• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many nights should we spend in Pamplona before heading to SJPdP

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2023
Frances 2024
My husband and I are flying into BCN and taking the train to Pamplona to sleep and see the city before heading to SJPP by bus (or taxi) to start our Camino Frances. In 2019 I blew through Pamplona. Didn’t see any of it except for a blur in of shops.

Question: Should we spend more than two nights in Pamplona before heading to SJPP? We will be starting our Camino in the middle of June (June 22 or 23rd?) with the rest of the crowds. I’m pretty sure we will be too tired to take in much of anything after starting the Camino in earnest.

Buen Camino
👣🎒💖

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pamplona is one of my favorite cities on the Frances. I have always flown into there and stayed one night before going to SJPP. I could easily spend 2 nights there especially when adjusting from jet lag (Washington State-USA). Go for it.
I will be doing something similar (✈️SEA-MAD-PNA, 🛏️, 🚌SJPP) for my first Camino in May.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I are flying into BCN and taking the train to Pamplona to sleep and see the city before heading to SJPP by bus (or taxi) to start our Camino Frances. In 2019 I blew through Pamplona. Didn’t see any of it except for a blur in of shops.

Question: Should we spend more than two nights in Pamplona before heading to SJPP? We will be starting our Camino in the middle of June (June 22 or 23rd?) with the rest of the crowds. I’m pretty sure we will be too tired to take in much of anything after starting the Camino in earnest.

Buen Camino
👣🎒💖
There is no should. If you have time, spend at least one day, and probably two will allow you to find your feet literally before moving on to begin your camino.Very comfortable walkways have been developed along the river Arga, and that can take hours of unhurried walking, with easy access to various parts of the city. There are at least two municipal mercados, fascinating places to wander in, where you can see normal everyday people buying their bread, fruit and veg, fish, meat...
Yes, you can stand beside Hemingway, have an informative tour of the Cathedral museum, get lost in the multitude of bars, with one in particular offering mouth watering choices - let me try to remember the name...Zanpa.
The tourist information centre will have maps and guides. Enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe stay 2 nights if there are things of interest you want to see.
That will mean you don't need to spend extra time there as you come back through on your Camino.

I have a strange relationship with Cities whilst walking the Camino.
I tend to want to get through them fast to get back out into the open landscapes.
But on the flip side, there are things to see and do if you want to take a short day or a planned rest day.

I have a strange relationship with Cities whilst walking the Camino.
Me too. Originally I'd allowed 3 spare days in my Camino calculations, with the aim of having rest days in some of the cities to explore/rest/be a tourist. Pamplona was meant to be the first one, and it is truly beautiful, but for whatever reason by the time I arrived I just felt so uncomfortable/anxious with the thought of staying there I carried on - that city theme continued throughout my Camino.

I think it might be different though if you're walking as a couple perhaps, because the romance of these ancient cities is tangible as you stroll through the beautiful narrow ancient streets, not too mention all the cute bars and restaurants.

You may find the lack of crowds and wide open spaces are what you learn to crave once walking this beautiful path though.

Pamplona its one of my favorite cities too! Its a got a nice easy going vibe. I've stayed the night in Pamplona before heading on to SJPdP, to ease the jet lag before, and will do so the next time I do the walk. I found it was a great place to replace anything I may have forgotten to pack and there are enough things to see to keep you pleasantly occupied.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino
👣🎒💖
In Sept/23 I started my journey to SJPP by spending 4 nights in Madrid then train to Pamplona for 2 nights before taking bus to SJPP, where I stayed for 2 nights before starting my walk.
I was then able to bypass Pamplona staying in Cizur Menor.
I wasn’t sure how jet lag would affect me coming from west coast of Canada so enjoyed the leisure time to explore beforehand. I had read up on sights to go to knowing the time I had available. It worked out perfectly.

Buen Camino
👣🎒💖
Two nights works well for me. If you have a big night out the first night (hard not to in Pamplona) you can relax and have a nice sightseeing day next day! Loads to do, see, eat and drink!

Buen Camino
👣🎒💖

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Only one night and that was enough for me. Got in early enough to do some sightseeing but that's it. Didn't need a rest day that early in my Camino and didn't feel any real pull to want to be in the city longer than one night. I did a shorter walk day a couple of days later and stayed in Ciraqui (from Puenta La Reina) which was totally worth it. I did rest days in Burgos and Leon. If I walk the Frances again, I'd likely start with 2 nights in SJPP to enjoy the beauty of it (not so much to rest before walking and recover from travel. I didnt need that.)

Last edited:
Two nights at most, it’s worth a full day - try to find somewhere not claiming a Hemingway connection.

It’s a great place, but there are many more in Spain.

I will be doing something similar (✈️SEA-MAD-PNA, 🛏️, 🚌SJPP) for my first Camino in May.
I too am staying 2 nights in Pamplona after flying to Madrid from Australia to help adjust to the new time zone and enjoy the city. That way I can choose not to stay there when walking the Camino from SJPP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
👣🎒💖
In May-June 2023 I had one night booked there before heading to SJPP. Was supposed to get into Pamplona at 6PM. My flight got delayed by 4 hours so didn't arrive till 10 PM. Didn't get a chance to see much as I had a ticket for the noon bus the next day. This year i'am staying 2 nights.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We stayed in Biarritz prior to going to SJPD and loved it! Was great place to get ready for the walk. Lovely small beach town

Two nights at most, it’s worth a full day - try to find somewhere not claiming a Hemingway connection.

It’s a great place, but there are many more in Spain.
Don't be such a spoilsport 😈 What did H ever do to upset you?
I am more interested in the sculpture than the man! Playing with clay was my breathing space for many years in my free time.
You may know Pamplona is rather familiar to me, but I am not a bit biased. 😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you're a Hemingway Hater, ignore this post. While I have no respect for him as a person, I definitely admire his early writing (when he was still influenced by the time he spent writing for the Toronto Star). If you haven't read The Sun Also Rises for a while--or at all--read it while you're in Pamplona or on the plane coming over. And then walk around seeing hotels, cafes, parks, etc. that made appearances in the book.

Pamplona is a vibrant city , but I think just one nigth is enought before heading to SJPP, considering probably you´ll pass by it again soon. Furthermore Pamplona has a Decathlon for doing the last stuffs shopping before start the Camino. Enjoy it.

In Sept/23 I started my journey to SJPP by spending 4 nights in Madrid then train to Pamplona for 2 nights before taking bus to SJPP, where I stayed for 2 nights before starting my walk.
I was then able to bypass Pamplona staying in Cizur Menor.
I wasn’t sure how jet lag would affect me coming from west coast of Canada so enjoyed the leisure time to explore beforehand. I had read up on sights to go to knowing the time I had available. It worked out perfectly.
In order to bypass visiting Pamplona, do you still need to go through the city to get to Cizur Menor? Is there good Camino direction within the city? Is it a do-able walk from Zubiri? I am 67 and in somewhat good form, but I don't think I can do a walk of over 25km

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back