• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

If I buy a SIM card in Spain will it work in other countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne100

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
... such as England, Ireland, France, Germany? Can I keep putting money on it in from those countries?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You might be able to use it in other countries but it would be costly if roaming, it would be cheaper to buy a new SIM card for each country you visit. You add credit within that country you buy the card from (I went to tobacco stores to add credit) or pay online if you set it up.

Thanks, Bararacer. Are pay-as-you-go SIM cards (the kind I will get in Spain) generally available at major airports in those countries, do you know?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I flew into Lisbon and during a layover at Madrid Airport I bought (Orange) one for my iPhone 5 it was very easy, all they needed to see was my passport.
I paid 15 euros for 1GB of data for a month and added 5 euros for voice/text, if I had to do it again, I would have gone with Movistar, Tuenti, or Vodaphone.

Voice roaming these days isn't very expensive.

The problem is topping it up and data roaming.

Why would you not use Orange?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Why would you not use Orange?
I noticed in some of the smaller remote towns, I did not get service where, but locals on Movistar had service, the Orange SIM cost 15 euros with 1GB of data plus I had to add 5 euros for voice credit.
Tuenti Movil (they use Movistar's towers) has a better deal for 12 euros with 1GB data and 50 local calling minutes and better reception.
http://tiendamoviles.tuenti.com/tarjeta-sim-prepago?d=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum