• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Inside Castle in Ponferrada?

Esther Jantzen

Has anyone been inside the Templar castle in Ponferrada? I'm wondering what it's like. Could a child get lost in it for awhile?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Esther,
I've been in it. It's not as complete as the Templar Castle in Peñiscola near Valencia, but it is a wonder, nonetheless. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting it and do think it is worthwhile. You can climb the ramparts, wander around inside and, as it is still under restoration, I'm sure there is more to see every year.

They have a nice sello for your credencial as well. I would definitely recommend stopping for a visit especially if it is the only castle you have seen.

Buen Camino,

We wandered about inside but away from the walls it was mainly grassy hillocks and ruins - no major rooms or anything like that. It is HUGE - it developed from a small settlement with a fence in the 12thC and was fortified by the Templars in the 13thC,

Reading from the brochure:

Plans shows that there was a mine, towers, a great hall, a well, upper and lower dining halls, granaries, cellars, armoury, many buildings, thatched huts and pathways within the walls.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks again, Sil, for this info. I was wondering about this because I want to write about it in my children's book, and I want to be accurate. It looks like I'm just going to have to make another trip to get it right. What a good excuse.

Have a lovely weekend!
Esther

Most read last week in this forum