• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Father John Goodyear's Footsteps

tincress

Hi, We are starting our pilgrimage in Chale, Isle of Wight in the Footsteps of Father John Goodyear who walked the Camino Ingles in 1456 exactly 500 year before I was born! He gave an Alabaster altar piece to Santiago de Compostella which is now housed in the Cathedral museum. Glenda and I are two Grannies travelling with one pushchair to take our belongings. We are leaving Chale on the 25th June 2011. Glenda Sprake's ancestors are from Chale and she was badly injured in a road accident 14 years ago, so it will be a personal triumph to reach Santiago de Compostella.posting.php?mode=post&f=14#

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome!

A remarkable journey for both of you. If you need further information about walking the camino, ask your questions here. You will find a warm welcome and great advice!

All the best for a wonderful and memorable adventure!

Take care, and buen camino!

lynne

How absolutely wonderful! Hope you have a wonderful Camino.

could I suggest that the pushchair is one of those with the large wheels as a lot of the camino is rather rough ground. :wink:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Adding to Br. David's sound advice,
Try to pick a push chair that can be pulled easily.
It will just follow you over the uneven parts.

A couple of years ago I read the blog of a woman with MS who walked to Santiago.
She had tremendous spirit and humour, talking of "flinging" her walker along the Camino.

I know the Camino Ingles is relatively short. I hope the daily distances are also easy so that Glenda doesn't tire herself out. Remember, nothing like a day of rest in a B and B to recharge your energy.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Have a good camino. One of Gerard Hughes' pilgrimage books (I'm sure it's 'Walk to Jerusalem') gives a good account of a long walk with a wheeled luggage trolley. It's worth reading.

I'll be walking the Ingles with my daughter in October, so I look forward to following you,

Andy

Walking the walk of the old ones is a special way of pilgrimage
Have a safe crossing and a great journey
May the circumstances be on its best for you
And may Santiago open its arms widely for you

Lots of fun too!
Marian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to you both.
We too are planning on walking the Camino Inglés this year. Are you walking from Ferrol or from Coruña? (Sorry, I do not know which Father John Goodyear walked)
I'll second the comment about using a pushcahir that can be pulled as easily as pushed. The beach might be a good place for a trial run if you have access to more than one pushchair.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Thank you all for your kind comments. Yes the Pushchair is an all terrain type with big wheels and we have spare inner tubes too. We may need to rest a day here and there. We are out tomorrow for a walk over Hengistbury Head, Dorset to practice, hope to do 10 miles building up to 15! We are starting at El Ferrol, greetings to all fellow peregrinos, Tina and Glenda

We are planning to walk short stages, taking about 8 days rather than the 5 days most people walk. Hopefully that will give us time to look around and have rest time while walking each day. We'll combine the two lists (albergues/hostals) in the CSJ guide, plus a slight deviation after Cos to break the long day to Bruma/MesĂłn do Vento. We might have a 'rest day' if there is somewhere we really want to explore - churches/museums etc.
It would be good to hear your ideas for making the stages easier as you plan your walk
Hope your training walk goes well
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria
PS: I have sent you a PM too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.