• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF: 9 days--> Starting on Pamplona or Ponferrada?

ferdechile

Time of past OR future Camino
Junte 3
Hello Pilgrims!

I have 9 days at the beggining of december to walk and I'm doubting on starting on Pamplona or Ponferrada.
If I choose the 2nd one, I get to the end but that doesen't mean that much to me....

It means a lot more:
  • Towns I visit are "raw", with soul with identity. I fear that the nearer to Santiago, the most "touristy" and lacking identity..
  • Hopefully walking in non car-road routes
  • Landscapes
  • Hopefully see pilgrims: Will I see I have a higher probability to see pilgrims on the 2nd choice..
  • Hopefully albergues that still have the traditional spirit of the Camino...

Thank u so much!!!!

Buen camino

Fer

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My personal choice for the duration and time of the year would be Pamplona.
- 9 days would get me to Burgos, someone slower maybe not that far
- many beautiful towns along the route
- likely not as harsh weather compared to the mountains entering Galicia
- no idea how many pilgrims are on that route in December, but likely more than zero

the Ponferrada option
- would likely get me to Santiago
- will likely have more Pilgrims
- has the Invierno option
- i like mountains

as i said, i would likely chose the Pamplona option, but the other one is a good choice too. Pretty much depends on what is more important to you, especially in terms of arriving in Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I wasn’t able to reach the Sarria - Santiago final stretch, but I’ll also advocate for Pamplona onwards. I loved every stage through to Burgos. Don’t forget to stay in the Parroquial San Juan Bautista in Granon!

Hola
If you choose Ponferrada you might struggle with snow on O'Cebreiro. Pamplona is sure a good choice. For sure there are only a few pilgrim in december, but if you are ready to meet people you will meet. Regardless it's maybe only one single person. I guess at this time of the year the camino is even more a question of contemplation and spiritual experience.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Pilgrims!

I have 9 days at the beggining of december to walk and I'm doubting on starting on Pamplona or Ponferrada.
If I choose the 2nd one, I get to the end but that doesen't mean that much to me....

It means a lot more:
  • Towns I visit are "raw", with soul with identity. I fear that the nearer to Santiago, the most "touristy" and lacking identity..
  • Hopefully walking in non car-road routes
  • Landscapes
  • Hopefully see pilgrims: Will I see I have a higher probability to see pilgrims on the 2nd choice..
  • Hopefully albergues that still have the traditional spirit of the Camino...

Thank u so much!!!!

Buen camino

Fer
Both will give you wonderful villages or small towns with character. Ponferrada might get you to Santiago but might not. I wouldn't count on it. Ponferrada will mean crossing O Cebreiro in December, which may be problematic or may not. There is a reason the Camino Invierno ("winter camino") avoids it.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back