• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Demographic of VDLP pilgrim in recent years

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I’ve read in a few places that the typical pilgrim on the VDLP is an older European man. Not everyone of course, but this would be the largest demographic. Just wondering if that’s still the case or does it attract a broader demographic in 2024. For anyone that’s walked it in the past couple years - was there a wide variety of demographics in the pilgrims you met? Good mix of men, women, young and old? From all over the world?

I’ll be starting from Seville next month and curious how different it will be compared to the CF. Far fewer pilgrims I realize.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw this article fairly recently. A few details stuck out while reading it. The large difference in numbers of men and women - 72% men recorded on the VdlP while for the Santiago overall stats women make up 53%. Although the USA makes up the largest non-Spanish nationality in the overall figures they are a minor feature on the VdlP. The percentage of Spanish pilgrims is far lower on the VdlP where foreign pilgrims dominate the figures. I have walked the VdlP twice but mostly in winter when there were very few pilgrims to meet so my personal observations were limited but those numbers do seem plausible.

I saw this article fairly recently. A few details stuck out while reading it. The large difference in numbers of men and women - 72% men recorded on the VdlP while for the Santiago overall stats women make up 53%. Although the USA makes up the largest non-Spanish nationality in the overall figures they are a minor feature on the VdlP. The percentage of Spanish pilgrims is far lower on the VdlP where foreign pilgrims dominate the figures. I have walked the VdlP twice but mostly in winter when there were very few pilgrims to meet so my personal observations were limited but those numbers do seem plausible.

I find that interesting. My impression of my three VdlPs is that the pilgrims were overwhelmingly male. The women I met were usually walking as a couple.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I walked the VDLP in 2018 my recollection is that there were more men than women but not by a lot. There was also a nice mix of ages. A 40-ish gentleman with his 10-year old son, young post-college types, middle-aged couples and retirees like me.

Roughly, I've seen a bit more than 20 pilgrims this year, 8 of which were female but I might have miscounted as this is from memory. Ages fairly mixed.

But yeah, sample size is small, if I hadnt briefly met a mother walking with her two daughters, my statistics would already be quite different.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I first walked the Via (Seville to Merida) I didn't meet a single pilgrim.

Next time (Seville to Astorga) I met 3 German guys, all in their 50s.

Recently it's gotten more diverse, different nationalities and more women, but still older and more male than the CF, much more Spanish too (before there was hardly any).

I don't have statistics but I'd say the Germans are still the largest group.

In 2022 I wrote this: There are a lot of late middle aged men on the Via. It sort of makes sense because it is the Camino for more experienced pilgrims who have time on their hands. There are younger folk but they are often stuck listening to chat about pensions and arthritis.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year it was mostly older men, several few couples, a few single women, mostly German. Almost everyone was experienced, many retired - all had a good time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve read in a few places that the typical pilgrim on the VDLP is an older European man. Not everyone of course, but this would be the largest demographic. Just wondering if that’s still the case or does it attract a broader demographic in 2024. For anyone that’s walked it in the past couple years - was there a wide variety of demographics in the pilgrims you met? Good mix of men, women, young and old? From all over the world?

I’ll be starting from Seville next month and curious how different it will be compared to the CF. Far fewer pilgrims I realize.
Very different.

As you walk in April, hope for not too hot weather. You are after all walking through the Extremadura district (Extremely Durable; just sayin') from Sevilla & up.

Alwasy have sufficient water: In the first days, there will be (I think 2) of 40 kms. with nothing. If you cannot walk 40K, meke arrangements to detour or whatever.

This is not the CF: There are far fever places to stop during the days. Do not rely on a cafe popping up each 6-8 kms.

The vastness of the landscape is enormous: The path points forward into eternity in several places, it seems.

You will not likely meet many pilgrims each day.

I advice a rest day in Merida, Salamanca and Zamora.

Merida: Spectacular Roman remains: It was a retirement town (how convenient for us old men walking :cool: ) for Roman legionnaires (soldiers) after end of duty.

Salamanca: Big university city with the largest Plaza Mayor in Spain (larger than in Madrid).

Zamora: Great city.

Buen Camino!

Very different.

As you walk in April, hope for not too hot weather. You are after all walking through the Extremadura district (Extremely Durable; just sayin') from Sevilla & up.

Alwasy have sufficient water: In the first days, there will be (I think 2) of 40 kms. with nothing. If you cannot walk 40K, meke arrangements to detour or whatever.

This is not the CF: There are far fever places to stop during the days. Do not rely on a cafe popping up each 6-8 kms.

The vastness of the landscape is enormous: The path points forward into eternity in several places, it seems.

Merida: Spectacular Roman remains: It was a retirement town (how convenient for us old men walking :cool: ) for Roman legionnaires (soldiers) after end of duty.

Salamanca: Big university city with the largest Plaza Mayor in Spain (larger than in Madrid).

Buen Camino!
I like to say that the Via de la Plata is more an Odessey than a walk. Also, I would carry breakfast and lunch for the day and carry coffee bags and a collapsible cup. Most of the public Albergue's have a microwave at least and only the bigger towns have cafe's open in the morning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very different.

Buen Camino!
Haha! Let’s not scare the question presenter quite yet! When I walked the Plata in spring 2014 without a guide book I didn’t experience any 40 km stages during the first week. I looked at my blog record and there was one stage of just over 30km and the rest were generally between 22-25km. For sure there were longer stages later on, one that was around 45km, and I could have broken it up, but I chose not to. I also doubled up a number of stages because I was able to.
For what’s it’s worth there were just a few more men than women, including 6 women who started solo. Mostly ranging in age from 45-60. It really is luck of the draw. My experience could have been completely different if I’d started a few days earlier or later than when I did. Every day I walked solo and didn’t see others until they arrived later in the day. Because of the people I met and have remained friends with, this walk remains one of my favourite Camino experiences! Have fun and just be prepared for whatever the trail brings you. Do plan to leave early to beat the heat and to catch the sunrise!

I went days and days on the VDLP without seeing another woman. There were rarely other women in the albergues I was in. Other people talked about having walked with women or stayed with them, but somehow, very often, I ended up being the only woman in a middle-aged European man bubble. French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch. Mostly it was very fun. But the snoring! It was rare for the albergues to be full, but in the albergue in this photo (Tabara - where the hospitalero gives you a wooden camino necklace) I got the last bunk. In the middle of the night, it seemed like every single other person in the room, all of whom were men over the age of 50, was snoring...I wondered about my choices!

598D996D-3AFD-48B1-B6AA-3A0EDBF55D90_1_105_c.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Y'all are making me reconsider walking the plata haha
You can download a guide from my website. It'll show you the real distances. There's a FAQ page too which tries to give an overview of what you need to know before setting off. Don't let comments on here put you off walking this Camino. It's a great experience, although it isn't suitable for everyone. https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/

You can download a guide from my website. It'll show you the real distances. There's a FAQ page too which tries to give an overview of what you need to know before setting off. Don't let comments on here put you off walking this Camino. It's a great experience, although it isn't suitable for everyone. https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/
Thanks, I already have a guide I am comfortable with and I am all prepared. I was just joking coz apparently I will be ruining the gender statistics of this camino (as well as the age I guess)
Edit: In fact, I think it is your app I have.

The main guidebook stages can be long. But I've found that there are many intermediate and turn off points where albergues are located.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, I already have a guide I am comfortable with and I am all prepared. I was just joking coz apparently I will be ruining the gender statistics of this camino (as well as the age I guess)
Edit: In fact, I think it is your app I have.
Don't worry ! I have noted in the three times I have walked the Via that there are many more women walking than my first time. I usually start the week after Easter which seems to be the busier time. I'm no Spring chicken and start once more on 10th April. Great Camino!

I was half way through the comments before I remembered that I am now one of those “old men!” And I’m also eyeing the VP when I turn 60, in 2026 (if I can talk my boss into giving me a leave-of-absence).

I was a 46 year old female when I walked the VdlP. I was one of the younger ones walking. Until I hit the Sanabres I only came across two other women. One was a bicigrino and the other part of a couple. Did come across a couple of Uni students. Solo women are a bit of a rarity and the number of times people told me how brave I was drove me nuts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Of those I met on the VdlP last year, a rough breakdown would be

Men over 50 - 10
Men 30-50 -2
Men under 30 - 2
Women over 50 - 3
Women 30-50 -1
Women under 30 - 2
Couples 50+ 2

A fair cross section really.

By gender
16 male (10 alone)
8 female (6 alone)
24 total

most alone, but
2 M/F couples.
2 x 2 male friends

Last edited:
I walked with my husband last year and we met quite a few couples from France, Netherlands, Latvia, a few other Australian men and a few younger German females so an equal mix really.

In autumn 2022 I met people of all ages, - solo women, women walking with female friends, woman walking with male partners, women, walking with a small group of men - but I guess there were also a lot of men over the age of 50. I remember one section where I was the only female in the albergue with 4 to 6 males.
However, because I was looking forward to a rather solitary Camino, it really didn’t matter the ages of the other Pilgrims.
By the time I got towards the end of the Sanabres, I was walking parallel with a young woman, a young man just out of school.
I think @Robo ’s figures, probably reflect my experience.
But you just never know who you will find on the Via.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back