• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How many days should I plan........

MoniRose

Time of past OR future Camino
(5/28-7/4, 2012) Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago
(7/22-8/2, 2013) Camino Finesterra
(?) Camino Le Puy
....to move on from Santiago to Muxia and Finisterra, then back to Santiago?

What kind of support services - food, lodging - are there along this route? After deciding whether or not to add this, I plan to get the guidebook for this specific leg. Is it necessary?

Also, does one need to walk this leg in order to get the Compostelas from both of these locations?

Thanks so much! - M :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, M,

You'll find lots of information on your question about continuing on to Finisterre in a different section of this forum -- a separate section dedicated to the camino from Santiago to Fisterre and Muxia. Go here and you'll find lots of information: santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia/

I think most people walk Santiago to Finisterre in three days, and then one more for Muxia. I've done that, and the group I was with agreed that it would have seemed more fitting to end in Finisterre, that is going Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre. I may try that this year, but the one drawback I see is that if you go first to Muxia, you will miss the incredible walk along the water and towards the water on the path into Finisterre. I suppose you could walk a circle and see it all!

I don't think a separate guidebook is necessary, it's extremely well marked and you can find out all about the services along the route in the part of the forum I linked to above. You don't have a lot of options on this route, so everyone winds up stopping in the same places.

You get the compostela at the Cathedral in Santiago, and both Finisterre and Muxia have their own "certificates" they give to people who have walked from Santiago. The hospitalero in Muxia is reported here to be a bit per-snickety about giving out the Muxia certificate, so if you go to Muxia be careful to get stamps along the way.

Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum