• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Ideas/costs on shipping unnecessary items to the USA from Spain. (Madrid or Pamplona)

Kaiso

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Hello,
I travel to Spain on April 25th. I visit several cities before I start my Camino. (probably from Pamplona) I was hoping to take along some travel items (Tablet, clothes, etc) that I'd use on the tourist leg of the trip, but not to carry on the Camino. Anyone have ideas on shipping costs from Spain to the US. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it. I expect to begin my walk May 11th or 12th.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in France part of the year and I can tell you from experience it is not cheap. I would not trust the Postal systems of the US or Spain with items like a tablet. My suggestion would be to talk to Fedex or DHL and ask them for quotes based on your estimate of the weight and value of the items you plan ship and how easy it will be to have them cleared trough customs.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What most of us veterans do it ship our surplus items, even if in luggage ahead to Santiago, using the post office, or a parcel delivery service. You can usually track your items thought the Portuguese post office or a delivery service using their app.

Allow a lot of time, as this can take upwards of a week. I would check with FedEx, UPS and DHL, among others too, if shipping from Portugal into Spain.

Plan A - If you have a hotel reserved at Santiago, you really should from now through the end of September, send them an email asking if they will hold a parcel, piece of luggage for your arrival. They usually always say yes.

Plan B - Ship the items to Ivar at Santiago. He will store it until you pick it up for a nominal fee. This is how he supports his family. Go here for instructions:

This is a lot cheaper than shipping items back to North America. In my experience, and as Don alludes to, the cost of shipping could exceed the value of the items you are sending home.

Hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum