• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.
Resource icon

HOW THE JAPAN 88 TEMPLE PILGRIMAGE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO:

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
Kevin considine submitted a new resource:

HOW THE JAPAN 88 TEMPLE PILGRIMAGE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO: - Comparing Japan 88 Temple and Camino de Santiago

Read more about this resource...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You gave a pretty good comparison. The Shikoku is definitely a more serious affair compared to the CdS where for many it's a social event. The constant pavement walking on roads is a chore too. But that said i found the 88 more to my liking due to the lack of party atmosphere. There's no denying it is much more expensive though.

Apples oranges chalk cheese making comparisons is difficult. Perhaps because the Shikoku route often follows a roadway there are plenty of public washrooms (some with heated seats), public bathhouses, convenience stores & vending machines(food & drink). Rustic shelters v/s a room at a Paradore - a roof, an air mattress, a sleeping bag & perhaps a mosquito net - the ensuite down the road. Wear a white top, grab a stick ( Kobo Daishi will help you). The Japanese people are kind & by helping you share your pilgrimage. I want potential pilgrims to know that the Shikoku 88 doesn't have to be expensive. Check out "followingthearrows" by Kat Davis(RIP) or "walkingmylife.weebly.com" BE WELL!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum