• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Remote Is It??

ricksca

I have been planning to do the CF, but am discouraged by the descriptions of people leaping out of bed at dawn to get a place at the next refugio. I want to amble and hate feeling the need to be aggressive and competitive for scarce resources. Having said that, C. de Madrid might be a solution, but has been described as very remote and secluded and people have said that it might not be appropriate for a solo peregrino (which I am). My question is, how remote is it? What is the longest stretch between supplies, water, and lodging? I don't want to fight for beds, but I don't want to hike solo for days either or be stranded if something goes wrong. Any advice?

Or, anyone want to meet up in Madrid in the next week or so and walk together at least until it joins CF?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi from the Camino de Madrid!!
It's not a remote route, you do travel through plenty of villages but not as frequently as on the Frances. There's often 10-15kms between villages, and you can't be guaranteed that the ones you do pass thru have devices that are open. There is one day that's 32kms in the wilderness. You will probably walk alone but I've been good friends with 3 pilgrims who are walking the same stages as me, and have shared an albergue 2x with a bicyclist. So far it's been a gorgeous walk, without the worry of racing for a bed, and I highly recommend it.

Hi, ricksca,

I've sent you a PM, I will be starting from Madrid on Tuesday, June 17, and walking to Santiago. I don't think there's any need to worry about walking alone, in fact, I've come to love it. But it is the one time in my life that I carry a cell phone, so that takes away a lot of the anxiety of -- what if something happens? I would definitely recommend carrying a cell phone, they cost me a total of about 50E on a typical camino, and I think it's well worth it.

I do agree that it's nice to find people in the albergues at the end of the day, though I have had my fair share of sleeping alone in albergues. Though it's kind of creepy sometimes, nothing has ever happened. You should take a look at alipilgrim's blog, it has lots of information on this route, and she is there now, so it's completely up to date. http://allisonswanderlust.blogspot.com/

Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie, Thank you for your reply. I think the thing that is slowing me down more than the remoteness is the Spanish that I haven't used for 15 years (and which wasn't so hot then). I know that in rural Spain English won't be of much use.

It sounds like my situation is a little like yours. I'm 66 and my wife has problems with her feet that prevent her from taking long walks like this.

I have been holding off getting my ticket, but have been thinking of booking a flight from Sacramento on Sunday to Madrid. I have no idea if you would be up for walking together for a while, but if you might, we could meet Tuesday AM and, perhaps, at least set out together. (I will understand perfectly if you prefer to walk alone).

Regardless, I'm getting excited and look forward to being on the trail.

Rick

(Forgive me if you get this 2 or 3 times. I couldn't seem to get the "reply" button to work on your PM)

Rick
I am 64, and just walked the North half of the Camino Madrid. My Spanish is poor but improving. Yes, I did have communication problems, but got some help from another walker. I wish now that I had done the whole Madrid route, as I enjoyed the solitude. I am now on the Frances, and it is a much different experience. Remember, if you ever get in a real jamb in any village, you are only a short taxi ride away from your problems, and a short ride back to resume your walk. Ian.

hello,

We just returned from Spain, doing a first part of the camino de madrid.
It's beautiful, astonishing and most of al peacefull.
Remote ...is a difficult qualification. For me it was not.... But this can be different for other people. Remote ... I guess....is where silence and solitude doesn't feel oke anymore......

Almost everyday we met some bikers, walkers, police, horseriding people, people who were working...or even a helicopter just above our heads....but no other pilgrims.
One day we met nobody untill arriving in our hotel, but by then we were very much in flow with the silence in the area...

About language: after an 8 week intensive course of Spanish language I had no real problem. With this basic level of Spanish I could manage. We also met several people who spoke very well english and some who spoke french.
Everybody you meet is happy that you walk this camino...!!! The people in this area are very helpfull and friendly.

One day we got an explanation of wild plants you can eat , several people wanted to take us by car ( :D ), which we refused of course. A bottle of wine for the road was offered to us by a hostal-owner... which I exchanged for some bread :wink: . We were present at a fiesta...in the next place we were invited to drink a hot chocolate with cakes offered by a church...etc.
It was an excellent trip....we will go back next year to continue.
For us there was just one negative point: that we couldn't continue now :!: But that's because of our work....which also means a lot to us.
So! I hope you can make a good choice for yourself and have a buen camino...with lots o fun and little worries...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

I´m 64, have twenty words of Spanish, and yesterday in Villeguillo was invited to a mini fiesta run by farmers, for tapas and fun. I have experienced several caminos and this is the best alongside my first CF, twenty years ago.

Just pack your bag and go. Thats all you have to do....Maybe you already have.... :D

Buen camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back