• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2% increase in Compostela numbers in 2023

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
An article from El Correo Gallego commenting on another record year for pilgrims receiving Compostelas. With some breakdown of trends about most favoured routes and the nationalities of this year's pilgrims. If today's total for arrivals shown on the pilgrim office website is correct then the final total for 2023 is just over 446,000.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Muchas gracias. 😉

When the article says that 274 made their pilgrimage by "vela," what do they mean? It's a different number than the wheelchair pilgrims...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If today's total for arrivals shown on the pilgrim office website is correct then the final total for 2023 is just over 446,000.
@Bradypus,

Do you know if 2023 will be the first post-Holy-year-year in which the numbers have gone up instead of down? I thought that was a pretty regular phenomenon -- spike in Holy Year, then a decrease, but never back to the pre-Holy year level. And then the inching up till the next Holy Year spike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you know if 2023 will be the first post-Holy-year-year in which the numbers have gone up instead of down?
I've only seen totals for years back to 1970 but this year does seem to be the first one to follow a Holy Year when there has been an increase rather than a decrease. As Compostela numbers in "normal" years have risen the Holy Year spike has become a much less obvious phenomenon anyway.

Some interesting numbers there. I was surprised to see that slightly less than half arrived via the CF. I´d always thought it was much higher than that, though I knew that the Portugués has become very popular. But there was no mention of the Norte or Primitivo. Is this because they join the Francés before reaching Santiago? And considering that Andalucía is the place of origin of so many Spanish pilgrims, what about the VdlP? I was also surprised that ´Norteamericanos´ represent the largest proportion of foreigners (though I suspect the newspaper has made the usual error of including Canadians and excluding Mexicans). Let´s wait and see what happens next year.

I was surprised to see that slightly less than half arrived via the CF. I´d always thought it was much higher than that, though I knew that the Portugués has become very popular.
The Portugues and the Costa variant are growing very rapidly in popularity. The Costa in particular has seen extraordinary growth in recent years. I think the article does not mention the Norte or the Primitivo because they are far behind the Frances and Portugues in numbers. The pilgrim office's own statistics page puts the numbers in perspective.

1704066131058.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Bradypus,

Do you know if 2023 will be the first post-Holy-year-year in which the numbers have gone up instead of down? I thought that was a pretty regular phenomenon -- spike in Holy Year, then a decrease, but never back to the pre-Holy year level. And then the inching up till the next Holy Year spike.
This is correct BUT ignores the context that 2020-2022 was a very unusual period for world travel in recent history because of the Pandemic.

As a result, even though 2022 was a holy year the number of pilgrims was significantly less than in 2019.

In addition
, The title of this thread and all discussion that compares 2023 pilgrim numbers with 2022 numbers without taking into account the context of the Pandemic on world travel and the shift in pilgrim numbers from the longer routes to shorter routes is presenting only a partial picture and is therefore misleading.

2019 was the last "normal" year prior to the pandemic. Looking at the period from 2017 through 2019 we see a relatively stable year on year increase in pilgrim numbers by around 8% a year, being 301,036 in 2017; 327,377 in 2018 and 347,566 in 2019. Note: all numbers sourced from Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela via the excellent website https://solviturambulando.es/en/el-camino-de-santiago/camino-de-santiago-stats/ which allows much better flexibility and is maintained by @diegoromerosm

However these overall numbers mask some important shifts in pilgrims choice of route. Pilgrims starting in St. Jean were relatively stable with a slight dip in 2018 (33,177; 32,899; 33,193). Meanwhile the shorter Portuguese routes increased markedly in popularity with the coastal starting in Oporto, for example markedly increasing (2,634; 6,184; 11,421). Pilgrims starting in Sarria increased steadily (79,718; 88,509; 96,121). Pilgrims also displayed an increasing preference for the Ingles with numbers starting from Ferrol being (10,822; 13,335; 15,098). Overall all of the main shorter routes had significant increases year on year. In general the less popular longer routes such as the VDLP and others have such few numbers that they should be analysed separately.

Then the pandemic shut down national and international travel and the first year to exceed 2019 overall pilgrim numbers was 2022 and so this is the point where we might consider that pilgrims had returned to pre-pandemic habits. However, 2022 was a "Holy" year by decree and going on historical patterns we would have expected to see a largish increase over the overall 2019 numbers.

I did a paper based analysis of 2019; 2022 and 2023 figures with a breakdown into the most popular starting cities and into a rough seasonal breakdown of Spring (March-June); Summer (July-August) and Autumn (September -November). Being paper based it may have some errors but I did give it a quick check and I am reasonably confident in it. The rough seasonal breakdown is to try to see if international pilgrims (often walking in Spring and Autumn) are making different choices from Spanish pilgrims who mostly tend to walk in their Summer July-August holidays. In general, my theory is that Holy years influence Spanish pilgrims more than international pilgrims although I would assume that all pilgrim numbers tend to increase to some degree in a Holy year.

If there is a noticeable Holy year effect then I would expect to see a bigish jump from 2019 numbers to 2022 numbers and then a fall back from 2022 numbers in 2023.

During Spring (when there tends to be more international pilgrims I dont see that pattern. On the shorter routes I generally see a steady year on year increase, for example, Sarria (37,461; 44,943; 49,188); Tui (6,833; 9,589; 10,399); Ferrol (5,303; 6,629; (7,930). Something odd happened with the Portuguese Coastal starting in Oporto (4,267; 3,298; 7,241); the numbers dipped in 2022 then did a big jump to 2023. The Pilgrim Office in Santiago does a weird mixed analysis it tries to categorise by starting city but for the Portuguese routes where several can start in the same city of Oporto they break the numbers into Oporto (traditional) and Oporto Coastal. It may be possible that these two sets of numbers got cross contaminated in 2022. Looking at the numbers of pilgrims starting in St. Jean during Spring for 2019; 2022 and 2023 we see that in 2022 the numbers starting dropped markedly in 2022 and then recovered to 2019 levels in 2023 (13,531; 10,675; 13,800).

During the summer months of July and August we do see the expected pattern that has been noted in prior Holy years where the Holy year numbers are much higher then fall back again in the following year in all starting cities except St. Jean. Sarria for example is (33,006; 47,684; 41,270); Tui (10,479; 14,758; 12,793) and Ferrol (6,010; 9,974; 7,996). St. Jean shows a dip in numbers in 2022 which is maintained in 2023 (7,559; 6,175; 6,104). This highlights the probable different choices made by Spanish versus international pilgrims and it looks like some international pilgrims may be avoiding Holy years or else St. Jean has not recovered as a popular starting point.

During Autumn, another popular starting time for international pilgrims, particularly, I think, for North American pilgrims we see a steady growth in popularity for the shorter routes and a recovery to 2019 numbers for those starting in St. Jean. Sarria (24,045; 37,458; 34,475); Tui (5,217; 8,664; 9,512); Ferrol (3,483; 5,791; 6,550). St. Jean (11,357; 10,652; 11,226).

Overall I would say that we have seen the Holy year pattern on the shorter routes, particularly for those pilgrims starting in Sarria and particularly during summer when more Spanish pilgrims tend to walk. During periods popular with international pilgrims we see a big growth on the shorter routes particularly those routes associated with the Portuguese caminos. In the case of pilgrims starting in St. Jean the numbers have finally got back to where they were in 2019.

What this all means for 2024 is anyone's guess!

Edited to correct an incorrect statement and to add comments.

Last edited:
The Portugues and the Costa variant are growing very rapidly in popularity. The Costa in particular has seen extraordinary growth in recent years. I think the article does not mention the Norte or the Primitivo because they are far behind the Frances and Portugues in numbers. The pilgrim office's own statistics page puts the numbers in perspective.

View attachment 161632

I aasu

View attachment 161632

Does anyone know if the Via de La Plata numbers are based on where the pilgrims state they started, or by what route they arrived into Santiago? I’m curious if they are counting those that walked the Plata and connected to the Frances or if they had to come to Santiago via the Sanabres for example.

As a result, even though 2022 was a holy year the number of pilgrims was significantly less than in 2019.
In 2019 the total number of Compostelas issued was 347,566. In 2022 the total was 438,307. An increase by more than 90,000. Or are you arguing about definitions and suggesting that only a particular subset of those who received Compostelas should be regarded as truly "pilgrims"?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is correct BUT ignores the context that 2020-2022 was a very unusual period for world travel in recent history because of the Pandemic.

In addition, the title of this thread and all discussion that compares 2023 pilgrim numbers with 2022 numbers without taking into account the context of the Pandemic on pilgrim numbers is misleading.
Bradypus is simply quoting figures, not extrapolating or interpolating cause and effect. The figures clearly show that there were more arrivals in 2023 than there were in 2022 and there were more in 2022 than in 2019.

As regards context, and in particular 2022, not only was it a Jubilee year, it was a postponed Jubilee year plus it was the first year of open travel after a worldwide pandemic had put a stop to international travel. Therefore one would have expected to see a drop in 2023, so even a 2% increase is worth noting.

I wonder how many are pilgrims who walked twice or more in one year and received compostelas for each, as my kid did. (Of course, those may be outnumbered by the ones who walk into Santiago but for whatever reason don’t get compostelas).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, @DoughnutANZ, I appreciate your elaboration. My comment was an off the top of my head observation, not intended to make any statement about statistical trends, just something that struck me as interesting as I visualized the graph of pilgrim numbers from the 70s that has produced fairly regularized trends up and down. I don’t think anyone ignores the fact that covid upset the apple cart and has had a huge impact on pilgrim behavior and total numbers.

I enjoyed your explanation of the possible causes and agree that there is very little predictive value of any of this. Like you, I’m looking forward to seeing what 2024 will bring.

My comment was an off the top of my head observation, not intended to make any statement about statistical trends, just something that struck me as interesting as I visualized the graph of pilgrim numbers from the 70s that has produced fairly regularized trends up and down.
A set of interactive charts has just appeared on the Solviturambulando website. Allowing for quick visual comparisons of numbers on various Caminos over the past 20 years. Including their starting points. What caught my eye in particular is how far Roncesvalles has declined in popularity as a starting point since 2003 while over the same period numbers walking from Porto have multiplied almost 100x.

1704120250573.png

View attachment 161632

One question I have, is which category a person starting in Saint Jean then following the Invierno from Ponferrada would fall into. Traffic on the forum suggests that the Invierno is becoming more popular, and it would be interesting to know whether the statistics undercount this or whether we have a sample bias here.

HNY

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As regards context, and in particular 2022, not only was it a Jubilee year, it was a postponed Jubilee year plus it was the first year of open travel after a worldwide pandemic had put a stop to international travel. Therefore one would have expected to see a drop in 2023, so even a 2% increase is worth noting
I think that there were still many, many people who were reluctant to travel, and particularly wary of sleeping in shared accommodations in 2022. So it's not surprising that those people delayed their Caminos to 2023.

One question I have, is which category a person starting in Saint Jean then following the Invierno from Ponferrada would fall into. Traffic on the forum suggests that the Invierno is becoming more popular, and it would be interesting to know whether the statistics undercount this or whether we have a sample bias here.

HNY
Subtle are the ways of the Pilgrim's Office. If a pilgrim declares their starting point as StJdP then that is what is counted. If a pilgrim declares an assortment of deviations, diversions and departures from THE WAY then the pilgrim office volunteer will likely refer said pilgrim to the one that does Distance Certificates and move on to the next in the queue. For Compostella purposes said pilgrim probably started their quest in Chantada (two stamps per day and no slacking)

Camino statistics have a lot in common with ghost stories - nebulous at best

Some interesting numbers there. I was surprised to see that slightly less than half arrived via the CF. I´d always thought it was much higher than that, though I knew that the Portugués has become very popular. But there was no mention of the Norte or Primitivo. Is this because they join the Francés before reaching Santiago? And considering that Andalucía is the place of origin of so many Spanish pilgrims, what about the VdlP? I was also surprised that ´Norteamericanos´ represent the largest proportion of foreigners (though I suspect the newspaper has made the usual error of including Canadians and excluding Mexicans). Let´s wait and see what happens next year.
I suspect that "Norteamericanos" was used to mean "Americans" as opposed to North Americans. That's what it meant when I was living in Spain (much to my dismay as a Canadian). They, of course, don't use "Americanos" because that means people from the Americas.

They wrote:
Por nacionalidades, y tras los españoles, se sitúan en primer lugar los norteamericanos. Un total de 32.000 estadounidenses recibieron la compostela en el Centro Internacional de Acogida ubicado en la rúa de Carretas. En número, les siguieron los italianos (28.600), alemanes (24.300), portugueses (20.600), franceses (10.600) y británicos (10.500).

Immediately following the bolded text they use the synonym "estadounidenses" to also and unambiguously put the Americans in first place with 32,000 pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A set of interactive charts has just appeared on the Solviturambulando website.
View attachment 161655
The first chart illustrates nicely that there was no noticeable big spike in the total number of Compostelas for the Holy Years 2021 and 2022, unlike for 2004 and 2010 when the total number of Compostelas increased by some additional 100,000. There’s not much else that can be gleaned from these numbers.

In general, 2023 was apparently a record year for travelling, and records at the Santiago airport were beaten again as was reported today: Y mientras el Camino supera todos sus récords, la terminal de Rosalía De Castro, también. Entre enero y noviembre, el último mes del que hay datos, por el aeropuerto compostelano pasaron 3.294.815 de viajeros, lo que representa un 9,7 % que en el mismo periodo del año anterior y un 22,3 % más que en 2019, antes de la pandemia.

Does anyone know if the Via de La Plata numbers are based on where the pilgrims state they started, or by what route they arrived into Santiago? I’m curious if they are counting those that walked the Plata and connected to the Frances or if they had to come to Santiago via the Sanabres for example.

I am curious about this too. It has always surprised me a bit that the VdlP has never shown any similar growth as the Norte for example. That might indeed have something to do with the fact that this Camino is not ending in Santiago. And I guess also with the long distance. There will probably be many pilgrims who divide the VdlP in 2 or 3. But still, I think that the number of albergues also show that this has never become a very popular Camino. I walked it 10 years ago and it seems like the numbers haven't changed much since then. While the total of arrivals in Santiago doubled in that period.

I've just been asking Johnnie Walker about how those who walk the VdlP and those who end a Camino Frances walk via the Invierno are recorded in the statistics. John managed the pilgrim office for a while. He tells me that if someone starts from SJPDP but finishes via the Invierno they are likely to end up in the "Camino Frances" total unless they deliberately point out that they walked the Invierno. Those who walk the VdlP and join the Frances at Astorga are also routinely added to the Camino Frances pile. Only those who finish their VdlP walk via Ourense and the Sanabres end up in the VdlP stats. Which may lead to the VdlP being slightly underrepresented in the annual totals but the majority do in fact choose to walk via Ourense. The number who join the Frances at Astorga is probably very small. The statistics are an interesting guide to trends but not wholly reliable!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for asking @Bradypus! I think you are right, most pilgrims on the VdlP continue on the Sanabrés.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.