to 40°C and I did not drink enough water.
Shortly before Viana, the heat struck me unconscious and I was forced to abandon the trail. (Even without this, I realised that the repetition –for me– was not a good idea, the déjà-vu was dreadful)

Anyway, I rented a car and explored the country, crossing the Pico’s de Europa down to the north-coast and along to Bilbao; then back to Logroño and by train to Barcelona. Even amongst Europeans, this gem of a region enjoys a somewhat shadowy existence next the glamorous Mediterranean tourist spots.
Admittedly, it was at first a bit strange to cover a ›Peregrino-distance‹ of up to a week, –say from Logroño to Leon in only a leisurely few (air-conditioned) hours. But parting toward the breathtaking mountain-range and the deep-blue lakes offers ample compensation. Descending toward the coast and then along a wild and mostly unspoilt seaside with quaint fisher villages, friendly locals, history and great food made this an unbelievable holiday-experience I surely would have missed without that camino-incident.

The experience is of a totally different kind of course, but I’d like to take up the cudgels on behalf of this great country and commend it as a true, albeit little known touristic jewel offering outstanding value for money.
I recommend this alternative experience to those peregrinos longing to re-visit but fearing repetition or the physical hardship.
And thank you for not condemning my trolling on this valuable site too harshly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
After this Camino we have to decide whether to walk the Salvador - a possibility for 2016 - or to take the car and finally visit some of the places we have had to walk through or have bypassed along the Norte and Primitivo. It is an area well worth visiting, and as we have posted elsewhere it was actually a holiday and car trip to Santiago 20 years ago that set us off on the now fulfilled dream to walk the Camino as pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum