• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

In the shadow of pilgrims: VdlP - Graeme Bennett

gb

Time of past OR future Camino
05 Puy en Velay > Santiago; 12 Seville > Santiago
My next long walk starts in Seville on 7 September and will end some 50 days later at about 25 October. It is both a fund raising exercise and another personal challenge. I am raising funds for the British Ex-Servicemen's Association (BLESMA) (see below) and have an initial target of £500 but, ideally, would like donations to total the distance walked (1000 km), that is £1000.
Should any readers here wish to donate I would be very grateful and the ultimate recipients even more so.

My aim is to complete the walk at one go, stopping for 2-3 nights in the more interesting towns, eg Salamanca.

As in 2005 when I walked from Le Puy en Velay in France to Santiago I shall make periodic postings here and on my blog http://www.gbwalk2.blog.com

Ages ago I heard that the route is attractive and interesting though I think it might be better in spring than autumn. However, I cannot wait that long! Training is under way: several decent walks already done carrying rucksack and to break in new boots which I needed when 3 days ago I discovered the old ones were collapsing!
gb

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will you be publishing a blog? My own Camino (first) is planned for the VdlP next March/April but I may have to delay until fall and will be interested in your experiences at that time of year. My thought now is that a March/April walk will put me in Galicia at the worst of the rainy season which I had hoped to avoid. I would also prefer October for post-Camino travels. I wish you well on your venture and look forward to following your journey.

As you will see from my post above, Janet, yes I will be publishing a blog. It is already open.

Buen camino on your journey.

gb

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked this route in both fall and spring, and it's beautiful in both seasons for different reasons. You will have a fantastic time, and I wish you well with your fundraising. I will be starting out from Sevilla in September, too, but at the end of the month. The entrance into Salamanca is very inspiring, by the way -- much more so than into Santiago!

Melanie

Thank you Melanie. I have been to Salamanca by car but I'm sure the arrival on foot will be marvellous - and a relief no doubt!

I have started looking at Sevilla temperatures and it's pretty hot at present: some 35-40C. I expect it to be very similar in 3 weeks time. 39C today from where I am writing in France but here this is exceptional.

gb

Hi Melanie,

I hope to arrive in Merida ( from Granada) about Oct 8, so I might meet you on the VDLP. Of course , this depends on how fast you walk-------I will be taking my time !!
I will have the Forum badge on my backpack.

Buen camino,
Sandra.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum