• Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar
  • PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Resource icon

How The Camino Via De La Plata(VDLP) Is Different From The Camino Frances 2020-12-07

No permission to download
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances(15,16,18)CheminduPuy(16) Portuguese(16 VDLP(17)Primitivo(17)Ireland-3000K(18) Norte18Vasco17
Kevin considine submitted a new resource:

How The Camino Via De La Plata(VDLP) Is Different From The Camino Frances - Comparing Camino VDLP to Camino Frances

This is one peregrino’s perspective so admittedly biased but I also talked with many other VDLP peregrino's to confirm these points.
--------
1. LONGER: Via de la Plata (VDLP) is 1000 kilometers vs. 790 kilometers on Camino Frances.

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: Fairly often you have to walk 15-30k with no Cafe or tienda(shop) to stop for food and drink. Also there are stretches where you have to walk as far as 30k to get to the next Alberguefor a bed.

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE...

Read more about this resource...

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Antonius Vaessen

Year of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I did not walk the Camino Frances so I cannot compare the CF with the VdlP from experience. Most of the points you made about the VdlP are correct and were known to me before walking the VdlP as my first camino. In fact your points in great part sum up my reasons for this choice. We differ probably in how we appreciate the differences Another year I walked the last stages of the CF (after walking the Primitivo) and came to the conclusion that this is not for me: to crowded, many people too "fun-oriented", too commercial and so on ( I realise that the fact that my experiences were in the last 100 km influences my judgement. In the earlier stages of the CF the crowds will not be do big)
By the way, I am one those old men who don't see a problem walking in the dormitory in underpants)

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 59 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 206 15.1%
  • May