• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Howdy y'all, I'll be a first timer in late May, early June '

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
Guess I'll start out by introducing myself: I'm from Texas and currently in veterinary school. Ever since I've heard of the Camino, I've thought it's something I'd really like to do if I'm ever in Europe. Well, turns out I will be in Europe in the summer of 2012, sometime around early June. More specifically - and where part of my problems lie - I'll be in Germany.

So the (first) question is: how do I get to Spain? Kind of an important part. :D Would I need 4 passports (one for Germany, one for France, one for Spain, and one for Portugal) or does the EU allow you to have just the one?

Also is the rail system over there good enough that I could take trains or should I fly to Pyrenees (or whatever the nearest airport is) instead? And what are the European airlines I should look at for prices? I know of British Airways but not sure what other good airlines are over there, and I've heard BA is kind of pricey...Google Maps says it's a 19 hour drive so would renting (or hiring, I think it's called over there) a car perhaps be better? But then I'd have to worry about getting a license.

Is June even a good time to attempt this? I don't want to be there during 'rush hour' so to speak, where everything is crowded and you can't even enjoy the walk, but I don't want the trail to be deserted either. I realize however that the middle of summer is likely peak tourist time so I may just be out of luck in that regard.

Another thing I'm worried about is what level of Spanish I should be able to speak. Hablo pequeno espanol y comprende menos. I've read here that you don't *have* to speak any, but well...I'd imagine that makes things a bit difficult, and I feel it might be a bit rude to go to a country and not speak the language. I have some high school Spanish still stashed in the crevices of my brain, but I can't learn German and (re-learn) Spanish between now and 2012 (or well, I highly doubt it :p), so I'm wondering at what level I should know it so I don't sound like a complete buffoon to people. Partial buffoon is acceptable though.

Also, and probably a popular question: what trail should a first-timer take? Currently I'm thinking Camino de France but that's just because I didn't know other trails existed until I found this forum. El camino del Norte looks interesting too.

Oh and I'd be doing this by myself: is that advised? Is it safe to do so? I'm a 23 year old male who's never left the states before.

And I guess my last question for now: how expensive are hotels in Santiago de Compostela? I plan on leaving myself about 2 weeks of lee-way (takes about a month to walk the trail right?) so as not to be 'rushed', and I figure I'll have 1 - 2 weeks of left over time between finishing and when my flight back to the states leaves.

I'm in the very, very early phases of planning and nothing is set in stone yet, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice, please, feel free!

And sorry this turned out to be so long.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some answers.

You only need one passport, and if you are a US national you will get a visa on entry that covers the Schengen Agreement states for a stay of up to 90 days in any six month period. The agreement covers most western European states, but not the UK. Depending how long you intend to stay in Germany, you might need to apply for a visa rather than have it issued on entry.

Train or plane would both work. My experience of the train system is limited, but it seems excellent.

If you do choose to drive, most hire companies will accept a valid photo ID licence, and you don't really need to get an international driving permit any longer for that reason. Some people suggest it is still a good secondary ID, but I haven't bothered to get one in the UK or Europe since the late 1970s.

Not sure what you would think of as crowded. Clearly summer is more popular, but your timing appears to be driven by other factors. Others might be better able to help here.

Travelling solo is common, and you should have no problem. You might walk alone, but you will always have company on the Camino should you want it.

Some Spanish is useful, and the more the better, but I walked with people who had almost none, and they survived. Other pilgrims will help you, as well as locals where they can.

DougF

How do I get to Spain?
From Germany, I'd fly. Flights are less expensive if you purchase them there, in my opinion. We took the train to Switzerland, the train to Rome, the train to Barcelona. It was awesome if you have the time. Once in Spain, I love the bus system. but flying is probably your best bet from Germany.

Would I need 4 passports
You only need one American passport. Make a xerox copy and keep it somewhere else for safety in case you lose it or it's stolen.

I wouldn't bother driving. There are many links on here about how to get to SJPP. We took a train from Paris to Bayonne, then another to SJPP. It was a lovely trip. So you could fly to Paris, then train from there.

Is June even a good time to attempt this?
June will be busy but you'll also meet a lot of people. I've never gone during the summer months. One good thing is you'll need less gear b/c of the weather.

Spanish.
If you can say please, thank you, and may I have a beer... you'll be fine. Especially in June, where you can buddy up to someone who speaks the language.

Which route.
I highly recommend the Frances for a first-timer. It's a great way to learn the ropes. But the Norte is beautiful, as is the Aragones and summer might be wonderful on those two northern routes. The Norte would take you to many lovely beaches - and fewer pilgrims.

Safety.
I'm a 58 year old female and I've walked portions of many of the routes alone. The only time I was afraid was once high in the mountains where I saw large cat tracks. I called them cougar tracks, but someone here reminded me there are no cougars in Spain. Maybe it was a lion escaped from the zoo! :lol: Yes, it is MUCH safer than walking in any American city after nightfall. You'll be fine.

Santiago Hotel.
If you want to PM me, I have a wonderful inexpensive place I stay in Santiago that I can suggest. It is a rooming house. You will share a bathroom, but it's clean and close to town.

My Advice.
Buy good trail shoes 1 size larger than you normally wear.
I love New Balance.
Put in a good gel insert.
Wear wool socks with liners.

Buy a LIGHTWEIGHT SMALL pack.

Carry no more than 10% of your body weight.

Don't bother with heavy items like flashlights, can openers, stoves. Just take a change of quick drying clothes, a sleeping bag liner (no bag in June), a wind breaker, a kitchen towel, your toothbrush and go! You'll be fine. Seriously, there are many packing lists on this forum. But in summer, go light.

Buy a traveler's money belt and WEAR IT. Keep your CASH, Credit Cards, and Passport with you AT ALL TIMES, even in the shower.

Don't' worry.. anything you need you can buy in Spain.
The Camino will provide.

Have fun!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Vet...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

You have already found that folks are willing to answer your questions...in part or in full. With several of my friends in Vet School and an avid animal owner..I know that things are tight and time precious. That said,

In your spare time...LOL, consider the following additional Forum resources:

The Pilgrim FAQ at the top right of the page;

The SEARCH box...also at the top right;

The Pilgrim Calendar at the bottom right where you can see whom is also on the Way at the same time and also add your itinerary as it fills in.

On your Camino you will see many animals...some behind fences and others you wish were.

Buen Camino

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Gay, I’m new to the forum as I’m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...
Hi walking the Norte starting in late August. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has/is starting in August.
Hi, I’m new to the group as I’m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.